Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Indy People....check-in and say hi!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sedanman
I disagree, build a car you can drive, that runs on pump gas, gets 20+ mpg when you are cruising the interstate all well busting some ***. LSX is the only option.

i agree, i dont want a car i cant drive everywhere if i want to. and you can make impressive whp numbers N/A
Old 01-26-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by s346k
i agree. god is punishing me by forcing me to store one in my garage. gay.

im sorry
Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree, build a car you can drive, that runs on pump gas, gets 20+ mpg when you are cruising the interstate all well busting some ***. LSX is the only option.
Depends on the person really.

Yeah my car gets like 8-10mpg but what do you expect from a big camed BBC with a race carb?????

Sometimes it cost me .75-$1.00 a mile to drive it but I don't care and gladly pay for the gas.

It does just fine on the highway and the RPM's are not much higher then my old LT1 car with 3.42's.

A few on here have seen it cruising around and James has even driven in it and can say for what it is it has great street manners and will soon not me as loud.

I COULD go fuel injection and change some things and get A LOT better MPG but thats not what I want or wanted.

I drive my car on nice summer days and thats about it but I enjoy that. Some enjoy daily driving theirs and thats fine also. I used to do that in my last car for a while and did not like it.

Same with the engines, I have nothing against the LSX/LTX crowd, I just love the big cam BBC sound threw open exhaust. Guess in the end I realized I am more old school.

Car runs pretty good all motor, just ask Jeff (indirocz28), we are pretty sure either the valves need adjusted or the car did not like the pump car that was in it and it still ran like a raped ape in second gear against his girls LS1 GTO in first gear. Think it was like 4 car lead instantly and cruised the rest of the night.

Down the road I would like to get a nice red 97 SS to play with a take on long road trips and stuff to match this one in the garage. This car is just a fun car for me .

Again, like I said, its all on what you want, my car does not have near stock street manners but the looks I get are worth it and its the car and motor I wanted. Anyone thats knows me well will tell you I could care less about MPG or street manners. Some people want all that and thats fine.

James, a few weeks ago I "attemped" to start the car for my Leslie, she about jumped threw the roof before it died.

Think the fuel pump on the motor side might be done. Hoping its just battery power. Light and all are bright and the motor turns over not to mention the volt gauge is showing plenty of juice but who knows.

Once it warms up or I get a heater over there I am going to get the charger on it and see if it will fire. That or swap the fuel pumps and see what happens.

Its sounding like its just not getting the power. Every time I throw the switch for the fuel pump it kicks on then dies off then gets worse every try so I am thinking voltage. Who knows, to much goig on to mess with it.

Just glad they are external pumps

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-27-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Yeah my car gets like 8-10mpg but what do you expect from a big camed BBC with a race carb?????

Sometimes it cost me .75-$1.00 a mile to drive it but I don't care and gladly pay for the gas.

Thats respectable, but its just not neccesary its 2008 not 1969.

I drive my car on nice summer days and thats about it but I enjoy that. Some enjoy daily driving theirs and thats fine also. I used to do that in my last car for a while and did not like it.
I agree I only drive the TA when I want too. However its the fact that I can drive it anywhere anytime, thats refreshing. Something bad *** about driving a car quite some distance, whip some *** and drive it home.

Same with the engines, I have nothing against the LSX/LTX crowd, I just love the big cam BBC sound threw open exhaust. Guess in the end I realized I am more old school.
Not much different then a LSX with a big cam thru open exhaust. Here my car in the spring with the cut outs open and it will change your mind. It might not be the same but its damn close with none of the hassles.

James, a few weeks ago I "attemped" to start the car for my Leslie, she about jumped threw the roof before it died.
Bummer, I started mine the other day, it was pretty wild push in the man pedal and turn the key. It settled into a nice choppy idle. I had to shut it off when the neibors came over cause they thought we had a nascar in the garage LOL.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

My issue is not having a choke

With gas yes it is expensive and I am sure I will run mostly race gas in it this year but remember, if I put less then 1,000 miles on it with gas thats like $5.75 a gallon its still cheaper then a few thousand miles plus on premium for a car thats driven more.

My dads Blazer gets much worse MPG then his Porsche but does not drive the Porsche much BUT works out of the house now so does not drive much regardless so in the end driving the Blazer he is not paying anymore for gas then he was daily driving the Porsche.

Granted if it was a Honda but he likes the Blazer.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-28-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Launching!

