Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Considering joining Army (OCS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Considering joining Army (OCS)

Hello all,

I'm a 25-year old college graduate with a BA in History / minor in Sociology. I've considered going military all my life, but started seriously considering it after college (yeah, dumb, since Uncle Sam would have paid my tuition). What has mainly stopped me from signing up was having a girlfriend for nearly 10 years (since I was 16). I always assumed that I'd marry this girl and start a family and that pretty much kept me here. Unfortunately, we ended things a couple of weeks ago. I've also been laid off from my job and it's been pretty hard finding another one. Things are looking pretty free for me in the near future, so I'm reconsidering one of my personal dreams of joining the Army. Both of my grandfathers served, with one being an Army infantryman in WW2 and the other serving in Korea as an Army infantryman, and I grew up hearing Army stories from them. OCS and Army infantry would be the goal for me, but if I washed out of OCS then I would still enlist without a doubt with the goal of becoming an Army infantryman.

Now, here are the problems.

Number one, I blew out my knee late last year and just had reconstructive surgery. It's not possible for me to join right now, obviously, since I'm still rehabbing and can't run or do much of anything. I've been assured by my surgeon and physical therapist that I'll return to my previous level of physical activity (I was a regular runner and trained Brazilian jiu jitsu). Do you guys think this will possibly jeopardize my chances of being recruited and being able to graduate from OCS?

Problem two: I also have an arrest record, I was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in college when I was 19. The charge was expunged, so it won't show up on any background checks for jobs, but I would expect that I would be straight up with it and tell my recruiter about it right away rather than try and hide it. It was the biggest mistake of my life, and I definitely regret it. I haven't used marijuana or done any kinds of drugs since that time in college, and I rarely even drink anymore.

Do you guys think that these will be legitimate problems if I choose to sign up? Also, any of you guys that have gone to OCS: Do you have any pointers should I choose to go? One of my friends from here went through BCT earlier in the year and just finished up OCS a couple of weeks ago, so I'm sure I'm going to be asking him plenty of questions as well. I'm planning on visiting the recruiting office in Morristown, NJ when I'm back to the condition that I was in prior to hurting my knee (5'9", 190 lbs, running 3 miles three or four times per week, training BJJ 2-3 times per week).

I have a basic understanding of how the process goes, as far as speaking with a recruiter, MEPS, the interrogation for OCS acceptance. But it's a very, very basic understanding. I only know what I've read on the internet.

Thanks to any advice you guys can provide.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jeez, didn't realize that was a book when I was writing it. Sorry fellas.

Here's a cliff notes version:

- 25-year old college graduate with a Bachelors in History
- Was in great shape (runner, martial arts) until blowing out my knee
- Have a drug arrest from college that was expunged
- The aim is Army Infantry, hopefully OCS

Will the knee injury and drug arrest be a problem if I do decide to join? Also, please offer any advice you can.

Thank you guys.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you already taken the ASVAB or are you still just in the info gathering stages?

Edit: Never mind, just saw that you haven't talked to a recruiter yet. As far as I know, you will probably need a waiver for your knee once it's fully rehabbed but regarding the drug conviction (they will see it in your background check even if it was expunged), I'll defer to one of the guys that has done recruiting prior or currently as they will have more insight on the severity of that as it affects OCS.

Last edited by SonicBoom; 06-25-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah definitely still in the info gathering stages. I can't even run yet and can't walk comfortably for more than a half of a mile, I want to be back in shape before I start making moves.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:37 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

My brother tried joining but his possession charge held him up until he got his record expunged. Apparently, that did the trick to getting signed up (which he ironically declined to do), however, if your MOS requires a higher security clearance, it may come up as an issue.

Your best bet is to go get your info straight from the horse's mouth. Talk to a recruiter and see where you are now, and where you need to be to get signed up. With the record expunged and your knee healed, I'm sure you will be able to make it in.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Will do. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no direct experience with the Army OCS. But I went to OTS (the air force version of OCS. [Officer Candidate School vs Officer Training School]

The ASVAB is for enlisted, not for officers. You will have to take a different test similar to the Air Force's AFOQT (Air Force Officer Qualification Test).

I will say that your criminal background will be a big deciding factor. It may hold you back from being an officer all together no matter what job you are looking for. As mentioned before, if you do get an officer job, it may limit you on which one you can get due to the lower security clearance you will probably have.

On the plus side, the Army would probably be the easiest branch to go into, especially as an officer right now, as they are hurting for officers big time. One other thing to consider, might be a warrant officer vs a commissioned officer. A commissioned officer out ranks the warrant officer (as the warrent officer is in between a commissioned officer and enlisted), and does take a 4 year degree and is typically a little more difficult to get into than a warrant officer. Now the biggest difference between the two will be what jobs they offer, as a warrant officer you can fly helo's. In either event, you will be an officer, and be put in charge of troops, operations, or possibly missions all together.

The Army's life is a tough one (which is one of the leading reasons so many get out ASAP and they are hurting for positions), and you may find life as a Navy or Air Force, or even in some cases a Marine officer easier than the life in the Army. But then again, the other branch's may be more difficult to get into.

