Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Peoria IL area people inside!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Peoria IL area people inside!

I need to find someplace to live in Peoria, I am moving there next month. I am not looking for an apartment (I cant do that anymore) I am looking for a house/townhouse/duplex type deal, preferably with a garage. I am not trying to spend over $450/mo for rent either unless it includes some utilities. I also have a dog, so it has to be pet friendly. I will be living with my boss for a little bit when I first move up there (hes buying a house) but that is just going to be temporary until his wife moves up there at the end of the school year (shes a teacher)

Any advice on where to start looking? I have already hit up craigslist and have found some possible candidates, just waiting to get pics. What areas should I avoid? The restaurant I will be working at (www.hickoryriver.com) will be located on War Memorial DR near the mall. Any help is greatly appreciated, I plan on making a road trip up there here in the next couple weeks for a long day or so.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dantastic might be able to help you out here. I know he went through this process not too long ago.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would call up some realtors and talk to them. I dealt with Remax when I bought my house last year. The cool thing is that the realtor is free to you.

If you want ot buy from an owner you can try:
www.cifsbo.com
Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
I would call up some realtors and talk to them. I dealt with Remax when I bought my house last year. The cool thing is that the realtor is free to you.

If you want ot buy from an owner you can try:
www.cifsbo.com

Originally Posted by The Captain
I am not trying to spend over $450/mo for rent either unless it includes some utilities.
I think he's looking to rent Pete.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson88
I think he's looking to rent Pete.
Oops, didnt read close enough.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Teching In

How nice of a neighbor hood are you looking to live in? My girlfriend has a house she may rent, but its somewhat ghetto of a neighborhood. But it is a nice little house.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

You'll have a hard time finding a place up around the mall for 450 much less a house. My place is a 2br apartment with a garage and i pay 750. My roomate used to live in some apartments right by where you'll be working with covered parking and he payed 500 and it included all the utilities. i was originally in the market for a house but they were either in shitty neighborhoods or kinda dumpy. if you change your mind about apartment living i could help out but other than that... i'd probably check down sterling ave. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Captain
I need to find someplace to live in Peoria, I am moving there next month. I am not looking for an apartment (I cant do that anymore) I am looking for a house/townhouse/duplex type deal, preferably with a garage. I am not trying to spend over $450/mo for rent either unless it includes some utilities. I also have a dog, so it has to be pet friendly. I will be living with my boss for a little bit when I first move up there (hes buying a house) but that is just going to be temporary until his wife moves up there at the end of the school year (shes a teacher)

Any advice on where to start looking? I have already hit up craigslist and have found some possible candidates, just waiting to get pics. What areas should I avoid? The restaurant I will be working at (www.hickoryriver.com) will be located on War Memorial DR near the mall. Any help is greatly appreciated, I plan on making a road trip up there here in the next couple weeks for a long day or so.
Here's my advice. Don't move into Peoria, especially if you plan on settling in and raising a family. It's crime ridden and lets just say not a place you would want to live if you have a choice, and you do.

I can't remember the top crime city in IL, I believe it's Decatur, but i know Peoria is on the A list, that's for sure. Move into Bloomington or Normal, which is minutes away, you won't regret it. When i went to school at ISU (which wasn't too long ago), Bloomington's east side and south east side (closer to the air port and mall area) is absolutely beautiful. And i know there building like crazy over there. Maybe you could work a deal out on new development. I would check into that. I don't recommend the downtown area tho. West of the downtown reminds me of Peoria, however living east of the mall is far enough away to keep the trash out. East part of town has beautiful homes, quiet neighborhoods, very pleasant, and you are far enough away from the College part of Normal. I like too look at eye candy myself, jogging down the street but man with that came a lot of crap. Kids dealing just off campus, scummy frat houses, sorry never understood that lifestyle. I like living like a human . Well0 the area around the campus is not the greatest. Lets face it any campus is at least a little rundown, damn kids destroy everything, btw that's normal IL anyways, Bloomington has Wesleyan but still that's in the downtown.

Well please don't take offense when I say don't move into Peoria. That bit of advice is for your benefit. If you don't believe me google peoria's crime rate or something of that nature, you'll see what I mean.

Wish i could help you out more.

Last edited by Bones Z28; 10-07-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome advice...I'm sure he would love over an hour commute one way.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome advice...I'm sure he would love over an hour commute one way.
Still better than yours, at least i took the time. And that's all it is, advice, take it or leave it. I rather commute than live in a crime ridden area.

fyi Bloomington to Peoria is a 40 min drive, I've done it in 35 how i drive. Don't believe me? mapquest it.

Last edited by Bones Z28; 10-08-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will give no advice before I give horrible advice. Do you even know the area in Peoria he will be working? From the east/southeast area of Bloomington you are speaking of to that area of Peoria is over an hour...that's from maquest.

