Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Purdue guys....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U.S 41 has a "street car chaos" event going on friday....
Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackFormula01
Nate,

Let me know what you end up doing. If I have nothing going on Friday/Saturday night, I'd like to tag along to a track. I wont be running. I was having some issues with my brakes and had a high-beam out, so my car is also at home.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I would love to come just watch that thing, or if you wanna cruise around in a sweet 4.0L '04 Ranger, just let me know. hahaha

Ed

Oh yeah, Lower90. Come out and play with us. I don't think we could deny a truck that could take *almost* any of us to school.

cool, i will be out for sure next spring with it....not to sure how well it will hook up....should be really good for burnouts though...you guys should stop up at BK on saturday nights.....
Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Haha, nhendrick I would have loved to bring the IROC back up, it has been my baby for the past 5 years, but reliability was what made me get the 98 bird back this past year at Spring Break.

The 305 in it has 140k miles and has some moisture problems noticeable under the valve covers, probably could use a rebuild and it would purr. With an almost new Rochester Quadrajet it runs decently well, however my dad was driving it on and off a month ago to work and the car just would die on him and not restart. Its intermittent and a loose or corroded ground somewhere is what we are suspecting. With school though I haven't had the time to check it, we all know how that is, and I wouldn't trust it for returning it to my current ride at this time. For a 87 it has a sharp looking exterior with no rust, and the exhaust I put on a year ago sounds sweet but now I have also been told that the pipe back from the Y also split. With a set of Bridgestone Potenza's I put on it last winter, its the only car I would completely trust in rain and snow/ice. It is an awesome car but it really shouldn't be someones DD as it has been for me, at least as the car is now. It has plenty of potential but limitations on time and money are what they are.

I haven't been very actively trying to sell it too hard yet as I have had a checklist of things on the car I have been fixing up. However I am hoping to get 3500-4000 out of it, knowing I have spent probably double that to keep it running and the condition it is in.

The bird if it is a head gasket, should be just replacing the gasket at the stage I have caught it at. There was no difference in heat or performance so I think the engine itself should be fine. However I am dreading that it looks like I will have to pull the engine in this gen. in order to do that serious of a tear down because of that lip that the engine is tucked under in 4th gens. Anyone have much experience or comments on this?
I mean I have the lift and everything I would need, just we all know how fun an engine pull is if it isn't necessary.

Depending on what gets done over break I will either get the camaro running a little more reliably, get the bird fixed depending on what is found and its cost, or drive a 87 beater supra up I have, if i get the head gasket and arp studs I have for it installed. Pretty much for me to have a ride after break I will be putting in some serious wrench time over break. XD

That all aside I would be down for goin' and watching at the strip, if anyone had a spare seat to get there I could help with gas.

-Chris
Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Lower 90Xcab,
That sounds like it'll be a fun truck. An excellent sleeper if you could keep the car quiet!!!

Chris.... Sounds like a great car for another lsx swap. If you could find a donor engine and tranny, you'd probably have another 1500 in misc parts. My bird is nice, but those IROC's have such a great factory look.

Nate
Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Teching In

haha yea, ever since I got the IROC an ls1 swap was what I wanted to do, but with school and everything money doesn't flow as much as I would like. Then I looked for something newer and more reliable and fell in love with the 4th gen firebird inside and out. I got a regular bird for the insurance, the gas mileage. It will be a while until I start building it up. I got the bird with making it a sleeper in mind. Sometime down the road I would love to do an lsx or so drop in it. As it is still more a dd than anything practicality takes first in most cases for now.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Let me talk with my girlfriend to see if we have plans. If not, I have an extra adult seat and 3 kiddie seats in that Ranger.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha ed, sometimes i wish i still had my ranger, that damn deer took it out of its misery at 240,000 miles on the tach. Anyways, anyone feel like helping me put in msds sometime this weekend possibly? im trying to sell the trans am but need to install the wires and possibly plugs if they are fouled. car has been running like crap with no pickup and still a fireworks show under the hood.

Last edited by LT1Formula26; 09-30-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah...

It's for sale, Eric. Interested? It has about 210k less miles than your old one. I'll get a hold of you this weekend if I am free. If nothing else, I'm an extra set of hands. It'd probably be Sunday though with the Penn State game.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool, anyone else wanna help in case Ed is busy? Ed, there is no way I could afford that ranger ha. I mean, I don't even have the money until this trans am sells. I have it on ebay right now for 3800 and I have 8 watchers, so hopefully something turns out. I will probably need ur help though, but somehow I lost my wrench for my car lift. I need to invest in a 2 ton or something. But then again...no money lol. I hate the fact that I am selling this thing, but gotta fix it up right now and get it running good. That damn exhaust leak at the manifold came back again! ughh! I think I will need to add some copper seal on it again. Anyways, anyone, let me know if u can help with the plugs and possibly resealing the headers.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a pair of fel pro header gaskets...best there is and i believe you can pick them up at either advance or autozone...btw do you have headers or manifolds? depending on what is going on i might be able to help on sunday but if you have manifolds i am NOT looking forward to messing w/ plugs n wires
Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have the felpro gaskets on it and i had headers.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm that's weird...when you put the headers on w/ the gasket did you tighten the bolts from the middle out? because thats really how you are supposed to do it to get the most benefit from the gaskets
Old 09-30-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

i didn't put the headers on and when the gasket was resealed, i don't know what order they tightened it in.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm that is why i all the work i can myself...so I'm assuming your not running over the valve cover since you have a set of msd wires? and are these precut or cut to fit? doesnt really matter as cutting to fit isnt hard at all just takes more time. and if i do decide to do plugs i sure hope you have an slp plug socket...it makes it 1000x easier to do
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol no i don't have a socket, and they don't go over the valve covers and the are precut. i hope this makes my car stop running like **** and stop smelling like gas. i hope there isn't a deeper problem. it is like i don't have pickup and the car sounds like it is trying so hard and the car vibrates sporadically at idle.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Launching!

hey guys ill be down there this friday with my blown ws6 on business. anyone want to meet up?
let me know.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Teching In

AZ N SPEED.... Great looking car! We just might take you up on the offer. Where will you be coming in from?
What kind of numbers you expect to be puttin up?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Teching In

header gasket best i have found are mr gasket ultra seals.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aznspeed
hey guys ill be down there this friday with my blown ws6 on business. anyone want to meet up?
let me know.
ahh I remember you from Purdue Automotive Performance Association. You posted up about your car last spring. I will be around campus all day. I get done with classes around 130 and then I'll be done at the gym around 3 but plan on starting to party around 8ish so if you plan on getting here before then I'm down for meeting up w/ whoever

Originally Posted by turnandburn
header gasket best i have found are mr gasket ultra seals.
I've heard mixed about mr gasket...the only two i have heard lots of great stuff about is percy's dead soft gasket and fel pro
Old 10-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
ahh I remember you from Purdue Automotive Performance Association. You posted up about your car last spring. I will be around campus all day. I get done with classes around 130 and then I'll be done at the gym around 3 but plan on starting to party around 8ish so if you plan on getting here before then I'm down for meeting up w/ whoever

I've heard mixed about mr gasket...the only two i have heard lots of great stuff about is percy's dead soft gasket and fel pro
if it rains the night before, I wont be driving that down and will have to settle for my cts so pray it doesnt rain!

Quick Reply: Purdue guys....