Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

need suggestions fellow/former OEF/ISAF peeps

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need suggestions fellow/former OEF/ISAF peeps

I really need to find a cheap(er) solution to calling home or getting calls from home. I have a local cell phone (Roshan), that has free incoming calls (outgoing to the US is $1/min!). I've been trying to find a cheap way for my wife to call me, but the lowest rate I've found is about $0.17/min for a calling card from a shady sounding company I've never heard of.
And i would just use Skype, but the internet we buy, is so slow, it's basically useless. Skype calls are impossible 99% of the time.
Anyone know any companies with packages to call Afghanistan, or prepaid minutes in bulk, or anything that would help?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpmjason
I really need to find a cheap(er) solution to calling home or getting calls from home. I have a local cell phone (Roshan), that has free incoming calls (outgoing to the US is $1/min!). I've been trying to find a cheap way for my wife to call me, but the lowest rate I've found is about $0.17/min for a calling card from a shady sounding company I've never heard of.
And i would just use Skype, but the internet we buy, is so slow, it's basically useless. Skype calls are impossible 99% of the time.
Anyone know any companies with packages to call Afghanistan, or prepaid minutes in bulk, or anything that would help?
I had the same situation in Uruzgan last deployment and instead of Skype I used MSN IM and Yahoo IM. Even with the slow internet it worked for calls and sometimes even video. I never messed with the ROSHAN stuff though.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IM, Facebook, and land lines when they were available...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about like Sat phones? i dont know what they run, or if they need minutes though....
Old 12-17-2010, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

im in afghan right now too. i try to use skype but it sucks with the internet. usually i use facebook and when i stop into BAF i use the phone trailers at warrior or by the main PX.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Roshan calls are not 1 dollar a minute back to the states, less than that, at least at KAF.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Teching In

A sat phone would be ridiculously expensive...even Iridiums. Your best bet is to use what's available...but try not to use the local cell phone provider for international calls; chances are they don't have a deal with US phone companies for cheaper long distance rates.

Try something like Skype or another VOIP service.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know if its possible for you to do but what we do on an ODA is buy cell phones off the local market and buy bulk packages of prepaid phone cards. Your terps can probably hook you up if you need a good connection you can trust to get stuff on the local market. Just make sure they arent marking up any of the phones or cards. And dont talk about anything that could be an opsec violation cause you never know who might be listening

And maybe if you get in buddy buddy with your commo section they will let you get in a few minutes on a Sat phone...but like someone said, that can get a little expensive and your unit may not appreciate that too much.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have spaware access? thats what ive used my past 3 deployments

Quick Reply: need suggestions fellow/former OEF/ISAF peeps