Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Question about medical DQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about medical DQ

So i've wanted to go marines for a few years, I'm 18 now. I applied to Naval Academy and went to their summer seminar program and loved it. I finished all my application stuff and was deemed 'highly competitive' academically, and got the number nomination from my local congressman. Unfortunatly my medical waiver was denied for history of seizure. It sucks but I've been accepted to Univ. of Illinois and want to get my degree and then go for infantry officer in the USMC. I've heard two different things from two different recruiters.
Answer one is that anyone with a history of seizure past the age of five is unable to serve in the military regardless. Answer two is that if you go five years no problems off medicine you are able to enter but I will probably have restrictions for my MOS. When i finish by bachelors it should be 9 years no seizures 5 years no medicine. Will I be able to go military then, and if so what restrictions will I have?
I feel like I've already been screwed out of an amazing education at Naval Academy as I had an excellent critique from my instructors as well as my nomination and academic standing/ extra curriculars. Now my NROTC application is under medical review and I'm expecting that to get denied. I've gone from Naval Acad. hopeful to just wanting a spot in the military within a matter of two weeks and no recruiter has been able to give me a straight answer. What do you guys think?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:55 PM
NKAWTG...N

Where there is a will, there is a waiver.

I graduated from U of I, I don't have too many kind words to say about their NROTC program...since I was AFROTC. But the University is awesome and enjoy the armory. Best bet is to talk to the NROTC recruiting officer and tell them your situation.

And if that doesn't work out, try other services. Try the AROTC or AFROTC people. I'd imagine the Army would be more willing to bend the rules since they always need people.

If you have any questions about the school or ROTC there just ask.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

When was your last seizure? why/ what caused them? And yes where there is a will there is a way. Sounds like it has been recent. Keep in excellent shape and dont lose sight of your goal.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Sucks you got denied by DoDMERB for the Academy....I'm all clear and waiting for a letter of assurance. There should be a waiver, I know of people who have gotten waivers for some pretty obscure things but I guess it didn't stop them.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Launching!

i dont think you are going to get a waiver if you are having siezures. IMO i wouldnt want to be under your command in the field knowing you may have a siezure at any moment. it sucks but i would just start looking into another career.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the advice, jester i completely understand your reasoning. Tillery my last seizure would have been october of 2004. There was no reason given and my EKG/EEG (think I had both but can't really remember) were all clear. I was put on a pretty low dose of medicine in 2004 and then taken off about a year ago. It sucks dealing with all this but it is what it is, hopefully I'll be able to get a waiver or whatever and there won't be any problems. Does any recruiter out there have a textbook answer they can offer to this? Like under military code am I perminantly DQ'ed?

Edit: Nacho thats awesome, I hope you get a waiver... do you have everything else in line (congressional nomination etc...) Did you go out there for a summer seminar program?

Last edited by CockerKid009; 01-01-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seizures = no way and for very good reason.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CockerKid009
thanks for all the advice, jester i completely understand your reasoning. Tillery my last seizure would have been october of 2004. There was no reason given and my EKG/EEG (think I had both but can't really remember) were all clear. I was put on a pretty low dose of medicine in 2004 and then taken off about a year ago. It sucks dealing with all this but it is what it is, hopefully I'll be able to get a waiver or whatever and there won't be any problems. Does any recruiter out there have a textbook answer they can offer to this? Like under military code am I perminantly DQ'ed?

Edit: Nacho thats awesome, I hope you get a waiver... do you have everything else in line (congressional nomination etc...) Did you go out there for a summer seminar program?
I'm all clear medically and have my nomination. CFE is in, application is in, all waiting for my letter of assurance. I didn't go to the Seminar, I was playing baseball all summer expanding my options to play in college.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jester177
i dont think you are going to get a waiver if you are having siezures. IMO i wouldnt want to be under your command in the field knowing you may have a siezure at any moment. it sucks but i would just start looking into another career.
+a million. my divo got discharged for sleep walking when they found him in his underwear, asleep in the hallway. unrelated i know, but funny
Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

i understand the concern, I'm not having seizures, i had seizures 5 years ago. Is there any recruiter who can look this up. Mine haven't done **** for me.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly guy the army is the only military branch that is tolerant for seizures. Me being in the army with seizures 7 mos now seizure free. Talking to my neurologist he did in fact tell me if I were in any other branch i would be out with an MEB. If anything i would look into the army because the other branches wont allow it. Shoot me a pm if youve got any other questions man ill see what i can find for ya.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

holy **** a shimmer of light. PM sent
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

PM sent.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the messages, I'll be talking with an army recruiter soon and see if I can gather any more information.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

My niece in laws boyfriend just got the boot from the army for seizures that recurred. If you have a history of seizures its not worth even joining because if it recurrs in any way you will be out of a job and back to starting your career over as a civilian. Just go find a civilian career to get into because being in the army with seizure history is just like waiting to lose your job. And if you have a history and it comes back while you are in you probbably wont get much if anything for disability.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

probably true

Quick Reply: Question about medical DQ