Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF new PT testing, who else has a squadron full of fatties?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by majeskyb
I've got to admit, not being in the regular Air Force for a while, I'm embarrassed to see fellow service members when I'm with my team mates that I work with. Our unit PTs five times a week, and our commander has told us, unless we have more pressing matters at work, we're authorized six hours a day to pt. We have a 12-mile ruck march standard, and for fun he had my team join him completing the central Florida Ragnar (202 mile relay). So on average, my team PTs 9-10 times a week. Usually 4-6 miles in the morning, and an hour of weight lifting at lunch. So, yeah, I find it sad to see people in the military that can't even pass a basic test of physical fitness, especially when they know what the standard is well before they have to be tested. As a side note, I've taken the PT tests from all the branches- ran a 13:15 for the two mile at airborne school (they cut you off when you meet the minimum push-ups and sit-ups), 284 on the Marine CFT not trying, scored a 97.9 on the AFPT test not trying, and the last time I ran a 5k, my time was 20:50. I didn't try on my last pt test because they told us the day before and it was the day before Christmas leave, so I was a little annoyed at the coordinator. Hope I didn't **** anyone off too bad, but that's honestly how I feel. Whoever I supervise when I go back to the regular Air Force is really going to hate me
Our commanders weren't so understanding. You did it on your own time after a 9-12 hour shift depending on how work went.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while for me, but isn't it required in the Air Force that unit PT is conducted three times a week, with 90 minutes a day being allowed to service members, mission allowing? When your commander says you have to PT on your own, that they don't have time during duty hours, they can't expect much.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that the AF would kick people out after 2 PT failures. Peopl on my base are getting 4 failures before a separtion package is sent. These people knew waaaaay in advance that the AF would be more tough and strict on PT.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i never get PT time during work. just a simple fact when you work in a Ops or Mx field. those Mission Support *** munches should have no excuse to fail. i cant count how many times i try to go by the MPF, Med, Comm, or Finance and see a sign that say "closed for training" or the sign posting their "normal duty hours" they are still closed during.

working in a Ops field that requires me to change shifts every 1 or 2 weeks, it gets very difficult to adjust a work out schedule to my new sleep hours. my job is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. sometimes i am on call, sometime i am not. but i love my job i am doing, so i put up with the BS. but some of the BS (not PT and not Deployments) is getting to much to handle IMO.

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I thought that the AF would kick people out after 2 PT failures. Peopl on my base are getting 4 failures before a separtion package is sent. These people knew waaaaay in advance that the AF would be more tough and strict on PT.
its really not much different if you think about it. they doubled the amount of test you take. so they doubled the amount of failures you can have. which that logic is probably very wrong, but it work in my mind, haha.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i never get PT time during work. just a simple fact when you work in a Ops or Mx field. those Mission Support *** munches should have no excuse to fail. i cant count how many times i try to go by the MPF, Med, Comm, or Finance and see a sign that say "closed for training" or the sign posting their "normal duty hours" they are still closed during.

working in a Ops field that requires me to change shifts every 1 or 2 weeks, it gets very difficult to adjust a work out schedule to my new sleep hours. my job is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. sometimes i am on call, sometime i am not. but i love my job i am doing, so i put up with the BS. but some of the BS (not PT and not Deployments) is getting to much to handle IMO.

its really not much different if you think about it. they doubled the amount of test you take. so they doubled the amount of failures you can have. which that logic is probably very wrong, but it work in my mind, haha.

Yeah man no doubt. I think it is pointless to also have people who dont score a 90 only test 1x a year. Because that is the same thing we have been doing all along.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Yeah man no doubt. I think it is pointless to also have people who dont score a 90 only test 1x a year. Because that is the same thing we have been doing all along.
if you don't get a 90 you test twice right? my PTL tried to make me test twice a year with a 95.6, ******* retard.

Btw ColeGraham, not everybody from mission support does that ****, I'm CE and our work is not that much but we do PT on our own time, finance, MPF, and the med group are a different breed...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gorge
if you don't get a 90 you test twice right? my PTL tried to make me test twice a year with a 95.6, ******* retard.

