Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Muscle car drivers in Korea, was it worth shipping your car over?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muscle car drivers in Korea, was it worth shipping your car over?

I just added South Korea at the top of my locations preference list just because Seoul is much more sophisticated than many of the Army towns in the U.S., but I've read that it's not worth owning a nice car there since the roadways are so small and that Koreans are accident prone.

Is this true? If so, then can I simply use public transportation in the city, but drive on country roads (if any) for cruising? If I do get South Korea, then I will be stationed in Yongsan. Is everything within walking distance in that base?

Thank you in advance for the info.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't take a muscle car over there... Hellllll noooooooooooooooooooooo! I didn't even own a car while there.. Used taxi's or walked.. I was down south in Taegu..
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

I seen maybe one guy who had it over there. It def got some attention big time. So it may be worth it to you to be the only guy in the city with a fbody or Goat. I seen a guy with 03 cobra doing a burnout and the korean world stopped turning to watch it. car is gonna get some wear and tear don't expect to bring it back pristine.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

i was in Seoul at Yongsan for three years. Definitely wouldn't take it. Traffic is horrible and their driving skills are almost non existent. you can buy a beater for less than $1k and drive it your whole tour then sell it to another joe for about the same when you leave.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

With ggr12, I was there for a year, and I've seen the way everybody drives there. Sure there aren't any muscle cars there, but theres probably a reason why. If you need something, you'll be ordering it and waiting for some time to get that part. The drivers, taxis and everybody else, will not care what you have. I was driving a 5 ton and at a red light, somebody turned into me. Then tried to blame me, I guess the louder you yell over there, teh more cahnces you have of winning the arguement. The problem is that if they see your car, almost obviously you're american, which means money Have fun in whatever you decide.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Korea.....muscle car.......Korea........muscle car. The answer just kinda pops out at you don't it?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

I was also at Yongsan for a year. Do not take nice cars to Korea. They will cut infront of you knowing you WILL stop so you dont hurt your nice car, mechanically your on your own for repairing and parts, traffic was worse than when i was in Cali and even worse then here in VA near DC. Just dont do it.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

i was there from Feb 09-Feb 10 and unless you're an e7 or above you're not taking a car anyways... if you are an e7 or above then i wouldn't take it!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No if you can have a car over there just buy one over there. You can find huniday and other car for super cheap overt there. I always just took the train. It's like 3000won to go pretty much any were. 3000 is 3 dollars btw.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Teching In

+50 .. don't bring the car!! I have a buddy who got a cheap beater car when he got there.. he tore it up while he was there and left it for the next guy replacing him.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

If you don't value the car in the least bit or you have lots of money then bring it. I'm on my second tour in Korea, my first was at Yongsan. There are over 11,000,000 people living in Seoul. That's double the population of most states. There are no country roads in Seoul. Bumper to bumper anywhere you go. The roads are confusing as hell and if you get lost in Seoul, you're lost forever. You wouldn't even get 3/8th's into the throttle. Just sit there and burn gas, which isn't cheap by the way. Most Koreans don't even own cars. The subway, bus, rail, and taxi system is very efficient. Whether you're on post or off you will have no problem getting around. And good luck finding parts or anything maintenance wise that you'll want to use on it. I don't know what your status or rank is but you may need an exception to policy to even be able to drive which in some cases could take 6 mos. It's just not worth it and about one of the dumber things you can do. You won't be cool for having it here, only look like a retard for having a car you can't drive. Just think of it like a deployment. Do the year and go home.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM

North Korea is better.

Quick Reply: Muscle car drivers in Korea, was it worth shipping your car over?