Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thedarkness
don't get me wrong, the 2jz is an amazing motor, but its so overplayed in the import world as being the motor of all motors. i'd go w/ one of the skyline motor for a few reasons.

1) i've never seen a 2jz-gte w/ the 6speed for under 6K from a reputable source

2) the sr20 motors, which are considered nissan of japan's entry level motor have hit 600 horse+ on the stock block and its a 4 cylinder

3) novelty factor which could be said for the 2jz as well, but someone already has one in a fox body, they put them in s2000's, they put that little monster into just about everything so its only a matter of time before it hits the f-bodies too

4) the rb26 is just at potent if not more so than the 2jz and also has a little brother the rb25 that could be picked up cheaper
Yeah, but can it take 35#'s of boost consistantly on pump gas and hold 1000 RWHP still on the factory stock block? The 2JZ can, and thats why I would pick it over teh rb25 (even if it costs more).

Originally Posted by SS1875
Actually I don't have a problem doing it.....I was mowing the neighbor's yard...I did it on an empty stomach which wasn't a good combo with the heat. It made me ill.
Sorry you got sick man
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS1875
Actually I don't have a problem doing it.....I was mowing the neighbor's yard...I did it on an empty stomach which wasn't a good combo with the heat. It made me ill.
I don't mind mowing cuz I mow at least 4 yards a week and occasional 5 or 6 yards a week. You can't beat mowing and get paid so much $$. The 3 yards a week that I mow besides our house I get paid $80 and one takes me 45 min. and get paid $20 another takes me 40 min. and get paid $30 and the other one I get paid $30 and it takes me 1 hr. You can't beat it since its tax free and easy money. I've been mowing 4 or 5 yards a year for the past 6 years and make about $3,000/yr. or more. I actually mowed 3 yards today and played 18 holes of golf, and the 4 yards I mow a week only take me about 3 hrs. and 15 min.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2JZ is not going to fit under the hood of an F-Body without some major work in both the cowl and a large cowl that starts way up the hood. The 2JZ is a TALL motor. You'd have to custom fabricate a crossmember, and probably move the rack and alter the tie rod mounts to correct bumpsteer.

To elaborate:

The 2JZ is a long, tall motor, and the F-Body engine bay is exceedingly cramped. With the way the cowl intrudes into the bay, the engine is going to have to sit well forward vs. the LS1, so your only option is to bring it forward, which is going to cause it to argue with the aggressive slope of the F-Body hood as well as the steering rack.

You'll have to move the rack down (you can't go very far forward without causing issues with leverage and binding), and moving the rack down means you need to lower the connection points at the knuckle/tie rod joint, by lowering it the same amount (to correct for bumpsteer).

I'm also not sure, but I believe the 2JZ is a front sump stock, so you'll need a rear sump pan (I believe the 1JZ has one and fits the 2JZ).

Don't get me wrong, I think a 2JZ F-Body would be sweet, but there are some major constraints to get past to make it fit, that aren't present in a Fox body. It can be done, but that's a hell of a project. I can do the electronics work for you if you decide to do it.

The exhaust would probably be okay, but the intake would also likely need to be custom. Not sure on that though, I'd have to see some measurements on that.

signed,

-your friendly neighborhood engine swapper

Last edited by digitalsolo; 08-06-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank god for blake-ipedia lol... But damn, that's a bit more than i was thinking, I figured the turbo mani and intake mani would be a tight fit, didn't even think about the steering rack... Fack
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Beast
That'd be awesome. I'm guessin it'll be a year or so before i'd have money to do much with the motor or turbo though... What do you think is the best tuning software/ ecu
Stock GM ecu with speartech harness and EFI LIVE software.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPH
Stock GM ecu with speartech harness and EFI LIVE software.
With a 2JZ?

I had given thought about the steering rack but I am nothing compared to Blak-ipedia so I kept my mouth shut. if people are shoving the 2JZ into RX-7's, S2K's and whatever else, I don't see why Nick can't be the first.

However, there are MAJOR hurdles to becoming the first (only a few Blake pointed out and the rest you would run into when you build it) and I guarantee you...it will nickel and dime you to death. Build yourself an approximate cost of building one......then once you get it set up the way you want it. Multiply it by 1.5 at least.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but that's the truth. I wish someone had told me to multiply my costs.

Nick, it can be done. But there will be major hurdles and obstacles to overcome. However, with the great invention that we are currently using (teh int@rwebz) you would be backed by people on this forum, supraforums and many other automotive forums to help you overcome them.

Just think of the internet forums as the Planeteers...with our powers combineddd!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CALL911

Be really original if your going to do it though. Put it in an F-body. I have never heard of anyone doing that, and it would be a real killer.

F-body are kinda heavy and damn do they have a super cramped engine bay. Need something lightweight with a ton of room, like an old 4 eye fox. 4 eyes are getting pretty rare now anyhow. The suspension from 79-04 are interchangeable. i saw a cobra IRS bolt in, on an 85 here a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by Slowr w/o Blowr; 08-07-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
stock cube, bolt ons, small cam, GTO probably Yellow maybe some HID's.... I heard they were quick ask Chris he might know.....LOL Just teasing Chris he was all mad sat. night....
Very quick, that 5th gear is a killer. Besides I have his beloved TBSS to drive everyday lol.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowr w/o Blowr
F-body are kinda heavy and damn do they have a super cramped engine bay. Need something lightweight with a ton of room, like an old 4 eye fox. 4 eyes are getting pretty rare now anyhow. The suspension from 79-04 are interchangeable. i saw a cobra IRS bolt in, on an 85 here a couple of weeks ago.
The 2JZ easily makes insane RWHP without doing anything crazy to the engine (700+ RWHP, and can do 1,000 RWHP on the stock block). I don't think the weight of the F-body is going to slow it down at that power level. Not to mention Supra's weigh almost the exact same as a 4th gen F-body (around 3500 lbs).