Btw ColeGraham, not everybody from mission support does that ****, I'm CE and our work is not that much but we do PT on our own time, finance, MPF, and the med group are a different breed...

My bad..typo!! Yeah if you score less than a 90 you must take the PT test twice. If you get a 90 or above overall score you get to take it 1 year. Which goes back to what most people do. Gain weight, bad diet, and then start cutting down and getting ready for PT 2 months away. I think they should just have everybody do a PT test 2x a year...

We had a female get a overall score 90+.. But because she didnt get the minimum pushups she failed!! WTF!! A goddamn 90 it shouldnt matter if you missed anything. A damn 90 is excellent. That should be automatic passing regardless if you didnt the minimums or not.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Teching In

42 yrs old, max the pushups & situps everytime, do a 13:00 run, the 5'11" 190 lbs 36in waist keeps me in the low 80s. I out Pushup/situp almost my entire 40 person flight. The pt test is about embracing an active/healthy lifestyle, if I can't pass STFU and work on it...eating 8 burger king dbl whoppers a week ain't helping ya either.
The chair force deploys its *** off now...can't take a 2week course and be prepared for 80lbs of battle rattle, outside the wire ops, and kajillion degree temps.

I wish pt and the test was a joke for me...but it isn't...so I STFU hit the gym, and make a few lifestyle changes.

All you in here....Thank-you for your service.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why i left CE, Cops, and Fire off that list...haha...you guys do work differently then the others listed. i know plenty of CE Troops, and i have to call them at 2 am when we think it might snow so they can get ready to clear the roads on base. and in CE, you go Fire, which they do their own thing most of the time. and EOD, which nothing can be said about the guys that disarm bombs for a living. every EOD guy i have ever met has been a little nuts, haha.

but after all, the AF runs 8 to 4, right?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Teching In

those EOD guys scare the bejesus outta me.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
those EOD guys scare the bejesus outta me.
Here in DM, every Friday they go for a full battle rattle 5 mile hike on the mountain. not fun, not for me... got to be a lil to like that
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by majeskyb
I've got to admit, not being in the regular Air Force for a while, I'm embarrassed to see fellow service members when I'm with my team mates that I work with. Our unit PTs five times a week, and our commander has told us, unless we have more pressing matters at work, we're authorized six hours a day to pt. We have a 12-mile ruck march standard, and for fun he had my team join him completing the central Florida Ragnar (202 mile relay). So on average, my team PTs 9-10 times a week. Usually 4-6 miles in the morning, and an hour of weight lifting at lunch. So, yeah, I find it sad to see people in the military that can't even pass a basic test of physical fitness, especially when they know what the standard is well before they have to be tested. As a side note, I've taken the PT tests from all the branches- ran a 13:15 for the two mile at airborne school (they cut you off when you meet the minimum push-ups and sit-ups), 284 on the Marine CFT not trying, scored a 97.9 on the AFPT test not trying, and the last time I ran a 5k, my time was 20:50. I didn't try on my last pt test because they told us the day before and it was the day before Christmas leave, so I was a little annoyed at the coordinator. Hope I didn't **** anyone off too bad, but that's honestly how I feel. Whoever I supervise when I go back to the regular Air Force is really going to hate me
What did you think about the CFT? I really like it as a change of pace to the PFT. We alternate them so every six months my training shifts to what test I am preparing for = a change of pace ... i like it....
Old 02-01-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StoleIt
And to be fair, some of the hottest chick's I have seen in the military were Army officers. I think the USAF has the hottest enlisted force though. Marine Corps chicks are scary...
I'm going to have to agree with you on the Marine Corp chicks scary part, if the chick can pack more chew in her lip than you......yikes

