Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey andy - it sounds like the TB starter is toast. have you tried replacing it with a new unit? My camaro did the same thing, it started periodaclly then one night i got nothing for almost an hour and by luck it started, then that morning i replaced it and it was fine.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Rogue86, I watched you run down at eddyville a few years back. We brought a gang of guys from ankeny's DMACC with us, and we picked up quite a few guys from the osky area too. I had a White 02 WS6. That night Mike (WS6store) had his 03 black Cobra, and Josh (WS6store) had a black 01 WS6. I think I might actually have a vid of your car tearing up a DSM I don't know if we ever talked in person though, I know i talked to you on thirdgen.org

Welcome to all the new guys Hopefully we can have an Iowa LS1tech get together sometime. Just have to wait for mother nature to cooperate.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
On another note. Anyone know anything about Trailblazers? My parents have an 02 with a 105k on it. Last winter it wouldn't start. Battery was fully charged so we thought it was the starter. However the thing would not even engage. So we arched the starter and got it to go and it has been fine since a few weeks ago. It would not start again. Tried arching the starter but this time it did not start this way, just spun the starter and sounded like it wasn't engaging. Let it sit for a day or two, came back and tried it and it started right off. Put a new battery in it since the old one was toast. Now today, it did it again. Tried arching it again to no avail. When the key is turned it does nothing. All the lights and everything come on. This is really pissing my Dad off. Would it be the starter you think? I have also heard of ignition problems with these things. Does that sound more reasonable since the starter doesn't even engage? We are lost here and are about ready to just have it towed some place. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
That sounds like what my fiances car is doing. Some days it will start, somedays it wont do ****, go back the next and can get it started again. Sometimes If I crank the **** out of it it will fire. I pulled all the plugs, everything was getting spark. Two plugs looked dryer than the others so Im runing some injector cleaner through it. See if that works maybe... Let me know what you come up with, will have to look into the TB starter or w/e it was

As for helping with cars, this weekend wont work, next weekend might be ok. I have 2 tests next week and 2 assignments as well. Damn my ME classes...
Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 373 Likes on 273 Posts

Rogue86.....I'm on here all the time...lol...I spend most of my time in the nitrous sectiontrying to learn. Planning on being at Eddyville opening day if I get my roll bar installed in time. If not I might go anyway maybe make one pass before I get sent home

Unstang...I got my nitrous daves dedicated fuel system installed and working. Tested the system by spraying fuel into a bottle and it works like a charm. Then, my purge quit working on me it wasn't getting a good ground. It was grounded to the same place it always was and the connections were good I went ahead and ran another wire to another ground and now it works.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Unstang...I got my nitrous daves dedicated fuel system installed and working. Tested the system by spraying fuel into a bottle and it works like a charm. Then, my purge quit working on me it wasn't getting a good ground. It was grounded to the same place it always was and the connections were good I went ahead and ran another wire to another ground and now it works.
That sounds odd on the ground, at least you got it working now. I can't wait to see that thing go again!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Rogue86.....I'm on here all the time...lol...I spend most of my time in the nitrous sectiontrying to learn. Planning on being at Eddyville opening day if I get my roll bar installed in time. If not I might go anyway maybe make one pass before I get sent home

Sounds like your car has came a long way since the last time I saw it about 2 years ago.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M6WS6
That sounds like what my fiances car is doing. Some days it will start, somedays it wont do ****, go back the next and can get it started again. Sometimes If I crank the **** out of it it will fire. I pulled all the plugs, everything was getting spark. Two plugs looked dryer than the others so Im runing some injector cleaner through it.

