Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

military storage question - USMC

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default military storage question - USMC

i was wondering what to do when i leave. i have thought about selling my car many times but i realy love it to death and wouldnt want to start over. i know i will need a car to go from x to x but i am almost thinking it will be easier to get rid of it than keep it.
if i keep my car, it will stay with family until i can take it to wherever i get stationed.
i have an 0300 mos and am hoping to get stationed in SD but anything could happen.

i am wondering what is base storage like? i could also put it in storage but that adds up.

im hoping you guys could give me some ideas as to what you guys have done or are doing so i can work something out.

thank you,
-Brian
Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM
NKAWTG...N

I am in the same quazi situation you are. From what I have found, its okay for you to leave it (covered for example) on a base lot. There is also generally plentiful amounts of storage places just outside of the base (atleast at every AF base I have ever been to).

I am trying to sell my car for the same reason it appears you are, but it's not a very good market out there. Probably easier to keep it, which is what I am probably going to do.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

well, most bases I have been on have long term lots, but I dont know if I would leave my car there for months at a time... I have left my car covered for like 2 weeks while my ship was gone, but I usually left it with friends. If I was leaving for months and didnt have a place to put it, I would rent a storage unit for like 100 bucks a month and leave it there.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on pendleton you have 2 choices you can either store it at TMO and it will be outdoors and in a gated lot but not very secure and open to the elements. option 2 is the base storage lot. i used one of these last deplyment for me and my wifes furniture and what not but i stored my car at a storage place out in town for a much cheaper price then they wanted on bse
Old 01-17-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
on pendleton you have 2 choices you can either store it at TMO and it will be outdoors and in a gated lot but not very secure and open to the elements. option 2 is the base storage lot. i used one of these last deplyment for me and my wifes furniture and what not but i stored my car at a storage place out in town for a much cheaper price then they wanted on bse
thank you jsteele. thats the info i was looking for. how much does it cost for the base storage compared to what you are paying for now? since im going 0300 im sure i will deploy (many times) and i dont want to leave it in the elements.

stole it - yeah the market isnt that great but i might be easier to just not deal with it. then again, i will have to start over or start with a vette

formula - i am thinking i just might do that as it seems it will be the best bang for the buck.

any other advice is greatly appreciated.
-Brian
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it was around 120 a month i paid to store my camaro in a 10x20 enclosed climate controlled storage unit. i think it was around 160 on base.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

thank you jsteele!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F8L_LS1
thank you jsteele. thats the info i was looking for. how much does it cost for the base storage compared to what you are paying for now? since im going 0300 im sure i will deploy (many times) and i dont want to leave it in the elements.

stole it - yeah the market isnt that great but i might be easier to just not deal with it. then again, i will have to start over or start with a vette

formula - i am thinking i just might do that as it seems it will be the best bang for the buck.

any other advice is greatly appreciated.
-Brian

quick ? are you even in yet? Or are you talking about storing your car when you go to bootcamp? You mention 03 like you haven't been thru bootcamp or SOI yet...

if your talking about storing it while you get deployed, like the other guys said, TMO or out in town... I would store it out in town just for peace of mind.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

just leave it with a friend or family member you trust with it. that will it wont sit for too long, and someone will have a close eye on it...you could send it to me....
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 AM
9 Second Club

i put my car inside a storage uint 10 by 20 but it did cost alittle more than i wanted but the car is safe and you dont have to worry about it getting f--- up by anything

Quick Reply: military storage question - USMC