Here in DM, every Friday they go for a full battle rattle 5 mile hike on the mountain. not fun, not for me... got to be a lil to like that
I really wanted EOD coming in!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PT system in the military is there to ensure the members are combat ready correct? If they want to test this then the tests should be combat related. I have been in 3 different locations while I was in the Air Force where we were actually under fire and getting shot at and let me tell you not once did I have to run 1.5 miles, do sits ups or get down and do any pushups. A true test would be to have everybody throw a 160 lbs bag of weights over their shoulders like the fireman carry and make you sprint 100 yards in a certain time or something, this would be a accurate depiction of a combat situation. When I was in there were tons of these little ******* with their 27 in waists that weigh 155 lbs soaking wet and sure they score 98's on their PT test but are you going to trust them to be able to carry your *** out of combat if you get injured? I think not, you are going to want some big ****** that can actually pick you up and get you out of harms way. While I do believe that the service needs some sort of a test to monitor fitness this new one is not it, its not accurate at all of a combat scenario or anything you will ever see in a combat situation.

Pefect example of what I am talking about. I deployed to Iraq last January and before I could deploy I had to attend a refresher Combat skills course where you play war games and do low crawling and high crawling and all that fun stuff. There were 2 women that were deploying with us from our squadron and at the time the PT tests were not being accomplished at the HAWC yet but still in our squadron. During the combat skills course one thing that we had to do was low crawl, high crawl and low crawl with our M16. The distance to do each of these was probably 30 yards or so each which is not much at all and can be done in no time if you know what you are doing. Well these 2 girls who I know both scored over 90's on their PT tests because I was friends with the Squadron PTL were unable to high crawl or low crawl more than 10 yards. They both hit 10 yards and just layed there like ******* dead fish, yelling how they couldn't do it and it was too hard and they were tired meanwhile me with my whopping 79 score on the PT test because I have a 38 in waist because I am 6'4" finished all 3 crawls before they were even able to go 30 ******* yards doing the high crawl. BULLSHIT!!! 90's on their PT tests and they couldn't high crawl 30 yards!!

Last edited by tording99Z28; 02-01-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

Jesus, and I thought the Navy PT tests were a joke. We have a lot of fatties in my unit and I can't stand it. IMO the worst thing the Navy ever did was allowing people to exchange the run for riding a stationary bike. Lots of lazys do that because they can't run. Our minimums are set up by age, and there are alot more of them in the Navy, 18-24 is my age range (24). Been training for buds for the 6 months and got an outstanding high score on my last pt test. 104 push ups, 108 situps, 1.5 in 8:22. and I'm 6'2'' 200lbs and have long arms also.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by samuel642000
Jesus, and I thought the Navy PT tests were a joke. We have a lot of fatties in my unit and I can't stand it. IMO the worst thing the Navy ever did was allowing people to exchange the run for riding a stationary bike. Lots of lazys do that because they can't run. Our minimums are set up by age, and there are alot more of them in the Navy, 18-24 is my age range (24). Been training for buds for the 6 months and got an outstanding high score on my last pt test. 104 push ups, 108 situps, 1.5 in 8:22. and I'm 6'2'' 200lbs and have long arms also.
You know there are people who have serious back problems and are phycially incapable of running long distances because of it? Yes some people do it because they are lazy, others have no choice. Just sayin.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by samuel642000
Damn impressive numbers man. But y'all get 2 minutes for your P/U's and S/U's don't you? Very good run time though, **** beats my best by easily a minute (9:34). And yeah, I'm 6' and 190 with monkey arms as well. Deff. makes push-up interesting with long *** arms. My chest usually hits the ground at the same time I'm breaking 90*.
Tate
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Whats killing people is failing one part fails the whole thing. I know its not hard for most but there are a few people out there that can't do setups or pushups to save their life. My medical squadron is one of them and from last count we have 30% failing now compared to 6 from the old test. Why its the pushups or setups. I got a 95 so im not concerned but I have a troop that couldn't do 25 plus setups his composite score was a 79 but he still failed.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Reject
I'm going to have to agree with you on the Marine Corp chicks scary part, if the chick can pack more chew in her lip than you......yikes
I really wanted EOD coming in!

I think every branch has their share of scary chicks. With only 202,000 Marines ours are just more noticeable...ha ha, but I have definitely seen plenty of HOT female Marines.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

One of the hottest chicks I've seen in uniform was a Marine officer.

Quick Reply: AF new PT testing, who else has a squadron full of fatties?