I think SBF is the way to go?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine started up first try the other day too... damn FI cars i even had a smoke and went inside and talked while it was warming up
Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slow5.0.
It seems you can put LSX heads on them...........
Old 01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, they seem to make pretty good boat anchors
Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah David it's all about preference. I use to be into the whole Carb. setup. But to be honest, I'm really getting into the whole computer controlled setup now. I like being able to fine tune the engine w/o having to pop the hood.
And as far as the Iroc, Hell how many years did I drive that car around?? Like 4 years maybe 5? And hell I loved that car. Now I got the Formula and the damn Iroc has sat in the garge for the past 2 years except for just trying to break in the new motor. Only to find out the NEW heads were junk outta the box. Then the car has sat since then. (last summer) Only drove about 10 times at the most. Maybe 200 miles on the engine.
But just goes to show you, It's all about preference. I never knew anything about Fuel Injection and computers. Now I do and I love em. And probably won't go back. But a BBC with a Big Cam would be a very nice setup for my Iroc as well, But since it's the girls car now I'll just put a NICE set of heads on it and be done with it for a while. At least till I get the Formula done.
Anyways

Good Luck with the car, It is an awesome car and I know it will be more than what you want when you get it finished.

James
Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by svtwhat?
yeah, they seem to make pretty good boat anchors
Ive seen them as chairs/coffee tables as well.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive seen them as chairs/coffee tables as well.
true.... very true
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
Yeah David it's all about preference. I use to be into the whole Carb. setup. But to be honest, I'm really getting into the whole computer controlled setup now. I like being able to fine tune the engine w/o having to pop the hood.
And as far as the Iroc, Hell how many years did I drive that car around?? Like 4 years maybe 5? And hell I loved that car. Now I got the Formula and the damn Iroc has sat in the garge for the past 2 years except for just trying to break in the new motor. Only to find out the NEW heads were junk outta the box. Then the car has sat since then. (last summer) Only drove about 10 times at the most. Maybe 200 miles on the engine.
But just goes to show you, It's all about preference. I never knew anything about Fuel Injection and computers. Now I do and I love em. And probably won't go back. But a BBC with a Big Cam would be a very nice setup for my Iroc as well, But since it's the girls car now I'll just put a NICE set of heads on it and be done with it for a while. At least till I get the Formula done.
Anyways

Good Luck with the car, It is an awesome car and I know it will be more than what you want when you get it finished.

James
I have nothing against bbc's but I dont regret one minute of doing the lsx swap in my iroc. more room, less weight, better mpg, and great power potential. Not opening the hoood and no screwdrivers to tune anything is kinda nice also
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

my only beef with the gen 1 & 2 chevrolet motors is the simple fact that they don't last as long. technology brought better oiling and much needed a/f ratio coverage that ultimately increases the life of the engine 2 fold. MANY lsx guys are running their race cars 4-5 seasons without changing bearings or performing any "necessary" maintenance. i know first hand, i was part of a group that raced a b stock auto 69 chevelle EVERY weekend and most days in between. that engine got new bearings EVERY year, sometimes twice. simply because running that car so hard all the time was wearing it out. it had the best of everything - managed to win the points meet 2 years in a row and placed the 3rd year. no way you could run that motor more than a season. car went 11.0 @ 121 like a clock. those who know nhra rules and apply them to a 346 cid car going 9.9 like a clock...well, it's obvious which engine is more efficient.

i love most all chevrolet engines and believe that the "big block" era is over. the introduction of 4" bore short stroke motors was the bullet to the head for the big blocks.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by svtwhat?
I have nothing against bbc's but I dont regret one minute of doing the lsx swap in my iroc. more room, less weight, better mpg, and great power potential. Not opening the hoood and no screwdrivers to tune anything is kinda nice also
To me I still have plenty of room under the hood, is it the same as a small block? No, but its not as bad as a BBC in a 4th gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I get the chance to build a tube car it will have an injected turbo BBC

Need to get some stuff chanced and work done on this car, have the cab re-done when that happens and also get billet metering blocks put in and all...

Found out the company I am getting my home owners insurance threw will unsure the Z to what I get it apraised for and not ask questions to what all is done but if I wreck it racing it then I am on my own.

I even told our insurance guys secretary/sales lady (does all the sales) that it was easier to name the things that are still stock and not the add on stuff and she said yep we can plate it as an antique and give you the same insurance to the value of the car, you just can't drive it more then 1,000 miles a year (not a problem for me). Whats also cool is I can keep a regular IN plate on the car and not get the antique plate!!!

My fiance has the same company and since she has been with them so long we will both get accident forgivness. As in if we get in a wreck our rates will not go up because of just one wreck.

Going threw them we would also get a break on our home owners insurance and our car insurance since we have both, GEICO would do neither for people in IN but said they are working on giving people one cut however I can't complain about GEICO auto insurance.

After the wedding they are going to give me a quote .