Nick, anytime you do something custom like this that no one has done before, its definatly going to require a bit of fabrication and extra funds. I am hoping this doesn't scare you away though, as I really think it would be awesome. The only thing I wouldn't like about it is the fact I will be jealous every time I see you drive it and hear the 2JZ spool up and hear the exhaust all coming from a 4th gen.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Did you tell them you have the rear tube support welded accoss the whole back of the rear end.... good luck
DAMN IT I forgot I have that! Well does anyone know if the BMR brackets will work? I've tried calling them but never get through to anyone
Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krobinson123
DAMN IT I forgot I have that! Well does anyone know if the BMR brackets will work? I've tried calling them but never get through to anyone
Have you tried moser?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Not yet, I'm half tempted to just notch the back brace in those spots. But then again I don't know if I really want to do that to my pretty 9"
Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by krobinson123
Not yet, I'm half tempted to just notch the back brace in those spots. But then again I don't know if I really want to do that to my pretty 9"
I'd make some calls be4 doing that!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody want any professional products fuel rails?

I've got a set, they have the fittings and braided crossover but need a -4 AN cap (or fuel pressure gauge), and a hose from the back of the rail to the factory quick connect fitting (I do have that part). I think they're like 125 new... 65 bucks?

Just figured I'd see if any of guys wanted them before I put them up in the classifieds.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Anybody want any professional products fuel rails?

I've got a set, they have the fittings and braided crossover but need a -4 AN cap (or fuel pressure gauge), and a hose from the back of the rail to the factory quick connect fitting (I do have that part). I think they're like 125 new... 65 bucks?

Just figured I'd see if any of guys wanted them before I put them up in the classifieds.
PM sent.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Blake-ipedia would it be easier for the 2jz to fit into the f-body if he c-knotched the crossmember? I know I've heard of guys droppin turbo diesels into old muscle like chevelles and novas by doing this on account of the tallness of those motors. I wonder if that would be an option to help solve getting the 2jz under the hood?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thedarkness
Blake-ipedia would it be easier for the 2jz to fit into the f-body if he c-knotched the crossmember? I know I've heard of guys droppin turbo diesels into old muscle like chevelles and novas by doing this on account of the tallness of those motors. I wonder if that would be an option to help solve getting the 2jz under the hood?
The easiest solution is not to put some ******* jap-crap karate car motor in a F-body! Why would you want to spend MORE money to go slower? A cheap forged 346 for $3K, ported L92heads/intake/fuel rails/TB for $1700-$1800, and either nitrous or a turbo kit....a 346 L92 motor with moderat boost would get 650-700 rwhp with pump gas...stroke it to 416 cubes for a little more and get gobs more torque. I like the supras because they are silly strong and good from rolls, but they are peaky little rice motors, watch a 510-522 stroker Viper TT race a supra V6 TT that both have 1150 rwhp (viper on pump gas btw, 1500+ on race gas)...its not even close!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Zach,

Notching the crossmember was assumed in my other post. The problem is that the motor is long enough that it's going to interfere with what's mounted to said crossmember, namely the steering rack. A notch in the crossmember is actually pretty damned easy to deal with, it's steering adjustments that get ugly (I'm hyper sensitive about steering/brakes as both are drastically more important than power to me, and keeping angles and such in check is VERY important to safety on a steet car). Also of note is that the front swaybar may be a problem too, I've not looked at their location on an F-Body. That's not a big deal though, lots of guys remove them anyway.

I'm also not sure what's involved with making Toyota A/C work, if that was wanted, though brackets could be fabricated to run a GM compressor with custom lines.

Scott,

PM replied. Oh, and do you still have a bottle heater?

SDB,

I agree. 2JZ is the hard way to get there for sure. If you want something a little "different" a 4.6L Cobra motor in a Fox Body would haul *** and isn't seen everyday (though there are several built) There are even off the shelf mounts to get you most of the way there. A whipplecharged LSx in an F-Body would be different too and a total street monster, plus no bottle to refill. Positive displacement blowers are a blast to drive.

Last edited by digitalsolo; 08-07-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SDB
The easiest solution is not to put some ******* jap-crap karate car motor in a F-body! Why would you want to spend MORE money to go slower? A cheap forged 346 for $3K, ported L92heads/intake/fuel rails/TB for $1700-$1800, and either nitrous or a turbo kit....a 346 L92 motor with moderat boost would get 650-700 rwhp with pump gas...stroke it to 416 cubes for a little more and get gobs more torque. I like the supras because they are silly strong and good from rolls, but they are peaky little rice motors, watch a 510-522 stroker Viper TT race a supra V6 TT that both have 1150 rwhp (viper on pump gas btw, 1500+ on race gas)...its not even close!
While I agree with you...

I didn't think you could put L92 heads on a 346 because of the bore???
Old 08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SDB
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!