How long did you live in Peoria? I have grown up in the area and am all over the place nearly everyday and have had zero problems with crime. Most of the crime stays in the bad areas at night as with most urban areas.

Even if crime was an issue, better advice would be to look at East Peoria, Washington, Morton or some other neighboring cities. They are only 15-30 min drives roughly depending on which one and where at.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

I will give no advice before I give horrible advice. Do you even know the area in Peoria he will be working? From the east/southeast area of Bloomington you are speaking of to that area of Peoria is over an hour...that's from maquest.

How long did you live in Peoria? I have grown up in the area and am all over the place nearly everyday and have had zero problems with crime. Most of the crime stays in the bad areas at night as with most urban areas.

Even if crime was an issue, better advice would be to look at East Peoria, Washington, Morton or some other neighboring cities. They are only 15-30 min drives roughly depending on which one and where at.

First of all you need to get laid or something man. You come right out of nowhere and begin confrontation. Back off and go have a beer or something.

Secondly I don't live in Peoria nor would i ever. But passing through countless times I can definitely say that Bloomington is a better area. Break it all up into zones, Bloomington is nicer.

Look, this is my opinion and i'm giving my advice. If you don't like it too bad LOL. You can't say it's bad have you ever lived in Bloomington? I'll reverse your question on you.

Guy is looking for advice, i came in and told him what i've experienced. Like i've said you don't like it too bad, deal with it. I've wasted too much time on this already. Goodnight.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What does me getting laid have to do with your bad advice? I came out of nowhere and said your advice was not very good...no confrontation...I'm not getting excited...just pointing out some bad info.

Passing through doesn't mean anything. You are trying to give information on something you know nothing about.

I actually spend most of my weekends in Bloomington and did live there briefly too. I prefer to hang out in Bloomington as opposed to Peoria. I agree with you that the Bloomington/Normal area is nicer as a whole than the Peoria area. That being said, I would NEVER suggest that someone work in Peoria and live in Bloomington.

I simply pointed out the flaws in your info to prevent the poster from wasting his time.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

The area around the mall on War drive isn't that bad. I don't think we've had a single incident at the place I live since I've been there. As long as he isn't living around the Taft or Harrison homes down on the south end (where all the crime is) he'll be alright. You'd probably know that if you've done more than "pass through". Peoria is fine if you actually know Peoria. It's just going to cost some $$ to live in the nicer places. Basically the farther northwest you go, the better.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yerah, its not all bad,,believe me, Chicago and other big cities, even Bloomington Normal, has its bad parts too, and its much bigger,,soooooo, i dont think that Peoria is any worse,,think of this way,,,Peoria is smack in the middle of St Louis, and Chicago,,so everyone running from the law in those two big cities,,may end up in Peoria for a visit...

Also,,Bloomington / Normal is a college town. As that does have its perks, espically if your single it has its crime just like anybody else. And to be quite honest,,cops are dicks down there

Anyway, like Dan said, just depends on where you are looking in Peoria. I even lived on sheridan and forrest hill,,,it wasnt too bad,,wasnt the greatest, but i paid 400 for a house....up North is probably better,,or even better that all that is just move right outside of Peoria. I live in Germantown Hills,,,you can leave your car unlocked overnight over there,,,,,very nice,,and only 7 minuites to get to Peoria from my house,,and im in the woods alil bit!!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

First of all you need to get laid or something man. You come right out of nowhere and begin confrontation. Back off and go have a beer or something.
Wow.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

OK, I got laid before posting here. I hope that works out well for all of us. I know it helped me quite a bit.

I lived in Normal for 8 years. Worked in East Peoria for 3 years (while living in Normal). The commute was 45 min on a good day but that was working as far east in peoria as possible. WINTERS SUCK for commuting. I 74 is terrible during bad weather. A minimum of 450 miles a week to and from work at 22MPG and $3 gas is $60.00 per week just to live in "the nicer area".

Bloomington/Normal has it's issues as well. Most of the people there are very white collar. They are also wound WAY too tight and can't drive for ****.

Either place has good and bad parts.

Bones, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs. THEY SUCK. I would not move back for anything. Just to make a point, we all like different stuff.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

OK, I got laid before posting here. I hope that works out well for all of us. I know it helped me quite a bit.

Thats funny as hell
Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
I lived in Normal for 8 years. Worked in East Peoria for 3 years (while living in Normal). The commute was 45 min on a good day but that was working as far east in peoria as possible.
When our office moved from downtown Peoria to Brandywine across from Northwoods, it added 15 min to my commute. That was just basically a straight shot down 74. If he is by Grand Prairie, that's another 5-10 min on top of that at least.

Maybe he should look at places in Springfield or Galesburg while he's at it.

Quick Reply: Peoria IL area people inside!