Should get a nice break since I will be married and then another one when I turn 25 in August.

my only beef with the gen 1 & 2 chevrolet motors is the simple fact that they don't last as long. technology brought better oiling and much needed a/f ratio coverage that ultimately increases the life of the engine 2 fold. MANY lsx guys are running their race cars 4-5 seasons without changing bearings or performing any "necessary" maintenance. i know first hand, i was part of a group that raced a b stock auto 69 chevelle EVERY weekend and most days in between. that engine got new bearings EVERY year, sometimes twice. simply because running that car so hard all the time was wearing it out. it had the best of everything - managed to win the points meet 2 years in a row and placed the 3rd year. no way you could run that motor more than a season. car went 11.0 @ 121 like a clock. those who know nhra rules and apply them to a 346 cid car going 9.9 like a clock...well, it's obvious which engine is more efficient.

i love most all chevrolet engines and believe that the "big block" era is over. the introduction of 4" bore short stroke motors was the bullet to the head for the big blocks.

Well every engine is different, my engine was built back in the 80's and I was the first to pull a valve cover and that was just to check the casting numbers. Engine is still tight and so is the carb. Only has 26k miles but most of those are hard miles or traffic miles or track miles on two stages.

Granted the engine was also built by a former Pro-Stock builder.

Agreed that the big bore LSX engines did hurt the BBC crowed, the tall deck gets you like 502 CUI or something.

You still have the cost issue though, you can pick up a nice BBC in good shape out of a junk yard fairly cheap and build it fairly cheep to handle a lot. I honestly think you could build a reliable 800hp BBC cheaper then a reliable 800hp LSX motor. Its all about preference. My car is fully loaded and will stay that way so I am not to worried about weight, was with my last car though.

I know the stock cranks will handle quite a bit.

My car has out of the box c port heads on it and on a small shot it was running 10.3@136 spinning the tires and has been sprayed another 100hp but just spun (fixed the spinnin issue last summer).

From what I can tell so far the only fancy thing on the engine is the ported BG carb.

Car also ran more than a few bracket seasons at ORP from what I am told, again on the same engine, my car still has a facroty belt driven water pump with a fan on it hahahaha.

I agree with you, just saying every engine is different.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-29-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

hp is hp no matter how you look at it. your personal goals for the car dictate how you generate it. i am a fan of doing MORE with LESS. hopefully i will be given the opportunity to express this feeling later in the year with a 4.006x3.62 pump gas motor using an intake and heads available at gmpartsdirect.

nonetheless - i want to see your car run, juiced96z, i heard it at the suds and from what you've been saying, it will easily put a hurtin on most anything around these parts - i'm just glad it's a chevrolet product. dave's stang ran good, but will it be around?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

i am a fan of doing MORE with LESS.

You sure you don't drive a Honda

The previous owner has some mufflers for the car I am about to buy to quiet it down for street use. Ill keep what I have now for the track.

When people at the suds say they hear you on main street a good half mile away or more you know you are to loud or when your sister says she was in her garage and heard it two miles away (she lies in the country) or when James says he heard it about 3 miles away.

Every time but the last time listed I was putting around.

My car needs some updates before it can run at the track, needs the suspension dialed in good for the bottle, wheel studs, DS loop, don't see an SFI sticker on the flexplate, want to ditch the belt driver water pump, need to call NGK or autolite and find out for sure what all motor plugs I need and N20 plugs I need, would like to flush the tranny fluid, rebuild the noids (saftey issue). Oh and CAGE!!!!!!!!!!
The MSD box in the car is PRE 6A!!!!

Car should run high 10's all motor with some updates no internals. Then see what it does hooking on a 275.

After that Ill get the heads and intake ported.

Thanks for the compliment, there are still quite a few big dogs that I will not be able to touch for a while though.... one of them has an all alumium 5XX BBC that if I remember right ran mid 9's on the motor and I think is getted to like a 275 shot and most have more money in the engine then I do in my entire car.

A lot of really fast cars around here, just don't see them much....

BBC's are harder on valvetrains also.

I got on it hard a few times in front of the tire place but indirocz28 is the only one that has seen me on it all the way (in second gear no bottle), James was in it once and has video but it was draging the brakes.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-29-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Something bad *** about driving a car quite some distance, whip some *** and drive it home.
i experienced this a little bit with my pewter car. i drove it to evansville to visit family - ended up going to chandler 1/8 mile just for fun. NO ONE down there had any idea what was going on. all they had to compare my car to was a 99 ws6 6 spd twin turbo car going 8.1s haha. i drove over 100 miles on my et street DRs with the a/c on, went to the track and ran 7.7s, then drove home. my bro-in-law had a bunch of buddies at the track that day, blown 2v cars, a couple 04 cobras, etc. they're like 10 years behind at chandler, they were completely blown away that a stock longblock car setup like mine ran that well. it was a good feeling even though i wasn't the fastest thing around. that car would've moved on a 150 hit.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Yeah I drove the Cobra to florida raced it at several different tracks and on the street then drove it home averaging 21 mpg on the interstate.

JUICED96Z I am looking forward to some pulls come spring, I am sure you will get me but it should be fun to see how close a 346 cu in motor with stock shortblock and heads can come.

Last edited by sedanman; 01-30-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Jeffs not scared of anything!

Quick Reply: Indy People....check-in and say hi!