Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

can i get the AF to pay for...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i get the AF to pay for...

a private pilot's license? if you log onto the portal and go to the AFVEC page and look to the right-side of the screen, you'll see that there is a $9,000 pool of money awarded for a 1-time certification of your choice (that is NOT part of the annual tuition you are aloud).

i called the education office and talked to them about it, but they said that it wouldn't work (and couldn't really explain in detail why it wouldn't). my next step is to call the VA, but figured i'd ask someone on here while i wait to make the call later this week (after this Phase I).

anyone know anything about it? if so, what's your reference?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes you can, your GI bill will pay for any schooling you need. The reason is that you could use the liscense to have a job after the air force.

I say use your TA money seperate from your GI to pay for it cause when you activate your GI i think you have to use it in full or something like that.

Whats the cost per session or sessions that it will set you back, i think TA will allow for up to 6k a year/course costs dont quote me but its something like that.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, ground school is already c/w. the average session, with an instructor, runs ~$270 per 2 hours of flight. once i solo, it'll drop to maybe $130 (if i choose to drop flight time to an hour a session). figured normally just fly a session a week or every two weeks.

ive got about 30 hours thus far, but about 24 of those hours came from before i joined the AF (>6 years ago), so that's why i need an instructor right now.

if you say you're certain the AF will pay for it, what is your reference? i just want to know so i have some ammunition to fight for this. flying is REALLY expensive, but it's also my life, so it's going to happen one way or the other. it'd just be nice if i didnt have to pay for it.

i guess the biggest thing that makes me wonder how the AF would pay for it is that my sessions aren't preset - the weather greatly affects how long i fly IF i even fly.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Again dont quote me on this because i am not certian that they will i am just saying if it is for education they will pay for it(or should) and getting a pilots liscense is an education to further your skills. Unfortunatly i do not have a reference and i say that because id also like to take some flying courses myself but i havnt looked into it, everything i have told you so far i was told myself and never looked into it.

I say the first step is to look into how much TA covers and for what time frames and see where that takes ya cause i dont think you need a certian course title to use TA, go and talk with the education office on base and see what they say about that when you get a chance. i know you said you already called them but you specifically asked (at least in your post) about the 9k pool awarded for a one time deal to your choice of course and i am not sure about the rules on that.

Give it a shot and keep digging if all else fails you have the GI Bill.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard from several people that the GI Bill will pay for any rating AFTER a PPL (ie: instrument rating, commercial rating, etc) but not for the PPL itself . I don't have a source but I have heard this from people that tried to do the same thing you are trying to do.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i'll just call up the VA when i get the chance. 'preciate the replies thus far, but im sure you can understand why i'd want references and valid sources, seeing as how you're going after similar goals.

i thought you could only use the gi bill when you got out of the military? im not sure about the gi bill since ive never really looked into.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 PM
NKAWTG...N

Why not concentrate on a degree, then go to OTS. Pick up a pilot slot...and fly?

The AF now has a program called IFS (introductory flight screening) at Pueblo, CO where you basically get your PVT in a DA-20 Diamondstar. All the while, you will get paid to fly.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive never heard of the IFS before. since you mentioned it, i'll look into though.

ive been working towards my private license since i figured that will give me just one more edge, possibly, over others when i apply for the rated OTS board. ive heard rumors of how difficult it is to be accepted, so i just wanted to better my chances while i can.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 AM
NKAWTG...N

Well with ROTC they count flight hours, not ratings. So you can NOT have your PVT and have 200+ hours and max that portion of your PCSM.

Not sure if it works that way for OTS though.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Launching!

they pay for the class time only and one certification. You have to pay for the gas, instructor and plane out of pockett. correct me if i am wrong but the ifs course is for those awarded a pilot slot with no prior training ie you must be comissioned first and not have any flight history or be comissioned and have a private liscense but not enough hours.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jester177
they pay for the class time only and one certification. You have to pay for the gas, instructor and plane out of pockett. correct me if i am wrong but the ifs course is for those awarded a pilot slot with no prior training ie you must be comissioned first and not have any flight history or be comissioned and have a private liscense but not enough hours.
yeah thats what ive come across in my search about IFS. it seems though as if its for candidates who got accepted through a rated board already, to help them get their feet on the ground (or off of it, figuratively speaking). as a matter-of-fact, i dont believe ur guaranteed a PPL upon completion of the 6 week course. its simply to help you understand flying and give u a better chance at SUPT.

as far as whether or not you're aloud prior flight training when/if you go to IFS - im not sure. after reading a few posts about the interview process from the rated OTS boards, having a few hours under your belt definately wont hurt.

either way, im getting my PPL - it'd just be nice to have the AF pay for it... $280 every week is too damn much.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

VA does not pay for private pilot license, they do pay for any ratings after that like instrument ratings, multi engine..ect.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
NKAWTG...N

Well I know some people that for IFS didn't go to Pueblo and actually got their PPL at a regular FBO. But true, just going to IFS@Pueblo doesn't mean you get your PPL. But you could probably just do your XCountry time and then take the written and check ride with an FAA examiner. Log all the time you get in the DA-20.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Teching In

So how come they will pay for that but wont pay for an A&P license class? I know that you can get your A&P from embry riddle but they wont pay for an outside agency to give it to you? I would rather just go to the 2 week course and pay the 2000 bucks then to take the classes throught the AF.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Get a pilot slot and OTS if you can. With no professional flight time in the civilian world you will have to start at the bottom of the food chain not making much.

I have been in the airlines for a while and can answer about any qestion you have, feel free to PM me.

On the A&P when you re-up ask about the A&P program (was called Tiger Team). If you are a crew chief, engine, hydraulic, ect ect, they will get you all the sign off's you can get, in other words if you are en engine guy you can only get powerplant. Why use your GI bill if you can get it while you are still in....
Old 11-19-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Get a pilot slot and OTS if you can. With no professional flight time in the civilian world you will have to start at the bottom of the food chain not making much.

I have been in the airlines for a while and can answer about any qestion you have, feel free to PM me.

On the A&P when you re-up ask about the A&P program (was called Tiger Team). If you are a crew chief, engine, hydraulic, ect ect, they will get you all the sign off's you can get, in other words if you are en engine guy you can only get powerplant. Why use your GI bill if you can get it while you are still in....
pm sent

thanks all for the valuable input.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Well I know some people that for IFS didn't go to Pueblo and actually got their PPL at a regular FBO. But true, just going to IFS@Pueblo doesn't mean you get your PPL. But you could probably just do your XCountry time and then take the written and check ride with an FAA examiner. Log all the time you get in the DA-20.
You're referring to the IFT program which no longer exists. Everyone goes to IFS now, and you'll only get 20-25 hours which won't get you a PPL.