This is without a doubt the single most biggest decision that may ever be brought upon you, so make sure you think about it long and hard before you make any decisions, as this is life changing.

If you really decide to go for it, first you have my thanks for your courage and detication to devote your life to defending this great nation and joining my side as a brother in arms. 2nd, you really should not limit your career by just choosing the Army. Who knows, you may be also accepted by other branch's doing something that is more along the lines of something you actually want to do, vs something you would just "take" to get a job.

A recuruiter will help you with the specifics like getting tests taken, and letting you know how things look specifically for you given your background and record, so you will at some point need to talk with one. But again, talk to them on multiple branch's as well to give yourself a greater opportunity to not only get in, but to perhaps enjoy a better career.

Not sure if the Army is the same way as the Air Force in its officer selection process, but you may have to go before a board, and the board chooses its officer candidates out of all its applications, then they decide who they want, and for what.

FWIW, I was enlisted before I was an officer. It was a great experience to have one before the other. But in the end, I wouldn't trade leading, and being an officer for anything.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to help you with.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned

You wont make it, you are a joke.

Last edited by Texas Heat; 07-29-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texas Heat
Vendetta you are an *******, you were built for the army lol. Hope to see you in the ranks dude!
I agree with Sgt. shitbreak over here.

The knee shouldn't be a problem after you get it waived and fully rehabilitated, however, the drug charge could be a problem. Chances are, you'll have to get some paperwork from that PD and/or court but the recruiters will be able to tell you exactly what you will need to do and since most know at least somebody from the courts will be able to do it for you.

edit- I didn't think about it but the knee could pose a problem with being an 11B.

It would definitely be interesting to run into you somewhere!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Go Air Force you get treated alot better, have better living conditions, and have to do less retarded bs. im glad to be getting out of the army here in a few weeks, the people i know in the air force are much happier, I have 2 buddies in the infantry 1 in the 82nd AA and the other @ Benning with 3rd ID they hate it most of the time. if i could re do it i would go Air Force.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He did say he wanted infantry though. Not much of an infantry in the AF. Can always go Spec Ops though.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Teching In

i doubt he'll get anything AF wise with that knee issue.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Just thought I would throw my .02 in here. I personally would never want to be an officer. Especially in my job. Way to much staff work and not enough time down in the dirt. You also have to deal alot more with the political crap in the army. Also if you plan on making it a career than the amount of staff time vs time actually leading troops is not that great. The money is better for sure but money isnt everything. Just something to think about.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
i doubt he'll get anything AF wise with that knee issue.
More than likely not since the USAF suspended OCS classes for a couple goes. We are super over manned right now.

But if you can find a critically (undermanned) AFSC in the USAF...electrical engineering has been down for a while.

Best of luck! I think the Army is a good fit for you. Or maybe a Hooah section of the USAF...like AFSOC. CRO or STO if you are super fit...which sounding by your knee it might not work out. Those guys are intense.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Launching!

I don't really know the officer route but I do know you will have to go to basic as an officer candidate or something like that. I know it would be pretty hard to get a security clearance with what you did in the past. Hopefully going officer and wanting to select infantry as your branch you would have no problem. I would wait probably at least a few months after you have been cleared to run and all that other stuff. Doctors say it should be like it was before the injury but there is no real way of telling. Wait a few months then get up to speed with it. I'd talk to a recruiter now and just let them know your situation and get all the info of what you can and can't do and when the time comes then go for it. The first things I'd mention to them are your goals , your incident in the past and when they start looking up what you can and can't do just tell them you are waiting such and such time period until your knee heals up. If you go in there and tell them about your knee first they might not be as inclined to help you. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's my 2 cents. OCS is great if you plan on making the military a career. Better pay, easier job in the long run. But if you just want to do 4 years and experience the best of it, then go enlisted. You get to do all of the dirty work cause its more hands on.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anything and almost everything can be waived in the Marines..

if I were to do it all over again I'd go USAF all the way..

also.. as for my advice.. if you do make officer and you turn into a douchebag and think your better than enlisted I hope some Pvt comes up and **** slaps you across the face.. I hate officers who think they are tough **** especially when they are right out of training... best of luck
Old 07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

if u don't like getting dirty then go OCS. if you wanna get hands on and actually be respected by the ones that fall under your command then go enlisted work your way threw the ranks and then switch over. My CO/XO and another LT in my unit were all prior NCOs who changed over to the dark side. But to me i respect them more due to them actually making decisions knowing what it is going to involve to get the job done. The 1 LT that we have that wasn't enlisted before his commission is in a lack of better words a ******* retard. i wouldn't trust him working on my big wheel. just my 2 cents tho
Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the information, everyone. Hearing from those currently serving (and those who've served in the past) is invaluable to my decision-making process.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 AM
On The Tree

Vendetta; Are you prepared to spend a year of your life away from friends and family overseas? If not, I would strongly recommend you reconsider the Army. If you go in for a four year committment, plan on spending two of those years deployed.

Quick Reply: Considering joining Army (OCS)