Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Manas Closing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manas Closing

Knew this would probably happen with pressure probably from Russia. I got the report when the kid shot the civilian and he seriously thought the guy was coming at him with a knife at the checkpoint.

(CNN) -- The Kyrgyz government is planning to close a strategically important U.S. military base that Washington uses as a route for troops and supplies heading into Afghanistan, Russian media reported Tuesday.

A U.S. troop guards the main access checkpoint to the Manas Air Base on December 18, 2008.

Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiyev said Tuesday at a news conference in Moscow that "all due procedures" were being initiated to close Manas Air Base, the Russian news agency RIA-Novosti reported.

The announcement was made after news reports of a multimillion-dollar aid package from Russia to Kyrgyzstan.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell on Tuesday called Manas "a hugely important air base."

"It provides us with launching point to provide supplies in Afghanistan. We very much appreciate [Kyrgyz] support in using that base and we hope to continue," he said at his daily news briefing.

Gen. David Petraeus, who oversees U.S. operations in the Middle East and Central Asia, including Afghanistan, was in Kyrgyzstan last month, partly to lobby the government to allow the United States to keep using the base.

Don't Miss
U.S. helping Afghan farmers give up opium for wheat
Bomber kills 18 policemen in Afghanistan
Documents give insight into increased violence in Afghanistan
Afghanistan: Can Obama succeed in the 'land of the unruly?'
He said he and Kyrgyz leaders did not discuss "at all" the possible closure of the base and said local officials told him there was "no foundation" for news reports about the issue.

The mountainous former Soviet republic is Central Asia's second poorest country.

The United States pays about $63 million a year for use of the base and employs more than 320 Kyrgyz citizens there, Petraeus said. The base has been in operation since December 2001 under U.N. mandate

The Russian newspaper Kommersant reported Tuesday that Russia would offer Kyrgyzstan a $300 million, 40-year loan at an annual interest rate of 0.75 percent, and write off $180 million of Kyrgyz debt.

Kyrgystan is also home to a Russian military base, at Kant, that officially opened in 2003.

The United States is planning to send an additional 30,000 troops to Afghanistan to halt a resurgence of the Taliban. Petraeus described Manas as having "an important role in the deployment of these forces" and in refueling aircraft.

The relationship between the United States and Kyrgyzstan was damaged when a Kyrgyz citizen was killed by a U.S. airman in December 2006. The airman was transferred out of Kyrgyzstan and the dead man's family was offered compensation. Petraeus said in January the investigation was being reopened.

Bakiyev said in announcing the base closure Tuesday he was not satisfied with the inquiry into the accident and that his government's "inability to provide security to its citizens" was proving a serious concern.
Here is what the AF Times has to say about it. Definitely sounds like Russia is pushing us out of as many countries as they can in that region to take control military wise in the region. That was a LONG *** flight from Germany to Afghan and back, 28 hours I was up :o

U.S. official: Kyrgyz base is not closing
By Mike Eckel - The Associated Press
Posted : Tuesday Feb 3, 2009 18:13:32 EST
MOSCOW — Kyrgyzstan’s president said Tuesday that his country is ending U.S. use of a key airbase that supports military operations in Afghanistan.

A U.S. military official in Afghanistan called President Kurmanbek Bakiyev’s statement “political positioning” and denied the U.S. presence at the Manas airbase would end anytime soon.

Ending U.S. access would have potentially far-reaching consequences for U.S. and NATO operations in Afghanistan, where the United States is preparing to deploy an additional 15,000 troops to shut down the Taliban and al-Qaida.

It would also signal a significant victory for Moscow in its efforts to squeeze the United States out of Central Asia, home to substantial oil and gas reserves and seen by Russia as part of its strategic sphere of influence.

Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiyev spoke on a visit to Moscow minutes after Russia announced it was providing the poor Central Asian nation with billions of dollars in aid.

The Kyrgyz government “has made the decision on ending the term for the American base on the territory of Kyrgyzstan and this decision will be announced tomorrow or the day after,” Bakiyev said in televised comments.

Col. Greg Julian, the U.S. spokesman in Afghanistan, denied there was any change in U.S. use of the base and he noted that Gen. David Petraeus, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, recently traveled there.

