Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Difference between Marines and Army

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Marines and Army

So last weekend I was drilling at Ft. Devens MA and right next to where we were staying is a USMC reserve center and they were also drilling that weekend. It was night and I was walking through the parking lot back to my place and I saw a young Marine (E3 or E4) standing on the sidewalk and he started to ask me a question about if I saw another Marine walking through the parking lot. As I approached and he could see my shirt he took notice of my rank and immediatley locked himself up and stayed like that until our converstaion was finished and he addressed me properly after every sentence.

I was uttlerly amazed because even in the Army now the younger soldiers tend to not feel like they have to stand at attention for officers or at parade rest for NCO's and they do not always address as sir or sergeant. When I was a private would never dare not stand at attention or parade rest when speaking to my superiors or not address them properly. Today it is different which is strange because its not like Ive been in 20 years or something. I also had a fresh out of basic private stand right next to me that weekend with his hands in his pockets and I had to correct him, you would think since he just got done basic he would know better especially when a superior is right next to him. I dont know what the hell they are teaching them in basic today

Anyway it was nice to see that there still is some discipline out there.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Launching!

go to ft. hood... dog and pony show for sure... this is army by the way... we wouldn't take kindly to lower ranking that would act up or think they didn't have to follow the pecking order... but yes i agree it seems it's heading downhill big time, now i'm in the air force reserve and i get told not to be so **** about rank... "you don't gotta call me sgt.. my name is so and so" i get the reserves are more relaxed but damn no need to be that relaxed when talking to e7-e-8
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should see the AFNG or Reserves. A1C's address MSgt's by their first name out my way.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
So last weekend I was drilling at Ft. Devens MA and right next to where we were staying is a USMC reserve center and they were also drilling that weekend. It was night and I was walking through the parking lot back to my place and I saw a young Marine (E3 or E4) standing on the sidewalk and he started to ask me a question about if I saw another Marine walking through the parking lot. As I approached and he could see my shirt he took notice of my rank and immediatley locked himself up and stayed like that until our converstaion was finished and he addressed me properly after every sentence.

I was uttlerly amazed because even in the Army now the younger soldiers tend to not feel like they have to stand at attention for officers or at parade rest for NCO's and they do not always address as sir or sergeant. When I was a private would never dare not stand at attention or parade rest when speaking to my superiors or not address them properly. Today it is different which is strange because its not like Ive been in 20 years or something. I also had a fresh out of basic private stand right next to me that weekend with his hands in his pockets and I had to correct him, you would think since he just got done basic he would know better especially when a superior is right next to him. I dont know what the hell they are teaching them in basic today

some still keep the tradition, which should be and is taught to be standard ,but I have noticed alot don't especially if you are only wearing a rank or two above them. There are some Boots I have seen in my unit not address another marine properly, which to me is something easy to do and shouldn't require thought.
It's not like you have to stand there and begin and end every response with a rank or sir/mam(unless your getting an *** chewing) but proper greeting and respect go a long way. It's also a line of communication, letting someone know you heard and understood what they were saying.

I may be a bad example by not making marines stand at parade rest when speaking to me but situation dictates, and it's not always the most convienent.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Launching!

these days in the marines, if some people get really **** about the rank, newer junior marines are raising the "hazing" flag. everything is about hazing, and they are getting away with a lot more belligerence.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Everyone cries that the next generation is getting worse. It is an age old complaint and not going to change. I dont really see the new soldiers today being all that bad as far as proper respect being given and maintaining military bearing. Times have changed and the army has developed different ways of traing our soldiers. It works doesnt it? Our guys and gals in the service are just as good as any other era.
I think the ongoing war has alot to play with the way soldiers act now. Seems things have taken a more "team" like approach. The fear of not talking to someone a certain way is not there when you are fighting to save each others life. I am sure you can see were I am going with this.

