Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean, ill give him a ring tomarrow and see what he says.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're probably right about not using the flex agent. i think i'll just get a new cover and not take the chance again
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Alright he went up a little in price but thats about like anything else lol.

He said to Fix your current bumper cover he uses a flexable/sandable epoxy and to do that and paint it it would be 450 bucks thats all of the materials included.

Then he said if you were to buy a new bumber cover and bring it to him to scuff it for paint and to paint it (him buying the materials) would be $250.

He'll just need your VIN# so he can get the exact paint.

Just thought id let you know!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Put about a 4 inch crack right by my fog light and busted my turn signal. You can hardly see the crack though so it isn't THAT big of a deal but still pisses me off though.
A remanufactured GM cover will run you $350, a new GM cover is around $460. Trying to fix your broken cover, where your damage is might not be a great idea though.

The VIN is not going to decode your paint color exactly. GM red is a biatch & there are going to be different variances, so the paint should be mixed with the car there so test cards can be shot & looked at next to the car in different light.

$250 to paint & install a bumper would be a good deal, book time for just paint/clear coat is 3.5 hours, the book time to R&I the cover is another 2.5 hours.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Not arguing lol just adding to what you said to clear it up!
I agree with the crack on the bumper cover but its worth taking a look at just to make sure he would want to get a new one.

Originally Posted by Unstang
A remanufactured GM cover will run you $350, a new GM cover is around $460. Trying to fix your broken cover, where your damage is might not be a great idea though.

The VIN is not going to decode your paint color exactly. GM red is a biatch & there are going to be different variances, so the paint should be mixed with the car there so test cards can be shot & looked at next to the car in different light.

$250 to paint & install a bumper would be a good deal, book time for just paint/clear coat is 3.5 hours, the book time to R&I the cover is another 2.5 hours.
It would be matched to his current bumpers paint, but to narrow down the choices for alternative his VIN will bring it down to a few choices.

Also if it still doesnt match (which it should) it could also be scanned by a color gun to determine a match. But lately the Vindicator systems from ppg and dupont seem to working the best.

Last edited by 355z28; 03-25-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Post made me look like a dick
Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 355z28
Not arguing lol just adding to what you said to clear it up!
I agree with the crack on the bumper cover but its worth taking a look at just to make sure he would want to get a new one.
For sure, never hurts to try.

It would be matched to his current bumpers paint, but to narrow down the choices for alternative his VIN will bring it down to a few choices.

Also if it still doesnt match (which it should) it could also be scanned by a color gun to determine a match. But lately the Vindicator systems from ppg and dupont seem to working the best.
I had a red Z28 done recently, let's just say that the Vindicator didn't hit the color perfect...His car is in much better shape though & has seen way less harsh weather, so the color may not be as bad to hit right on. No matter what method it is, a decent painter should be able to get it right.

Last edited by Unstang; 03-25-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: bad job quoting...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Anyone know where to get a plug in connector that goes to the maf on a stock ls1 maf? Mine rubbed the pulley a little and kind of messed it up. I'd like to find a new connector and wire it up to my factory wiring so it will plug in with my current maf.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Anyone know where to get a plug in connector that goes to the maf on a stock ls1 maf? Mine rubbed the pulley a little and kind of messed it up. I'd like to find a new connector and wire it up to my factory wiring so it will plug in with my current maf.
Dealer could get ya one.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess my best bet will be to take it to a shop and get an estimate just to see what I'm looking at. I don't think I will be able to afford to get it fixed anytime soon. I need to get my cam installed and get a tune which will eat up a decent chunk of change. I will keep your buddy in mind 355Z28 (sorry don't know your name). It really isn't bad enough to bother me too much. I think I can live with it for a bit. Hopefully by June or July I will be able to get it fixed. I have a few rock chips here and there that I need touched up too. Damn cars, they can never be perfect. Oh well, that's what I get for driving it all the time which is the reason I bought it anyway.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Oreillys should be able to get one for you, if they look it up on their "teamnet" on borg warners site it should give them the pigtail part number and they should have it the next day.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess my best bet will be to take it to a shop and get an estimate just to see what I'm looking at. I don't think I will be able to afford to get it fixed anytime soon. I need to get my cam installed and get a tune which will eat up a decent chunk of change. I will keep your buddy in mind 355Z28 (sorry don't know your name). It really isn't bad enough to bother me too much. I think I can live with it for a bit. Hopefully by June or July I will be able to get it fixed. I have a few rock chips here and there that I need touched up too. Damn cars, they can never be perfect. Oh well, that's what I get for driving it all the time which is the reason I bought it anyway.
Mine looks horrible from all the chips and stuff almost looks like a beat up POS.
and my names Austin, im slowly pickin up on all your names lol.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Just thought I would throw this out there, if anybody is looking to buy some drag radials I have a brand new pair of Nitto 275/40/17 Drag radials I would like to sell. I do not want to ship these, I will take $300. They have never been mounted.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wrapping up all of my work today, leaving for the glitz, glam & hoochies of Las Vegas tomorrow.

I'd say wish me luck, but that won't help...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Unstang
I'm liking Hooters alot after last night!!!! Best I've ever seen at the DSM location!
Jason,
Let me know where you and Scott are planning on the doing the Wed GTG. I am there.

Brad
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Oreillys should be able to get one for you, if they look it up on their "teamnet" on borg warners site it should give them the pigtail part number and they should have it the next day.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if they could get something like that or not.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Down Under
hey everyone -- wanted to check in on the iowa thread -- i just joined, more info on that in the into fourm.

looking forward to seeing how many other GTOs are on this site especially, after browsing around on this site i can't believe how big it is

i plan on being out a lot with my GTO as the weather continues to get nicer, i'd be down for some cruising in DSM!
Welcome to the site...There are a lot of GTOs around the Des Moines area. Several are on the LS1GTO.com site that Darkhalf posted. See ya around!

Brad
Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brad, I have your number. We plan on rolling out on 4/2/08! If the weather is bad, we'll just try the next week or I'll post here about a Sat GTG that weekend.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Andy, I think I saw you on Merle Hay today, I was in my beater truck, you where heading south kinda by the McDonalds, I was on my way back from the auto parts store. I just picked up new plugs for the TA, and finally got it running with the mail order tune. YEY!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamer27
Hey Andy, I think I saw you on Merle Hay today, I was in my beater truck, you where heading south kinda by the McDonalds, I was on my way back from the auto parts store. I just picked up new plugs for the TA, and finally got it running with the mail order tune. YEY!!!
Yeah man that was me. Finally got moved into the apartment off of Merle Hay behind Dahl's. Next time try to get my attention, haha.

I am going to be sending my PCM out to Speed next week. Rodney and I are installing my cam this weekend and I want to be able to drive it somewhat normal after the swap. Think it will run ok with the mail order tune for the time being? I need to then find a time to get it out there for a full dyno tune.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

I just got my Mail order tune back from FLP, and it runs ok, its pig rich at idle, and it kinda wants to stumble every now and then, but its a base tune. Playing with a prehistoric copy of auto tap and ls1 edit circa feb 03

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?