Sounds like the fuel pump could be bad. You should check the fuel pressure, with the engine off & with it idling.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thought id drop back in. Pulled my heads last sunday to replace some valves. Broke a timing chain cruise through the woods last year.

rouge you happen to have the stock drive train out of that car?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M6WS6
That sounds like what my fiances car is doing. Some days it will start, somedays it wont do ****, go back the next and can get it started again. Sometimes If I crank the **** out of it it will fire. I pulled all the plugs, everything was getting spark. Two plugs looked dryer than the others so Im runing some injector cleaner through it. See if that works maybe... Let me know what you come up with, will have to look into the TB starter or w/e it was

As for helping with cars, this weekend wont work, next weekend might be ok. I have 2 tests next week and 2 assignments as well. Damn my ME classes...
It wont do ANYTHING when you turn the key. No cranking, no nothing. Then sometimes it will start just like normal. Something is up with the ignition or starter. We towed it to a shop to look at it. Hopefully it wont be too expensive.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

I'm posting this for a friend/coworker. He doesn't get on the forums. He has a 2004 gto black w/black interior. It has 10,004 miles on it. The car has been babied so much that I give him sh*t about it all the time. Bone stock down to the tires has never done a burn out or even been wot!!! It's an A4 and he's asking $20,000 for it.

If anyone is interested PM me and I will send you his phone number so you can talk to him directly. He lives in Ottumwa.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
It wont do ANYTHING when you turn the key. No cranking, no nothing. Then sometimes it will start just like normal. Something is up with the ignition or starter. We towed it to a shop to look at it. Hopefully it wont be too expensive.
Sounds like your VATS is taking a ****. My 3.4 did that and my buddies did it to.

I took the $300 GM route and had it all replaced including new keys. He took the 3cent route and put a resistor inline to trick the computer, but sometimes it didn't always work on the first try.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Haha yeah, well either way dont forget to stop by and shoot the **** for awhile.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Screamer27
Hey Rogue86, I watched you run down at eddyville a few years back. We brought a gang of guys from ankeny's DMACC with us, and we picked up quite a few guys from the osky area too. I had a White 02 WS6. That night Mike (WS6store) had his 03 black Cobra, and Josh (WS6store) had a black 01 WS6. I think I might actually have a vid of your car tearing up a DSM I don't know if we ever talked in person though, I know i talked to you on thirdgen.org

Welcome to all the new guys Hopefully we can have an Iowa LS1tech get together sometime. Just have to wait for mother nature to cooperate.
Yeah, I've still got that clip on my computer, you had sent it to me. That was from back in the old 350ci days. A ls1 tech get together sounds good. If the new car isn't done by then, I'll just throw the weld magnums on the 3.4 daily driver to throw people off haha.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 355z28
rouge you happen to have the stock drive train out of that car?
Nope, it was just toasted 3.4 with an auto, so i tossed it.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! this thread is still going. I think I must be the only guy down south.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

We should really set a time/date for a track outing...All the schedules are out, I'd prefer to race 1/4 mile, but outside of that, I'd go anywhere.

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Unstang
Sounds like the fuel pump could be bad. You should check the fuel pressure, with the engine off & with it idling.
That is what I thought it was too at first. It had the fuel pump replaced a year ago this month. Its been giving us trouble the last 3 months or so, almost every two weeks. I havent dont anything with fuel pressure yet because I have no means of checking it myself. Everytime we bring it in it starts fine and they told use the fuel pressure was good.
w/o a fuel pressure gauge I cant tell myself if it is fuel pump. Only reason I think it isnt the fuel pump is when I got sprayed with fuel when the spark plugs were out. and two were pretty wet..
Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Everyone take a looky here https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...67#post8867367
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rogue86
I've tried to talk to the track promoter in the past about something like this, but he just shrugged me off. Wes Buck was a waaayyy better in my opinion!

I signed the petition even tho I probably won't be able to do it because of safety regulations that I will not be able to pass. I would still like to see it as a race fan! The rules leave it pretty wide open so I think you will still see race cars that no "true" street car will be able to compete with.

Props to you for trying to make it happen!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I'm sure there would be some cars that would be on the edge of "street" but I'm hoping the headlights and small tires will keep the bracket racers out of it.

With the chances of my car being done for this race season at slim to none, I would love to help organize this at the track, and run the qualifying, eliminations, ect. At least then they can't say they dont have someone to do it then.

I'm ready to fight an uphill battle for this, but I want to make it happen!

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?