Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Opinions on the Repealing of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" Policy

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions on the Repealing of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" Policy

Well with all the news going on about the repealing of the 1993 "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy I figured I would see what all of us think about it. Feel free to share your opinions on the matter as it seems it will effect all of us here soon.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm torn. I may or may not have known a few ppl that would be directly affected by this. We may or may not have known but they were great people, great soldiers, and far beyond terrific at their jobs. As such, anything we may or may not have known about them was kinda irrelevant. They were part of our team and part of our family. We joked around with them like anyone else, with no special treatment. We also fiercely protected them like family.

In some units I tend to think gays would be no more in danger than anywhere else in society. Some people will be accepting, some will be indifferent, some will dislike, and some will be quite against the notion. Other units may not be as open without affecting how well the teams work together. I don't pretend to talk for a combat unit but the level of trust they must have to survive, I would imagine, is quite high.

Can the army adapt? Sure. Will it affect force combat readiness? I imagine so, for some units. Will there be issues? Absolutely. The military is arguably not unlike any slice of society. There will be those who do not accept and take matters into their own hands. "Accidents" will happen and nobody will see anything. Hate to say it and it's not a knock on the army as much as it is on our culture as a whole. Problem is now it will be happening within the armed forces. Say one or two soldiers beats the tar out of a gay soldier and are arrested. This takes both the victim and the suspect(s) out of the fight. Cost to the military: their training, their units are now down trained and experienced soldiers, the military must foot the bill for the trial, and there are medical costs.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usafcrewchief01
Well with all the news going on about the repealing of the 1993 "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy I figured I would see what all of us think about it. Feel free to share your opinions on the matter as it seems it will effect all of us here soon.
Nah I think it will affect you more than everyone else

j/k
Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

I know two soldiers that are gay in our own unit. They still perform the job they need to, but there will be downsides and repercusions (spelling?). My thoughts are also split, for many reasons.

The upside means that soldiers will be able to keep their integrity by telling the truth about their sexual preference. I dont care what you like, what you don't like ect, don't push on me I wont push on you. Its great that we as a military may be able to move forward into a new era of soldiering

Downsides far outweigh the ups, but most are "what might come" from the decision. I can see a few things coming about. Number one, EO complaints saying that "he picks on me because I'm gay" or something to that nature..."You wouldn't demote me if I were straight". Second, old school army, and we still have them in many units, where we have people who don't even like a different race, how are they going to feel about a sexual orientation. Barracks, think about this, a guy brings his g/f over, the other guy in the barracks room doesn't say too much, but a guy brings over a guy, the third guy is apt to feel REALLy uncomforatable. This means switching around barracks rooms ect.

There are a million "what if" examples, but I won't divulge into all of them. I think as long as they are like every other marine, soldier, airman, ect and come to work, do their job, professionally, and can leave the rest at home, no problem. The first one that comes in with the cliquish gay attitude, I don't know how to better explain it, will get my boot to that ***.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i completely agree with the above statement. especially the "cliquish gay attitude". as long as you can perform your duties i don't see what it matters what sexual orientation you are. just don't come prancing around me with your t-shirt tied in a knot and speaking with a lisp. i knew a guy in my tech school who spoke like any other guy until he came out of the closet and turned into super homo asking my friend if she would hook him up with me. i don't care if you're gay just don't push that on me. i can see a lot of gay bashing coming out of this too.

and did anyone else notice the gay singles add at the bottom of the page? WTF!?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

My biggest concern is things like latrines/shower or even living quarters. You will always have those people that will never agree with thier life choices and when it comes to living quarters or showering/latrines with homo-sexual people these kind of people will flip out. Same reason we don't have co-ed latrines/living quarters. Realisticly speaking should it matter what their sexual preferrence is, no. Will it, yes without a doubt. I've know and had the priviledge of having a few friends in the military that were homo-sexual and you would have no clue until they told you. But people are stupid and hate others that are different and I'm thinking this will open up a lot of unforturnate issues for those that choose to be open about their preferrences.
Tate
Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

It'll never work in the Marine Corps. Marines are programmed from day 1 with an Alpha Male, overly aggressive mentality. Gays in the Marine Corps will result in a lot of assault chargers.

Not trying to hype up the Marines, it's just the only branch of service I can speak for.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I joined the military before the don't ask don't tell policy. There were gays then, there are gays now and there will continue to be gays in the military. Each branch has about the same percentage of gays and if they change it to allow gays I'm willing to bet that percentage will not change much, if any. I don't think they should allow open homosexuality in the military, it will cause issues.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
It'll never work in the Marine Corps. Marines are programmed from day 1 with an Alpha Male, overly aggressive mentality. Gays in the Marine Corps will result in a lot of assault chargers.

