Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

i joined the Army

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sort of in the same boat as you i joined the Navy back in Oct as an EO(heavy equipment operator) SeaBees. Got a 7k bonus but had to sign for 5 years. Leave on July 15 for Great Lakes then off to Fort Leanord Wood for A school cant wait. My signing bonus will go to rebuilding this
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Good choice! Im a 21R, which is also an engineer. I was deployed with quiet a for a year with 21E's. Good times. Driving a d-7 dozer is a huge power trip. Thing is unstopable.

lemmi host a 21E pic for ya...
Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Im pretty sure this is a d-9 dozer.

Imagine driving through a house.

f-yea.
Thats me in '06
Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Damn that things a beast. Now all you need is to mount a 50 cal on top and your good to go. Seriously tho i cant wait to learn to drive all the Navys cool ****.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
welcome to army young soldier. i just saw this thread. just a piece of advice. when you see a drill sgt getting near you yell "at ease!" and go to parade rest. i myself am a ft leonard wood drill sgt and will be there somewhere when you are down there for bct. just remember your military customs and courtesies that youll be taught and life will be okay. and yes after your OSUT training you should have at least 3 days leave till your first duty station. attention to detail young soldier...thats what we stress upon you. listen attentively and move with a purpose. you will make friends that you will have for the rest of your life
yes, Drill Sgt

just so i know before i end up regretting it,are we allowed to bring our cell phones and ipods to bct?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kempfs92
yes, Drill Sgt

just so i know before i end up regretting it,are we allowed to bring our cell phones and ipods to bct?

You can, but you won't be able to use them. They'll lock them up with the rest of your personal belongings until you graduate the BCT portion atleast, the Joe's in the troop I was in didn't get them back until OSUT was complete tho. But then again 19D is more like a 16 week basic, thankfully I was only there for the last 7 weeks (AIT portion)

Also, remember, you're nothing but a sponge. Just take in everything they teach you, not matter how stupid it may seem. In boot for the Navy they tought us how to tie our boots, laces on top from left to right and people managed to mess that up. Taking in everything, apply it, you'll be just fine.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Make sure you say: Please-Thank you- Sir-Ma'am- and Sorry to the Drill Sergeants.

J/K. Whatever you do, DON'T say those things to them. lol

I know I didn't allow it. During the 1st 3 weeks it was 1 minute of flutter kicks for everytime I heard one of those words. Usually had 15-20 mins worth by the end of everyday.

I didn't read all the posts but everyone pretty much told you all you need to be successful.

My .02:

DS is ALWAYS right!
Do what your told as FAST as you can.
EVERYTHING the DS does is for a reason!!!(remember this)
Have fun. You get to do ALOT of fun sh*t in Basic!
And yes, the time goes by FAST.

Scott
Old 05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Are you a Drill Sgt?

I know only speak when told so,and only say yes/no Drill Sgt,
And don't smile ,even if its small talk
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

I was. Did 3 years under the Hat there at Leonard Wood. Been off the trail a year now.
lol yeah, don't "show your teeth". not a good thing. Especially if you have a female DS! They are usually the worst ones.

Oh, one more thing: during the first few weeks y'all won't be able to do ANYTHING right or fast enough. Don't let it get you down. It'll get better.

And have fun in the gas chamber. LOL I Miss that little gray building!!!

Scott
Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Teching In

I just heard eat a lite lunch,that day,haha

I better start remembering the pledge of alliagnce (sp)?
Lol
Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

well my neighbor, was infantry in Marines, now hes a cop and in swat, so i guess that could be one thing?
thats because he was a marine!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:31 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

i have family in Atlanta, so i wouldnt mind Fort Macpherson or somewhere in Georgia
There are better places to go than Atlanta. The military will give you opportunities that you likely won't get on the civilian side, I recommend you take them. Go live in Germany, Hawaii, etc. Do it now while you're young. Wherever you go, with your MOS, you'll probably be in Afghanistan in no time, anyways.