“I think it’s political positioning. Gen. Petraeus was just there and he talked with them. We have a standing contract and they’re making millions off our presence there. There are no plans to shut down access to it anytime soon,” he told The Associated Press.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said: “I have seen nothing to suggest, other than press reports, that the Russians are attempting to undermine our use of that facility.”

The U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyzstan was also unable to comment immediately and said a press briefing was scheduled for Wednesday morning.

The United States set up the Manas base and a base in neighboring Uzbekistan after the September 2001 terror attacks, to back operations in Afghanistan. Uzbekistan expelled U.S. troops from the base on its territory in 2005 in a dispute over human rights issues, leaving Manas as the only U.S. military facility in the region.

There are frequent U.S. flights between Manas and the main U.S. base in Afghanistan at Bagram.

Russia has long been suspicious of the U.S. presence. Russia also uses a military airbase in the ex-Soviet nation.

During his visit last month, Petraeus said that Manas would be key to plans to boost the U.S. troop presence in Afghanistan. He also said the United States currently pumps a total of $150 million into Kyrgyzstan’s economy annually, including $63 million in rent for Manas.

Russia, however, agreed Tuesday to provide Kyrgyzstan with $2 billion in loans plus another $150 million in financial aid.

Central Asia is key to U.S. efforts to secure an alternative supply line to forces in Afghanistan. The main route, through the Khyber Pass in Pakistan’s northwest, has occasionally been closed in recent months due to rising attacks by bandits and Islamist militants, including one Tuesday that destroyed a bridge.

During a trip to the region last month, which included a stop in Kyrgyzstan, Petraeus said America had struck deals with Russia and several Central Asian states close to or bordering Afghanistan.

NATO spokesman Eric Povel said the alliance could not comment because use of the base was an issue for the U.S. and Kyrgyzstan.

“It’s not a NATO base,” he said.

Last edited by BigT2002; 02-04-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea we briefed that this morning...i wonder how this will effect us leaving Afghan?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HartAttack
Yea we briefed that this morning...i wonder how this will effect us leaving Afghan?
Yea that will be interesting to find out being that was the whole reason its there i think. Might have to fly straight to turkey then.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dex
Yea that will be interesting to find out being that was the whole reason its there i think. Might have to fly straight to turkey then.
See how long it takes those ****** to pull out too. Russia is pushing all those countries around and giving them what they want to push us out of their backyard.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm interesting I was a transient there just a few months ago, nice little post too. Russia is definatly taking this economic disaster to its advantage. We'll see what happens
Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah, i was in Manas for about 3 days... enroute to Afghanistan... Best thing i got was a couple of massages..
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks!! I was there back in 03' for 4 months. Not a bad deployment at all. I'll be sad to see it close if in fact does.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone will just route through Kuwait like the Army does now. 3.5 hour flight if I remember correctly.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Restricted User

I really hated that place. It sucks for us strategically, but I'm not sad to see it go. I was there for one of their beer nights coming home from Afghanistan once so that was very nice. I remember they (the AF) wanted us to wear PT uniforms and we were like, ummm, we don't have those.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
NKAWTG...N

It's not gonna close.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not to bad of a post. I don't think is should be an area to receive combat pay. It's like being station in Quatar.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoleIt
It's not gonna close.
I think if President, I mean Czar, I mean Dictator, I mean Prime Minister Putin has anything to say it will.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on how much money we through at it. As far as getting combat pay you don't. You get Hazardous Duty and and Hostile fire.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

It's not gonna close.
care to wager on that?

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan — Kyrgyzstan’s parliament voted Thursday to close a key U.S. air base in the country — a move that could hamper President Barack Obama’s efforts to increase the number of U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

Deputies voted 78-1 with two abstentions for the government-backed bill to cancel the lease agreement on the Manas air base, a transit point for 15,000 troops and 500 tons of cargo each month to and from Afghanistan. The move follows Russia’s offer of $2.15 billion in aid and loans to the impoverished Central Asian country.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, in Poland for NATO talks, said the United States would consider paying more rent to continue using the strategic base. Speaking after the parliament vote in Kyrgyzstan, Gates said he considers talks still open over the future of the base.

