Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a plan to me. I have been to that Rookies a couple of times. It's a nice place and as you said it is in a nice spot far enough away from residential areas. Might as well try to get the ball rolling as soon as we can so everything will be ready for when the cars come back out. Might be good to maybe get some guys together and meet up sometime on one of the upcoming weekends to show them that we thoroughly support the idea.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds awesome. Hey, thats close to Walnut Woods
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

That Rookies, is like 3 blocks south of where I work. They do have bike nights there and last I knew they had a Corvette show there during the summer. And if my memory serves right they even had a Volkswagen show there. But anyways that is just up the road from where I live as well. They do have a grill on the outside as well

I think if we gather up there some time about 10 of us and have dinner and a few beers there while the main person is there we might make something happen. I'm sure I could gather a few additional peeps. Maybe even spread the word to the Camaro Club of Iowa folks, Mustang club, GTO folks, and the vette club as well.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkhalf
That Rookies, is like 3 blocks south of where I work. They do have bike nights there and last I knew they had a Corvette show there during the summer. And if my memory serves right they even had a Volkswagen show there. But anyways that is just up the road from where I live as well. They do have a grill on the outside as well

I think if we gather up there some time about 10 of us and have dinner and a few beers there while the main person is there we might make something happen. I'm sure I could gather a few additional peeps. Maybe even spread the word to the Camaro Club of Iowa folks, Mustang club, GTO folks, and the vette club as well.

Like the man said....."sounds like a plan".

If y'all want, I can make the initial contact on Friday with Keri, and set up a time when some of us here can get together with her and see if we can make something "official".

If you can get in touch with some of the other car club reps, (don't forget those 'nasty', heh, heh, Mopar guys either).... I also have an old Stude Hawk and can talk to the local Stude chapter as well.

Either keep in touch with the progress here on the forum, and/or flip me an email or PM if you'd like.

With a little bit of luck, we can generate some money for Rookies, and have a better showing of cars than Porkies ever dreamed of.

Don't forget, we need some "tunes" too. Anyone know a decent and "cheap" DJ?

I'm glad you people like the idea. I'm like the lot of ya, in that Hardees on SW 9th is, ehhhh ok, but........
Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

What's there parking lot like? Is there other businesses next to them that will bitch? Actually I think it was time for a change anyway, people were getting tired of Porky's. It seemed to me that the car counts were really down this year.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by caged02
What's there parking lot like? Is there other businesses next to them that will bitch? Actually I think it was time for a change anyway, people were getting tired of Porky's. It seemed to me that the car counts were really down this year.
Rookies, "owns" the lot directly in front of their place (the south side), where there is plenty of parking for "regular" customers.....to the East of them IIRC, they share the parking with other businesses, (which are usually closed at the time of evening that a 'cruise-in' would be in progress).

The cruise-in, I would presume, would be held in the West parking lot, adjacent to SW 63rd, and is exclusive for Rookies use. Probably space easy for 75 or more cars, just in the West lot alone.

I found parking at Porkies to be a real PITA due to all the doubling up that went on. If a person wasn't careful, they'd find themselves blocked in and there for the night.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

And then again, another little known cruise-in spot that's already established, is the 5 & Diner in Pleasant Hill (just East of the Fairgrounds) on University Ave on Tuesday evenings.

Good crowd shows up there, real nice variety of cars, of all ages, plenty of room still for an additional 30 or more cars, most park on the grass, plenty of shade. Food and drink on site.

Just a thought.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Launching!

The main issue is parking. Most of places I think would love to host something like that, but have insufficient parking to accommodate a good amount of cars. Also, lots of cars brings lots of attention which isn’t always a good thing. Need to make sure it is in an area where we wont be frowned on.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

There should be plenty of parking at that Rookies. Like Tuff Shift said, the other businesses are closed in the evening. Even the parking for Rookies alone would probably be sufficient. I have been there on a Saturday night and there were TONS of parking spots available. We need to get something going on this. I think it would be a good idea to meet up there some night with a bunch of us from the area and show them we mean business .
Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Good luck meeting with the expected weather coming here soon...At least I know my car is safe at my G-mas, and the bike is safe at a friends!

I would be up for doing a night like that. I don't have my car down here that frequently though during the school year. I need to locate a garage. I think I might be moving in with my GF next year, maybe then I can get my hands on a garage or two. Work garage and TA garage! Ill have to tag along in someone elses car when mine is not available.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Me to, or i could bring my LS powered truck...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkhalf

What about us former F-body owners that now have Ford's?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Eric91Z
What about us former F-body owners that now have Ford's?
What about you?

OK, fine, the more the marrier....
Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by M6WS6
Good luck meeting with the expected weather coming here soon...At least I know my car is safe at my G-mas, and the bike is safe at a friends!
I didn't mean bring our cars. Mine wont be out until the middle of March at the earliest. Just meet up with a few people, get to know each other, have a few drinks, and see if we can't work something out with the Rookies people.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

OMG Eric found the post.

I'm always game to meet up. I'm still out of town till late on the 14th, but any other day would work fine. If the roads are semi decent by then I'll bring out my toy.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Screamer27
OMG Eric found the post.

I'm always game to meet up. I'm still out of town till late on the 14th, but any other day would work fine. If the roads are semi decent by then I'll bring out my toy.
I think you better keep that toy back at home parked in the garage where it belongs If its the truck you are talking about as your "winter" toy ok fine
Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Screamer27
OMG Eric found the post.

That's right, I found it! Thought you could lose, me, huh..

Don't worry, the Marauder won't be coming out any time soon. It will be the Crown Vic....
Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rookies has a better menu than Porky's, but I will miss the grilled burgers from the patio. Post up when & I'll come over & have a few with you guys & I'm def up for some outings when Spring gets here.

I hate this white stuff & we are going to get more...
Old 12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey now..the white stuff is fun..for now.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Launching!

I never liked snow really too much here. Pain in the ***. I loved it however snowmobiling in WY. Didnt even snowmobile around here, never enough snow for me. Now, all I have is my TA and bike, and neither like this ****......

IM up for meeting w/e for a few drinks some night. Havent met any of the crew here formally, so that would be cool

Doesnt look like the intake swap is going to pan out here in the near future. Maybe the snowing is done after this week?!?!?!?!Melt, and be nice out?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?