Good luck and give us a holler when you can.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
I was. Did 3 years under the Hat there at Leonard Wood. Been off the trail a year now.
damn...im sorry i missed ya down there. im a 98th division drill from NY.

lol yeah, don't "show your teeth". not a good thing. Especially if you have a female DS! They are usually the worst ones.
no truer words have been spoken in this thread. heed this advice, female drills are vicious.lol

Oh, one more thing: during the first few weeks y'all won't be able to do ANYTHING right or fast enough. Don't let it get you down. It'll get better.

And have fun in the gas chamber. LOL I Miss that little gray building!!!

Scott
nothin better then the look they have when the kids are all lined up to go in the building. except....the look when they come out. snot all over the place...
Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Staging Lane

KCS is right dude!!! "home" will ALWAYS be there. Don't join the Army and go straight back to where you've spent your whole life. Get out and see the world man, and by the time your friends have graduated college you'll have been around the world at least twice!
I was in 4 different duty stations in 6 years! Ft. Hood, Tx/Korea/Ft. Leonard Wood/and Germany. Loved every minute of it!
lol, Not many people can say they have Ski'd the swiss alps,toured Paris AND Rome, and spent Millineum New Years in AMSTERDAMN!
Oh, and Hawaii is pretty nice too.

Next stop: Alaska... Home of the King Salmon, 200+ lb Halibut, and Moose that weigh more than my CAR!!!!

Ok, I'm done rambling.

There's ALOT of mlitary experience and knowledge in this section. If you want to know about something just ask. Cause once you get to Basic the DS won't allow you to just ask whatever the hell you want. Not for the first 6-7 weeks anyway.

Scott
Old 05-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO: "damn...im sorry i missed ya down there. im a 98th division drill from NY."

When were you there and what company were you in?

I was there from May '05 to May '08. A 1-48 IN BN. Might have seen me rolling around. I had the only White SS on post. Pretty sure I came across some DS from NY.

Scott
Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Thanks for advice,
Sorry for my questions,
I just want to be prepared,bc the worst is being illprepared.

O, will the Drill Sgt. Prob say something about my tattoos I have 3,nothing bad,
A 69 z/28 emblem on my left arm,

A trans am bird, on my right arm to my shoulder,
And then a meattagon my left ribs
With my gpas, initals,and branch and what war they were in.

Last edited by kempfs92; 05-16-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for advice,
Sorry for my questions,
I just want to be prepared,bc the worst is being illprepared.

O, will the Drill Sgt. Prob say something about my tattoos I have 3,nothing bad,
A 69 z/28 emblem on my left arm,

A trans am bird, on my right arm to my shoulder,
And then a meattagon my left ribs
With my gpas, initals,and branch and what war they were in.

Don't apologize for asking questions. Just stop saying the word sorry altogether (it'll make your life easier)
As for your tats, the DS might ask you about 'em but thats about it.

Your recruiter should have given you a packing list of what you can/cannot bring to Basic. It IS NOT all inclusive. If you post it up or send it to me I can tell you what to add/remove from the list to make your life easier.

LOL, I can't believe I'm saying all this ****! Here I am helping to make it easier for you and I'll be the first one to say that Basic is TOO easy now days.

That's ok, I'll just make a quick phone call once you get there to make sure you get "special" attention!! LOL
Just think of the special attention as a Rite of Passage into the Engineer world!

Scott
Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck, just play stupid as said in some advice above sponge. I enjoyed my time and it sure the hell aint an experience i'll ever forget, charlie mike.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That's ok, I'll just make a quick phone call once you get there to make sure you get "special" attention!! LOL
Just think of the special attention as a Rite of Passage into the Engineer world!

Scott
"Special attention." I remember that. A friend of mine hooked me up with that in basic. That bastard. The Army is a lot different now than it was then though.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Yes,Drill Sgt.

Here's a list,
plane/bus tix
Orders
Form 1199
Meal tickets
All meps docs.
Birth certificate
6 pairs of underwear(white)