Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

PCSing to Germany

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCSing to Germany

I just reenlisted for Germany (Im in the Army). I still havent came down on orders so I havent found out my exact location yet. I just wanted to see who all has been and what to expect with moving, shipping everything including the car! I've heard some good and some bad I just wanted to see what everyones expierence that has lived there thought! Any help would be appriciated! Im pretty excited to go in May/June!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

mightymustangs.net

tell them harley sent you
Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I hope you don't get sent to Baumholder.
IMO The best part of Germany is the lack of speed limits other than that really not a fan. Everything closes early and a lot of the people suck. The shopping and restaurant selection also sucks compared to the US and forget about midnight runs to Wal-Mart. But if you're into traveling you'll probably love Germany. Not to mention the Euro compared to the dollar isn't around 1 to .59 anymore so its not as expensive as it was.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

I honestly can't stand this country. Being in Baumholder and Germany for that matter will be 2 years I'll never get back.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Damn...all negative lol! I guess itll be an experience either way!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

I was stationed in Ramstein for two years. LOVED IT! But Ramstein AFB was the USAFE HQ, so you wanna talk about political BS on that base!!!? OMG terrible! We had a 4 star that lived ON base and jogged every sq inch of it and called us (CE) when something wasn't right.. Anyone remember Combat Proud??.....but the area was amazing!

Shipping a vehicle can be a pain. I left the Camaro at home in CT and bought a cheap 800euro VW Golf II beater.. BEST times I've ever had w that little POS.. took it offroading and Camo spray-bombed it.

The people that trypically hate europe are the people that never leave post. Get out and travel in your off time. I sat in the dorms and got drunk a lot, but I also did SOME traveling. -Had a Co2 Kegerator in my room that ALWAYS had a 1/4 barrel of Pilsner in it! Went to Paris, Garmisch (AWESOME!!) to go snowboarding, Amsterdam and saw some of the castles. I regret not traveling more than I did.. Look up Rein-Air.. CHEAP tickets to anywhere in Europe!!

There is a cheap shnitzel place in Bad Durkheim near the castle. I have German blood, so getting to see the "Old Country" that my grandfather spoke of meant a lot to me.

The country side areas outside the villages are peaceful. Try to get in with someone who has a place off post and live there. awesome awesome awesome times!! Talk about drunk stories!

I let TMO handle all of my moving stuff and household goods.. Mail takes about a week to two weeks to and from. you will get COLA to compensate for the price of the Euro. Car parts can be hard to find, sometimes. Parts for my VW were expensive, so I decided to just take care of it while I ran it into the ground. The Drivers license is a MPITFA to get!!! STUDY hard for that and MEMORIZE EVERYTHING! It took me three times to get it..

The culture is COMPLETELY different than the states! I miss Germany a lot and I want to go back for a visit eventually. The food is amazing and the beer is amazing! Got to Oktoberfest and the Wine Fest in Bad Durkheim! Take advantage of travel or you'll regret it after you leave!

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-08-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Being in a shitty unit kinda helps too...
Don't leave your car at home, you'll regret not having something fun to play with on the Autobahn. Right now I've noticed its a lot harder to find a decent used car than it was in late 2006 early 2007 when i was looking last. And whatever you do, do nottttttttttttt buy one of these 1994 BMWs for 4k.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

^ You can thank that cash for clunkers deal for that one.. It raised the price of used cars and took a LOT of decent autos off the road. :\ I was trying to find a 4x4 truck a couple months ago for a decent price, and that wasn't happening. ................ Unless you are writing about Germany, then that's a different story.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-07-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I am writing about Germany ..... But I remember back when you could find nice reasonably priced cars here all the time. Now its totally different.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Same here. I found my 87 VW Golf II for 800euro.. Body was in great shape, so I didn't want to beat on it.. Then the suspension problems reared their heads. Then the wheel cylinder started leaking.. THAT alone would have been 80 euro! Shocks would have been almost a thousand!!! ok... I went to the BX shortly after and bought some camo spray paint and proceeded to beat that car senseless! Got drunk one night and locked my keys in the car, so I kicked the door handle off. And slept in it at the bar once waiting for AADD to show up.

this car was awesome!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2074711

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent 9 years in Germany. Loved every minute of it. Like any duty station its what you make of it. I even liked Baumholder but not as much as I liked the three other places I was stationed, they are all closed now. Good food, great beer and if you make an effort to speak German the people are friendly. They can be kind of standoffish if you just speak English to them. I speak fluent German and hope to live there again someday. There is a ton to do and a lot to see, if you take the time to do it. If you are a barracks rat you will not like it.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Teching In

I wont be a barracks rat, Im married so f the barracks lol! And thanks guys!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

^ You'll love it!! and your wife/family! It'll be nice to have them there with ya..
Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say goodbye to Baumholder, alot of places have gone bye bye, i was one of the last in Friedberg to leave, depending on ur MOS not too many places ull end up
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

and how can so many be so negative about Heff Beer, Brauhouses, DONER KEBABS AND TURKISH PIZZAS!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
and how can so many be so negative about Heff Beer, Brauhouses, DONER KEBABS AND TURKISH PIZZAS!
Kurdish pizza's are better. There was a little place in Baumholder that had the best Kurdish pizza's. The guy that owned it always said "How can I help you my friend." Great guy and great food.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Kurdish pizza's are better. There was a little place in Baumholder that had the best Kurdish pizza's. The guy that owned it always said "How can I help you my friend." Great guy and great food.
haha, ours in Friedberg said the same thing, and always got a free shot of Amaretto with every purchase, great way to start the night, always saying, "my friend", and cant forget the steak truck in Graf. Went to a local town about 10 minutes away, had an Rock bar in a kinda upstairs location when i went and visited a buddy in Baumholder, god that drive from where i was to there was a good several hours, and sucked. I had an 88 S10 my old 1SG left me when he retired
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

looks like im going to Vilseck, Germany. Any expirence around that area?

2ND ACR, they head to Afghanistan Spring 2010, and I arrive there May 2010, looks like ill just be jumping planes pretty much lol!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Root1022
looks like im going to Vilseck, Germany. Any expirence around that area?

2ND ACR, they head to Afghanistan Spring 2010, and I arrive there May 2010, looks like ill just be jumping planes pretty much lol!
im here in vilseck with 2scr, we go in the summer
this is probably one of the worst posts in germany. There's nothing to do out here. Also the stores and restarants are small and shitty. Gotta go to Grafenwoehr to find a decent PX.
Germany as a whole isnt bad, you can have alot of fun out here, just vilseck/graf area is shitty. On the weekends most everyone leaves and heads to Nurnberg. Alot of fun to be had there

Quick Reply: PCSing to Germany