Not trying to hype up the Marines, it's just the only branch of service I can speak for.
If you think there aren't any homosexuals in the Marine Corps you are nuts.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
I joined the military before the don't ask don't tell policy. There were gays then, there are gays now and there will continue to be gays in the military. Each branch has about the same percentage of gays and if they change it to allow gays I'm willing to bet that percentage will not change much, if any. I don't think they should allow open homosexuality in the military, it will cause issues.
x3 they are just asking for problems/drama making it open to gays. I don't enjoy doing a drug test when the guy is up on me enjoying it. you know what i mean? there are many other scenarios that will cause issues.

i don't have a problem but when a group of them confront you/hit on you to try to "hook up" then i would be pissed/ offended and it would be time to someones ***
Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have an idea. Leave your sexual orientation at home and come to work to get the job done. What or who you do in your off time is your own business.... and I don't need you telling me about it
Old 02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I have an idea. Leave your sexual orientation at home and come to work to get the job done. What or who you do in your off time is your own business.... and I don't need you telling me about it
I agree.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Compg
My biggest concern is things like latrines/shower or even living quarters. You will always have those people that will never agree with thier life choices and when it comes to living quarters or showering/latrines with homo-sexual people these kind of people will flip out. Same reason we don't have co-ed latrines/living quarters. Realisticly speaking should it matter what their sexual preferrence is, no. Will it, yes without a doubt. I've know and had the priviledge of having a few friends in the military that were homo-sexual and you would have no clue until they told you. But people are stupid and hate others that are different and I'm thinking this will open up a lot of unforturnate issues for those that choose to be open about their preferrences.
Tate
I couldn't agree more with you...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got this in an email today, its too funny not to share.

WASHINGTON (SR) - President Barack Obama has directed the Pentagon to replace the "don't ask, don't tell" policy with one that will allow openly gay men and women to serve in the military.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, will present details of the plan to U.S. Lawmakers next Tuesday.
According to sources inside the Pentagon, changes to be implemented include adding choreography to marching regimens, equipping all dorms with double-wide bunks, new fitted uniforms in seasonal color palettes, the installation of hot tubs, and more.
In a potentially controversial move, the Pentagon will announce the formation of a new all-gay, all male company tentatively named "69th Fighting Sodomites." Sources credit the creation of the 69th to House member Barney Frank, who has reportedly been working "very, very closely" with gay Pentagon officials.

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on the Repealing of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" Policy-image001-3-.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the laugh, when it started talking about color palette uniforms, all I could think of is thenew ones that the australian army wears.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

can you hold a gun? are you 18? can you pass the physical? then get your *** out there and shoot back... bullets have no prejudice. if your gay & " not that there is anything wrong with that " i personally could careless either way. if it doesn't physically prevent you from defending the mother land then get out there and fight fight fight! i rather have a guy who plays on " the other team" with a gun giving cover fire who wants to defend the flag over no one at all.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
is that not the idea behind dont ask dont tell? Im just like anyone else, if your gay thats cool more power to ya, i have a wife but im not gonna run up to a gay dude and be like holy **** you HAVE to try it! dont ask....dont tell. If you can hold a gun and hit what your aiming at and fufill your orders then youre a soldier in my eyes. Gay or straight hasnt got **** to do with it, this is just a way to expose and create new lines, its not right, if its not broke dont fix it and the "living up to integrity" thing yeah, i get it, thats a core army value i live by but i also believe in doing whats right, and sometimes shutting up is right especially when its gonna keep us safe out there
Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by master_disaster
is that not the idea behind dont ask dont tell? Im just like anyone else, if your gay thats cool more power to ya, i have a wife but im not gonna run up to a gay dude and be like holy **** you HAVE to try it! dont ask....dont tell. If you can hold a gun and hit what your aiming at and fufill your orders then youre a soldier in my eyes. Gay or straight hasnt got **** to do with it, this is just a way to expose and create new lines, its not right, if its not broke dont fix it and the "living up to integrity" thing yeah, i get it, thats a core army value i live by but i also believe in doing whats right, and sometimes shutting up is right especially when its gonna keep us safe out there
Not really like don't ask don't tell at all, which implies that you can be gay and service as long as you don't tell anyone. IMO, that's BS. It's a sanctioned lie.

IMO, let anyone that wants to serve, serve. But, if personal choices get in the way of you doing your job, straight, gay, whatever.. then expect to be fired. Lastly, don't ask for preferential treatment because you are 'different'.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

I hear them homo's clean alot, we need a few of them fruit cup's in our barracks. It's nasty as hell in here
Old 02-13-2010, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

^^So they can come in and hang curtians everywhere..lol

That bit with the patch is good to..

The only thing I have to say is it will get interesting..and there will be some definate problems and MEO issues.

There was a Fire Fighter that I was deployed with my last tour..he was EXTREMELY flamboiant..even had a little "buddy" he ran around with..

This guy was so bad I swear he had a period every month..he sure as hell had PMS like a chick..lol

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Repealing of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" Policy