Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Purdue guys....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you guys had a good cruise, I was thinking of tagging along but go an opportunity to go to the game at ND. Definitely need to meet some of you.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nate, are you still going to the track on friday?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Cody, were you in the Grant St. Parking Garage last night? Nate, are you still going to the track?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I was, I had a astronomy lab last night. I saw chris around that area too.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Fellas,
Not sure on the track yet. I'll post back tomm afternoon. My wife might have to work in that case I'd need to watch our son.
IF NOT.... I'm going.
I could fit 1 more for sure, possibly a couple, just might be a little tight.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

I'm going.
Probably head out of town around 4:30.
Racing starts at 6.
I don't know how late I'll stay. Probably just a couple hours depending on how many runs I get in, and how the car is responding.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Great news, the bird was in the shop today for a full check on the engine and it is good to go.

What happened was, and this may be something we could all use to know for future reference, the standard DEXCOOL coolant for our cars has a very small amount of a oil in it. With age and heat the chemical compound breaks down and the oil separates somewhat from the other components. This can give a similar appearance in the coolant to as if there was a blown head gasket.

I'll be bringing it back after break. Soon enough it will be new brakes, wheels, and tires.

I am still game for goin' to the track tomorrow. If anyone could give me a lift (Nate, Ed, whoever) it would be appreciated. Time for leaving is no issue for me, and I live at Cary. If this works for any one, PM me with what time and I'll give you my cell. Thank you in advance.

-Chris
Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Let me check with Danielle, I know she has a lot do to this weekend. I'll post up here sometime tomorrow if we are going. I don't know how long I'll be able to stay, but it'd be fun to watch Nate get a few runs in. Chris, if we go, I'll give you a ride...but I don't get out of class until 430. PS. You'll be in the back of and EXT Ranger....its allllmost as bad as the backseat of a bird...but sideways! Thanks for the coolant update too! Thats useful!

Ed
Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Teching In

The more I think about it, carpooling is probably a better option. If I break something it'll be a LONG night.........
Carpool will be a safe bet of a ride home... LOL
HOPE TO SEE YOU GUYS TONIGHT. bring the camera if you come. I'll bring mine if someone wants to record.
Nate
765-714-7817
call me anytime.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Chris, Nate:

Sorry guys, but I think I am out for tonight. Hope you both have fun!

Ed
Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kent21
Great news, the bird was in the shop today for a full check on the engine and it is good to go.

What happened was, and this may be something we could all use to know for future reference, the standard DEXCOOL coolant for our cars has a very small amount of a oil in it. With age and heat the chemical compound breaks down and the oil separates somewhat from the other components. This can give a similar appearance in the coolant to as if there was a blown head gasket.

-Chris
People still use DEXCOOL? I highly suggest against it....Over time it actual gunks up into like a gel...there has been so many people with problems with DEXCOOL. Actually there is a class action lawsuit against them I believe from GM. Anyways anyone that has that in their coolant system needs to flush it out PRONTO
Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am out for tinight too, I won't be able to make it in time. Post you times up. I am curious to see what you run.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Turns out the roommate is headed back to Indy so I think I am gonna take advantage of it and get a ride back with him, get some work done on the cars, and drive the bird back up Sunday. Changes in plans this coming week and a need for a set of wheels have made that into a priority.

Hopefully next time will work out better for all of us.

Nate, I hope tonight goes well. I am anxious to hear a recap of it later. I also hope next time I can be there to see it in person.

-Chris
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do any of you guys have you spare tire (doughnut) still in your cars? I need three doughnuts so I can put them on my car for storing it this winter. If any of you don't plan on driving your car over winter I could use your doughnut until it gets warm out.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cvaught
Do any of you guys have you spare tire (doughnut) still in your cars? I need three doughnuts so I can put them on my car for storing it this winter. If any of you don't plan on driving your car over winter I could use your doughnut until it gets warm out.
whats wrong with setting it on your regular wheel? and if you're that **** about caring for it while its stored for a season you might as well just put it up on stands
Old 10-04-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am taking the wheels/tires off to sell them and not going to purchase another set until next summer. The place that I am storing it at says it has to be on wheel/tires, no jackstands.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Default The good the bad, and ugly

Fellas,
Great night at the track. After about 7 or 8 trips down the track I finally realized that I really needed to heat the **** out of the tires to grab. Once I did that the car started putting down some good numbers. I went from low 12's @ 2.2 60's to a couple of 1.80-1.87 60''s and instantly ran 11.80's. With that said I tried a few different RPM launches to figure out what worked best.
The things that sucks..... I lost clutch pressure... and was done racing for the night... I ended up going to the parking lot, starting the car in 4th, and drove it home. I'll keep you guys updated on the problem... Very odd problem, that has me puzzled. No fluid leaking ANYWHERE, res. still full, just no pressure. Now. the thing that sucks is I was just starting to really feel what the car could do. My last run when I noticed no pressure was at the top end of 3rd when I tried to shift to 4th. So I instantly let out. numbers on that run were 1.67 60ft 7.34 1/8th at 94.5 and coasted across the line at 97 at 11.9................ This is the thing that sucks!!! That run was on beat for a sub 11.5 run..... VERY FRUSTRATING. In all the night went pretty well. I learned a TON about driving the car, launching, shifting etc.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, sounds like you had a good night. You made a couple fast runs. What clutch are you running in your car?
Old 10-04-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cvaught
I am taking the wheels/tires off to sell them and not going to purchase another set until next summer. The place that I am storing it at says it has to be on wheel/tires, no jackstands.
oh that sucks...you could always buy a set of salad shooters for like 50-75 bucks and just sit them on that

and those are some pretty good times nate...sounds like your hydraulic system took a **** on ya..
Old 10-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Yep, I think your right... I dropped it off at a good friends shop and he's gonna take a gander this week. Probably the slave cylinder.... I anticipate it'll be runnning by next weekend.
I was real happy with the times. It just took a few tries to figure out how to drive the car to have a shot at decent times.
You guys wanna get something together in 2 weeks?
Nate

Quick Reply: Purdue guys....