Russia has denied pushing Kyrgyzstan to shut the base, but U.S. officials were skeptical.

“I think that the Russians are trying to have it both ways with respect to Afghanistan in terms of Manas,” Gates said. “On one hand you’re making positive noises about working with us in Afghanistan and on the other hand you’re working against us in terms of that airfield which is clearly important to us.”

Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiyev, who announced the planned eviction and whose government introduced the legislation, is expected to sign the bill in the coming weeks. Once Kyrgyz authorities issue an eviction notice, the United States will have 180 days to leave the base.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said the U.S. has “yet to receive any formal notification of a change in status of Manas so our operations there continue as normal.”

“A stable, peaceful Afghanistan is in everyone’s interest, including the Kyrgyz people, and Manas is instrumental to our efforts to make that a reality,” he said. “However, the base is not irreplaceable and we have alternatives should they be needed.”

Widespread public discontent in Kyrgyzstan over the U.S. military presence has been sharpened in recent years by a number of high-profile incidents surrounding the base.

In late 2006, a U.S. serviceman fatally shot truck driver Alexander Ivanov during a routine security check. U.S. officials said Ivanov threatened the serviceman with a knife. On a recent visit to Kyrgyzstan, U.S. Gen. David Petraeus said an investigation into the killing had been reopened.

“So far, no American soldier appeared in court,” Kyrgyz foreign minister Kadyrbek Sarbayev told deputies Thursday.

Sarbayev also complained the United States has failed to adequately compensate Kyrgyzstan for $650,000 worth of damage caused to a civilian Tu-154 plane when it collided with a U.S. KC-135 tanker aircraft.

The only opposition to the Kyrgyz bill came from the Social Democrat party, which argued the shuttering of Manas could undermine national security.

The United States is trying to finalize details of an alternative overland supply route to Afghanistan amid concerns over worsening security in Pakistan. Some 75 percent of U.S. supplies currently travel through Pakistan, where militants have stepped up attacks on truck convoys destined for U.S. bases.

Washington has already received permission from Russia and Kazakhstan to transport non-lethal supplies for Afghanistan by rail. It hopes to secure similar guarantees from Uzbekistan, which has a border and transportation links with Afghanistan.

NATO spokesman James Appathurai said the Kyrgyz vote was “an inconvenience and a decision to regret, but we can certainly absorb it.”

“There is plenty of flexibility in the logistical supply chain for NATO,” he added. “There are alternatives; they will be used.”

About 100 containers of non-lethal supplies bound for Afghanistan left by train Wednesday from Latvia for Russia, U.S. diplomats said.

Also Thursday, a delegation of U.S. military transportation officials arrived in another former Soviet state in the region, Tajikistan, which shares an 810-mile (1,300-kilometer) border with Afghanistan.

The officials will study Tajikistan’s transportation infrastructure and evaluate the potential for shipping nonmilitary cargo through the country to Afghanistan, the Tajik Foreign Ministry said.

———

Associated Press writers Anne Gearan and Vanessa Gera in Krakow, Poland, and Olga Tutubalina in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, contributed to this report.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
NKAWTG...N

I wont believe it until we are boots off the ground.

I am betting this is just extortion to get more money.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

I wont believe it until we are boots off the ground.

I am betting this is just extortion to get more money.
They just CANX all the ULN's for my career field to Manas on the next rotation and are keeping the ones there until the base closes now. We've been given 6 months to vacate the base. So I'm telling you right now its going to happen.

You do realize that Russia is giving their government a crapload more money than we are willing to give them and forgiving them debt as well right?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just read that this morning too... and then Robert Gates still says there's a chance they could still stay there with an agreement on the money situation.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 PM
NKAWTG...N

A lot can change in 6 months. I am still betting this will get worked out.

Sucks regardless. Lose, lose for us.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I just read that this morning too... and then Robert Gates still says there's a chance they could still stay there with an agreement on the money situation.
They want a CRAP load of money. If you have SIPR I'll send you the link

Quick Reply: Manas Closing