Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
HAHA, I would sure as hell hope so. It was a definate pain in the *** to get out!!!! I dont see how a 1/2 inch of the input shaft can be that much of a pain in the ***!!!!
I'm glad I was such a help in the process!!!! I'm so lazy I hauled my beater in to have a crank pulley installed. I'm probably getting bent over on the price of labor too!!! Thanks Scott!

I'm saving up my wrenching hours for the fun stuff...
Old 01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I was a real big help as well. I was the designated beer supplier for the day. I did learn to unbolt the tranny from the bell housing while it is still on the car for a much easier disassemble .

On a different note, I had Patrick G spec me a cam the other day. He came back with a 232/231 .612/.592” 111LSA +4 advance. If I go ahead with it I will be staying with the stock heads for the time being. I know what Rodney thinks of the cam but what do some of you other guys have to say about it?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
On a different note, I had Patrick G spec me a cam the other day. He came back with a 232/231 .612/.592” 111LSA +4 advance. If I go ahead with it I will be staying with the stock heads for the time being. I know what Rodney thinks of the cam but what do some of you other guys have to say about it?
He knows his stuff & everything I've read from people getting cams spec'd by him seem to love them.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Jason, when yah gonna help me do the heads/cam, along with the comp. eng. rear drag shocks, LCA's, catback and y pipe??? HAHAHAHAHAHA. I think i decided im just going to do it at my dads in Palo. I dont want to have to leave my car in des moines if somethign were to happen, let alone take someone elses garage space with my hoopty. Anyhow, as soon as he calls me and lets me know he has a spot cleaned out in the garage, its going in!!!!! Cant wait to start ripping it apart. Working on Scott's car got the blood flowing agian.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I was a real big help as well. I was the designated beer supplier for the day. I did learn to unbolt the tranny from the bell housing while it is still on the car for a much easier disassemble .

The lobe separation and advance should work very well with stock heads. Both will move the power lower in the RPM band. My only concern is will the power be where you want it with a good set of ported heads? With ported heads you may want to spin your motor higher than the cam makes power. Say for example the cam makes peak power at around 5800 (just a guess). If you added a set of ported heads that would flow better at higher rpm you could spin the motor higher, say 6500-6700rpm, and thus gear it lower (or stay in your gears longer with your current rear end). In this case that cam wouldn't be optimal. Another thing to consider when moving the powerband lower is that you really won't be lower than 3000rpm or so once you get off the line.

Patrick knows his stuff. And with lift and duration that big you may not have any issues with where the curve is. I'd just ask him where the peak will occur. Then figure out your plan for the car (heads?, gears?) and go from there.

Last edited by 99C5JA; 01-14-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Teching In

he wont have any issues with where the power comes in and peaks at. That cam should make alot of midrange torque, and great topend power. I just got a 226/230 .609/.588 on a 111+1 and min edoesnt peak untill shortly after 6000. Should peak around 6100-6200 with untouched LS6 heads. I just bought a set of ported heads, and dont think it will make much diff. I will be shifting at 6500-6600 regardless.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Default GMMG cat back for sale...

If anyone is interested, I think I am going to sell the GMMG cat back that I bought to put on my car. I just am afraid it is going to be to much for me to handle with my motor and off road y. I would like to get $400 for it, I also have a nice set of Corsa clone dual tips for it at an extra cost. PM me for details.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Teching In

i just picked up a magnaflow catback for mine. HA, i think it would just be too loud with my current dumps right after the headers with the cam. Someone pick up that GMMG, thats a hell of a deal!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Magnaflow is a great sounding cat back through LT headers/y pipe. Even stock it has a little bit of a bite.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
9 Second Club

Scott, if I had the money to buy the GMMG I would be all over it since it is such a great deal. However, the cam and other stuff is going to set me back a bit and is already more than I want to spend right now. I have heard the GMMG on a cammed car and it sounds great. I also like the idea of my SLP dual/dual quieting the car down a lot when the cutout is closed. Then if I want it loud all I have to do is flip the switch. I am sure you wont have any trouble selling it though.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scott, let me try that chamber thingy in place of my SS SLP muffler & see how it sounds.

BTW, I picked up my ES 300 tonight...

Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by caged02
If anyone is interested, I think I am going to sell the GMMG cat back that I bought to put on my car. I just am afraid it is going to be to much for me to handle with my motor and off road y. I would like to get $400 for it, I also have a nice set of Corsa clone dual tips for it at an extra cost. PM me for details.
Scott I'm going to get a hold of Nate on this. I bet he would be interested and he is only 10 minutes away from you. Let me get a hold of him.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Unstang
BTW, I picked up my ES 300 tonight...
Nice car. I'm still searching for that perfect 04-05 GP GTP Comp G. package.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
he wont have any issues with where the power comes in and peaks at. That cam should make alot of midrange torque, and great topend power. I just got a 226/230 .609/.588 on a 111+1 and min edoesnt peak untill shortly after 6000. Should peak around 6100-6200 with untouched LS6 heads. I just bought a set of ported heads, and dont think it will make much diff. I will be shifting at 6500-6600 regardless.
Well his cam is running more advance and if yours peaks at a little over 6000, I'd think it it would peak before 6000. Nothing wrong with shifting slightly past peak, but you don't want to shift too far past it. If he can make slight changes to the cam to make it better in the long run, now is the time to do it.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darkhalf
Nice car. I'm still searching for that perfect 04-05 GP GTP Comp G. package.
I'm in it cheap!

What are you daily driving right now?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Here it is, Jason sure is in it cheap! People just flock to the thing though, like its a james bond car or something

Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
Well his cam is running more advance and if yours peaks at a little over 6000, I'd think it it would peak before 6000. Nothing wrong with shifting slightly past peak, but you don't want to shift too far past it. If he can make slight changes to the cam to make it better in the long run, now is the time to do it.
I am talking to Thunder Racing today. What changes do you think I should make? Will this cam not be a good choice if I plan on doing heads later on down the road? I told Patrick that I eventually plan on running different heads but for right now it will be cam only for awhile. He also said that this cam will have strong power from 2500 rpm on up. Said that it is an area under the curve cam and will have fantastic mid range torque. I don't want something that is all top end, but still want something that will pull decently up there though. If that makes sense and is possible, haha.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Unstang
I'm in it cheap!

What are you daily driving right now?
2002 Buick Lesabre Limited Now that is
Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am talking to Thunder Racing today. What changes do you think I should make? Will this cam not be a good choice if I plan on doing heads later on down the road? I told Patrick that I eventually plan on running different heads but for right now it will be cam only for awhile. He also said that this cam will have strong power from 2500 rpm on up. Said that it is an area under the curve cam and will have fantastic mid range torque. I don't want something that is all top end, but still want something that will pull decently up there though. If that makes sense and is possible, haha.
You running the stock 3.42 gears?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Patrick G. knows his stuff. If it were me I'd just ask him if I should make any changes to the cam with ported heads and say a 6500rpm or so limit in mind. My guess is it will be pretty much the same cam with just slightly more lobe separation and a little less advance (112+2). Or he may tell you that the cam will be fine as is.

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?