Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

In DEP and have an issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In DEP and have an issue.

So I signed up for the USAF and have been honesty about my criminal background (I had a shoplifting charge and they approved my waiver for it). I swore in on Thursday and called up my dad to tell him. I hadnt talked to him in a while but he mentioned if I had put down something I had done in 7th grade. I instantly went cold and I just couldnt believe I forgot. I dont even remember the incident or WHY, but I do remember going to court and later that year having a case sealed.
Now before you guys jump down my throat, I FULLY intend to tell my recruiter about this tomorrow morning. My problem is that I dont remember WHY I was summoned to court (I was 12 I think when it happened and Im 24 now). I called the Denver courts and (since it was sealed) they cant tell me anything about it, because well, it doesnt exist. The FBI however do have access to sealed files and I already signed the paper for my Secret clearance check.

I know worst case scenario I could be booted out of DEP for this, but how likely is that since I will fully disclose this tomorrow?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
So I signed up for the USAF and have been honesty about my criminal background (I had a shoplifting charge and they approved my waiver for it). I swore in on Thursday and called up my dad to tell him. I hadnt talked to him in a while but he mentioned if I had put down something I had done in 7th grade. I instantly went cold and I just couldnt believe I forgot. I dont even remember the incident or WHY, but I do remember going to court and later that year having a case sealed.
Now before you guys jump down my throat, I FULLY intend to tell my recruiter about this tomorrow morning. My problem is that I dont remember WHY I was summoned to court (I was 12 I think when it happened and Im 24 now). I called the Denver courts and (since it was sealed) they cant tell me anything about it, because well, it doesnt exist. The FBI however do have access to sealed files and I already signed the paper for my Secret clearance check.

I know worst case scenario I could be booted out of DEP for this, but how likely is that since I will fully disclose this tomorrow?
Is it something you did? misdemeanor? Be upfront with your recruiter and tell the person how it is/what it is...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know that it was not a felony. Im sure it only had to be a misdemeanor, but the only thing I can even come close to remembering is something like talking about wanting to beat up my gym teacher. I dont know what the police cited me for. Im guessing something along the lines of a threat. How can I get this info?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Teching In

you have to request your JV records personally at the JV courthouse, can't just call over the phone.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly would not worry about it. When you have to fill out an SF86 form (security clearance form) then, I'd be honest about it. If you've already filled the form out, then just be up front when it comes time for your interview with the screener.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anarchy99
I honestly would not worry about it. When you have to fill out an SF86 form (security clearance form) then, I'd be honest about it. If you've already filled the form out, then just be up front when it comes time for your interview with the screener.
depending on how old you are, you only have to go back 7 year on an sf86 for a secret clearane/10 for a top secret. if the incident is outside that time frame, don't worry about it.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Banned

I don't think they are going to give a **** about something that happened when you were 12 anyway, SECRET is not that big of a deal, you probably won't even be interviewed. I wasn't, nor were any of the people I put down for character references, it was a glorified background check
Old 12-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Launching!

dont worry about it, if they ask you about it later then tell them but until then dont even sweat it because they probably will not even see it. unless you need top secret clearence then you better start singing but since you have a charge already i doubt you will be getting a TS regardless.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I was an Army Recruiter. Typically they go back 10 years for TS, and ppl get knocks on the door. You will be interviewed. In short, it's a really indepth investigation including all paper trails...

Secret initial, folks may or may not be called, interviewed, your paper trails and associates may or may not be tracked down. I was interviewed for my periodic reinvestigation before I was selected for Recruiting duty.

Tell your Recruiter, but I wouldnt be overly concerned about it.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jperran
I don't think they are going to give a **** about something that happened when you were 12 anyway, SECRET is not that big of a deal, you probably won't even be interviewed. I wasn't, nor were any of the people I put down for character references, it was a glorified background check
From what I remember last year when I was getting my TS...they only go back to age 16 for most offenses don't they? I mean, if you had a manslaughter charge at 14 that would **** you over, but for the most part, when they are conducting a background check, they only go back 10 years, or to age 16 IIRC. Govt Civilian here.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys. I told my recruiter and she said it isnt a big deal at all. I just need to get a date/year of when it happened and get it on file since there isnt really a record of it for the public eye.
I do only need a SECRET clearance. In fact, JPerran, that makes me breath easier. I am going for TAC P just like you !

Quick Reply: In DEP and have an issue.