Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

So I'm going to Baghdad

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So I'm going to Baghdad

Well, I had an overnight decision last week to decide if I wanted to go. I'm originally bucketed to deploy Dec 2011, but a SSgt who is seperating in Apr was supposed to deploy in July, but he can't go. My flight commander called us and asked two other Airmen and I if we wanted to go in July to Baghdad, should be Baghdad Internation or Sather AB. I pretty much said sign me up right there.

I'm Airfield Management in the AF. I know they are shutting a lot of bases of there down, so I've been told I'll be doing a lot of work closing that base down. But anyways, I've never deployed yet. I'm still an E-3, but I should be sewing on E-4 while I'm over there. I'm looking forward to getting back and slapping some goodies on the WS6!

Figured I'd share and hear some input of anyone ever been there.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have a nice payed vacation. i'de concentrate on picking up E-4 in your down time. i'm in the same boat you are just usmc and going to afghanistan, but i'll have plenty of down time in country so it's mostly all going to getting my score up so i can pick up E-4.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Hate to burst your bubble, but our E-4 is given after time, its a TIS/TIG kinda deal. Just don't screw up and you got E-4. . E-5 and above gets a little tricky though. We can get it 6 months early for stellar performance all around though.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Hate to burst your bubble, but our E-4 is given after time, its a TIS/TIG kinda deal. Just don't screw up and you got E-4. . E-5 and above gets a little tricky though. We can get it 6 months early for stellar performance all around though.
true that...but making E5 has gotten a little easier too. dont screw up, and test well.

make me feel a little old that i put on E4 in 2006 (E5 in 09).
Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Don't know where you will be stationed but BIAP is pretty neat to see in person. I have made many trips up, down and around Antenna Hill. Let me know if the single small deer is still on it when you get out there. I was there from '05 to '07 as a contractor and saw much of Southern Iraq up to Baghdad by convoys or heli. I heard that the defense systems that were installed around the main Stryker and other joined camps were awesome but not until after I left. I left when they were still building the large PX just north of Antenna Hill. The country itself should me much calmer than back then but it is still freaking hot! You are picking the right time of year to go to let your body get adjusted to the summer temps. Baghdad wasn't as bad as Southern Iraq which got freaking brutal. I worked at mostly Embassies so most of the things that you see will be very different from what I saw. I had locals that worked for me on a daily basis.

Good luck and God speed!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cha-ching!!$$$. It won't be alot work per say but enough. I don't know what your cycle would be, 4 month or 6 month? Either way stay outta trouble and enjoy being in the sandbox.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

everything is closing down over here. i am here now and they are starting to pull everything out of here. i am on QRF and we do 2 missions a week thats how slow everything is. the only thing that is left to do out here is convoy security and that **** is boring. nothing is happening at this place its about to be open to the public of iraq. and yes the phalynx system saves us all the time but it is hardly ever used again cause nothing goes on. it is nice to not have to worry but it is boring as hell
Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 AM
TECH Junkie

I should be sent to Baghdad International Airport.. If not than Sather AB.. Should be easy, I hope. Should be closin everything up.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

im on my way outta baghdad in a few!! in over here at south victory, they closed one dfac a few months ago but with everyone leaving its not as bad as it was when they closed it down. that and the food there has gone to **** since i fist got here.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun sucka!!! It's gay as hell over there nowadays....
Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe there isn't **** going on where you are... we're still getting EFP's 3-4 times a week, been motared twice since we got here a couple months ago, missions every day, and QRF every other week (QRF is iffy on how busy you are or are not going to be)

Originally Posted by krislem1990
everything is closing down over here. i am here now and they are starting to pull everything out of here. i am on QRF and we do 2 missions a week thats how slow everything is. the only thing that is left to do out here is convoy security and that **** is boring. nothing is happening at this place its about to be open to the public of iraq. and yes the phalynx system saves us all the time but it is hardly ever used again cause nothing goes on. it is nice to not have to worry but it is boring as hell
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I should be sent to Baghdad International Airport.. If not than Sather AB.. Should be easy, I hope. Should be closin everything up.

Did you end up going over yet?

For the past year+ I was the photographer here at Fort Benning for LTG Ferriter (who as of last week is now the DCG A&T, USF-I).
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

I'm hoping to head back for 2 years for work. I had some awesome times over there never felt so alive. Hate the heat and how bad those people smell but, I'll never forget it. Going over again to train more IA (Iraqi Army) on some vehicles we sold them. Would all be closure to me after working with the IA in 06. I need to see the end. OP I wish you the best.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

good luck. they keep calling the north the "hotbed" of activity. i dont know where they are at but it sure isnt at COB spiecher
Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't leave until July. But I'm looking forward to going.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Teching In

You are going to be bored as hell. I left Sather in August 10'. Dont mess with the Ugi's and try to get over to Saddams swimming pool over on Victory or Liberty at least once.
The DFAC on Sather was pretty good compared to others and even by AF standards wasnt bad. Baskins Robbins every day! Green Beans coffee ftmfw!
You may get the odd incoming rocket or mortar every once in a while but nothing ever seems to happen there. Its like groundhog day.

Quick Reply: So I'm going to Baghdad