On a side note, yes I do see the marines as being the best when it comes to military bearing and respect of rank. Not that others are bad, just the marines do it better. This all has to do with the way they are trained and the importance placed on it when the soliers are being trained.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NebWS6
It's not like you have to stand there and begin and end every response with a rank or sir/mam(unless your getting an *** chewing) but proper greeting and respect go a long way.
and this is a perfect example. now i can understand being in country, where survivability and complacency are main concerns, but back in garrison is another issue. more civilians see you and so does the rest of the world. out here haircuts, shaves, all that stuff isn't looked at too much (here lately it has been changing, and i think iraq will turn garrison eventually with the way things are going). back in the states there's a reason to be "locked on". it just flat out makes you look better, army, af, navy or marines.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
and this is a perfect example. now i can understand being in country, where survivability and complacency are main concerns, but back in garrison is another issue. more civilians see you and so does the rest of the world. out here haircuts, shaves, all that stuff isn't looked at too much (here lately it has been changing, and i think iraq will turn garrison eventually with the way things are going). back in the states there's a reason to be "locked on". it just flat out makes you look better, army, af, navy or marines.
I guess I was speaking about being in the rear but, just giving a gtg corporal/sergeant or sir goes a long way rather than just an "alright" or "ok"
(which I heard come out of a couple marines mouths as a response)
The few Bases I have been in Iraq were truely garrison, the disease has already spread. It does make you look better and gives a hint to the others around you.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NebWS6
I guess I was speaking about being in the rear but, just giving a gtg corporal/sergeant or sir goes a long way rather than just an "alright" or "ok"
(which I heard come out of a couple marines mouths as a response)
The few Bases I have been in Iraq were truely garrison, the disease has already spread. It does make you look better and gives a hint to the others around you.
just look at any air base, more garrison than the actual u.s.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
Everyone cries that the next generation is getting worse. It is an age old complaint and not going to change. I dont really see the new soldiers today being all that bad as far as proper respect being given and maintaining military bearing. Times have changed and the army has developed different ways of traing our soldiers. It works doesnt it?

Yes it is age old but it is true. I am not big on the standing at attention/parade rest thing for the most part but if I you dont know me at all and you are talking to me like im your friend when in fact I outrank you I have a problem with that. At least show military courtesy at first, its a first impression thing to me.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am probably a dinosaur to some of you guys but I think the Army was harder, more fun and better disciplined when I came in than it is now. Granted we were heathens off work but we were held to a far higher standard at work. Soldiers today are indeed held to a higher standard off of work but it is a lot more relaxed at work than it used to be. Just an observation from the "old" guy.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are just scared about getting our asses chewed, automatically if I see anyone higher then E-3 and below, I do a quick once over on my uniform and make sure Im squared away, so they have nothing to give me **** about. Especially if it's an Officer. I've only been in 2 years and still give the proper greeting to all that out rank me (and that's almost everyone) and try to give the respect I know they deserve..
just my .02
Old 10-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Same thing in the Air Force. If a Chief or Ofiicer walks in we stand up, if its a commander then we call the room to attention, seems like every year that goes by, less and less people are doing this. When i brief people on this they act like im bothering them. 50 percent of Airman these days adress me Sarge, Sergeant, or Sir, the other 50 percent just pretend ike im their buddy. I dont know, guess it depends on where they were stationed or where they worked. Here at Little Rock, one AMU is squared away, the other one is "running wild". Ill never understand it.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Back when I was an E-4 at Al Asad, I had the respect of the Marines because I knew their entire rank structure and I addressed them as such. After that....I was literally the only untouchable Air Force guy on that base
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Back when I was an E-4 at Al Asad, I had the respect of the Marines because I knew their entire rank structure and I addressed them as such. After that....I was literally the only untouchable Air Force guy on that base
Ha nice. Yea I tried to learn the AF structure but after I came out to Japan and there arent any airmen on this base, I don't think I remember any of it..lol
Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is always a good idea for every servicemember to learn other services ranks. Its funny to see army members salute enlisted navy members, it happens.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting post. It's good to hear that Marines of today are still paying respect at the proper time and place. Being a prior Marine Corps Drill Instructor, it makes me feel as though the time I spent at Parris Island was time well spent.

Thanks for posting this up. It made my day.

Marc
Old 10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Launching!

It is always a good idea for every servicemember to learn other services ranks. Its funny to see army members salute enlisted navy members, it happens.

lol....yep, when the navy happens to drill the same weekend as us, you'll get some noobs who head outside to the parking lot and throw up a salute to a chief or master chief on the way there....haha
Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

when I first graduated tacp school I got saluted by a staff sergeant because of the shiny flash on my beret.

Probably thought I was a cop officer
Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Dude when i 1st came in over 3 years ago i was pushing for PFCs as a PV2 and locking up for them as well. I was the guy who they loved to **** with due to i was the only new guy they had for a while.... So i learned disapline real quick... When i came to a new unit after i PCSed from Ft.Lewis (5/20INF) to Ft.Hood (1/26 INF) I had a PFC who told me an E4 to go **** my self when i was chewing his *** for being late to work.

This is why im in the WTB i beat the living **** out of him nd blamed it on mental health lol..... Any other E4s and above do that?

Quick Reply: Difference between Marines and Army