Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
I was expecting more. I drove from Des Moines to Perry and the highways were perfectly fine. Of course it had been raining for a while though. It would have been a lot cooler if it would have fallen in the form of snow. There would be a lot of it. Not that I like snow all that much, but it can be fun sometimes.

It could have been worse, thats for sure. But it did not look good around here. Roads were complete crap and I did not enjoy driving on them, even the little that I did.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have I mentioned that Iowa weather sucks!!!!
I don't know why I am still here....There is way too much time to sit around & think about what I want to mod or buy.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keeps the miles off the cars though. That is a good thing for me. I like to drive my car way too much and seem to put miles on them very fast.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keeps the miles off the cars though. That is a good thing for me. I like to drive my car way too much and seem to put miles on them very fast.
I see your sig has changed a few times already. You have to drive them & enjoy them, that is what they are for... If it was a little warmer in my garage, I might be a happier. I plan on being in a new house next year, new house means bigger/better garage.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Unstang
I see your sig has changed a few times already. You have to drive them & enjoy them, that is what they are for... If it was a little warmer in my garage, I might be a happier. I plan on being in a new house next year, new house means bigger/better garage.
Very true. I paid a lot for the car. Might as well do the things I want to it and drive it every chance I get. I am spending way too much money on it though. I should probably cut back a little and actually try to save some, haha.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Have I mentioned that Iowa weather sucks!!!!
I don't know why I am still here....There is way too much time to sit around & think about what I want to mod or buy.
No ****! Being cooped up in the house means more time on here and making me want or buy more stuff for my car. Sounds like we are going to have to find a new place to hang out next spring, Porky's is closing after this month.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What?!? porkys on douglous is closing? it seemed like he was making a hell of a profit during the summer..
Old 12-04-2007, 10:02 PM
LS1TECH.com Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
What?!? porkys on douglous is closing? it seemed like he was making a hell of a profit during the summer..
I heard of the rumors going around last year of a hyvee drug store going there...guess its true.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

I heard the rumors too but also heard people say that Porky's was going to stay.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew Pork's was over, just didn't know if we'd get one last blow out bash for Spring. I have spent a ton of nights up there & I will miss it, as much as I hated it. (I know, that makes no sense...)

We will find a new spot & hopefully see some of the LS1tech crew out there!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://tinyurl.com/2akjoa

Enough said
Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah we will for sure have to find a new spot. I went to Porky's a couple of times last summer. It does get kind of old seeing the same people there all the time. I only saw a few Fbodys and they were parked across the street and I didn't get a chance to meet any of the owners. I wish the Mid-Iowa Camaro Club was larger and more people were active in it. It seems like people in other states have get togethers all the damn time. When people get together here it's only a few cars it seems like. We need to have something every couple of weeks or so in the summer where we all go meet up some place.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Launching!

I should probably cut back a little and actually try to save some, haha.
After I did my new motor I said that as well. Ended up saving money up because I wanted to hold off on the car for awhlie (and didnt want to change anything to drastic right after my motor swap ie nitrous) and ended up buying a bike with the money I had saved.....Now I find myself into that and looking already for another bike. I keep finding money holes, and I have a GF of 4 years that is looking for a modification to her left hand I think sometime soon. If it has **** or tires, the spending never ends!

RIP Porky's, had a few bike nights down there with the ISU motorcycle club. I had heard the rumors too, but didnt think they would do something to a company that has been so successful and has been around long enough!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Yeah we will for sure have to find a new spot. I went to Porky's a couple of times last summer. It does get kind of old seeing the same people there all the time. I only saw a few Fbodys and they were parked across the street and I didn't get a chance to meet any of the owners. I wish the Mid-Iowa Camaro Club was larger and more people were active in it. It seems like people in other states have get togethers all the damn time. When people get together here it's only a few cars it seems like. We need to have something every couple of weeks or so in the summer where we all go meet up some place.
+1, we need to start a group up, find a place to go and try to recruit! If it is a good group of guys (or girls) I can sit around the same ol group all day long BS'n. Start with the same ol and try to get more!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

Is it summer yet? Looks like we will be getting some snow tomorrow. Might not have to teach tomorrow . One of the good things about being a teacher.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think if we make a centralized location in Des Moines, a place that has tons of parking that is also accomodating for people for food etc it could be somewhat of a success. I know Hardees does their thing along SW9th, but that is usually a dive. Not sure what it would take, unless somebody knows a business owner or a manager of an establishment that would suit these needs...... Otherwise just have to wait and see what happens.

I think there are enough car enthusiasts in the Des Moines area that will eventually start up something. Just has to be spread by word of mouth or do some serious advertising in the paper, tv, radio etc.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darkhalf
I think if we make a centralized location in Des Moines, a place that has tons of parking that is also accomodating for people for food etc it could be somewhat of a success. I know Hardees does their thing along SW9th, but that is usually a dive. Not sure what it would take, unless somebody knows a business owner or a manager of an establishment that would suit these needs...... Otherwise just have to wait and see what happens.

I think there are enough car enthusiasts in the Des Moines area that will eventually start up something. Just has to be spread by word of mouth or do some serious advertising in the paper, tv, radio etc.
I know Trophy's bike night was getting pretty big last year, I look for them to try it...They tried a car night a few years ago & it bombed.

I'll go any place, a few cold drinks makes it even better though. I know someone will try to grab the Wed/Sat crowd for sure.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a club that has a deal with hardees for that lot next to them. I used to work for them, and i think its pay per car, something along $20.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I know Trophy's bike night was getting pretty big last year, I look for them to try it...They tried a car night a few years ago & it bombed.

I'll go any place, a few cold drinks makes it even better though. I know someone will try to grab the Wed/Sat crowd for sure.
You fellas might want to check into a place called Rookies, out on SW63rd south of Railroad Ave in West Des Moines.

They've already had reasonable success with a few car-gatherings and bike nites as well this past summer.

Nice new place, plenty big, lots of parking, food and drinks on the premises, far enough away from residential that we can make a little "noise" and not be pissing a bunch of people off.

I'd bet good money, that if a few of us made a concerted effort to get in touch with them, something on a regular basis could be hammered out Wednesday AND Saturday nites both.

Not just for the F-body crowd, but for all cool-car afficionados.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Teching In

As a quickie follow up, the "official" address of Rookies is 6151 Thornton Ave (why Thornton, I have no idea)...it is a block south of Park Ave facing SW 63rd on the East side of the street.

Ph# is 282-8045. I just checked with them and the contact person about this is Keri (a chick no less, looking good already) and she will be there on Friday between noon and two PM.

Let's see if we can really get something going. Yes, I too am going to miss Porkies, may the little piggy RIP.

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?