TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sir sandwich will get you some time on the quarterdeck

Oh and my Plt Commander in ITB was one of the DIs in Ears Open Eyeballs Click
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
Thank you for a great advice there!!! I will try to push for that on wednesday. Even though im pretty motivated, i still feel very pressured on joining by my rectuiters. They are pretty much telling me this " if you dont sign on wednesday, we will not be able to extend the contract any longer"... something along those lines. Is there anything i should watch out for in that fine print, sir?
There is no "fine print" to watch out for. There is a Statement of Understanding that you initial and sign for your job, there are no gimmicks there, just read it. The reason you may feel pressured and the reason they are telling you to hurry is that there are only X number of reserve jobs available. Once they are gone they are gone until next year. Active duty is a different story. Those programs are a dime a dozen. Who is your recruiter?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

First off, STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING RIGHT NOW.

I hope you got a high ASVAB score...cuz if you did, excluding those jobs with certain physical requirements (I'm talking eyesight/hearing/color vision, not being out of shape), you should be able to go after whatever job you want. Go for something a bit more than Motor T. Look for whatever can land you a better job opportunity if you decide to get out; like, say, signals intelligence or crypto-linguist (also within the community). Command and control is another good one. Don't get caught in the whole Motor T/Logistics/Admin/Supply route...good on those guys and what they do, but it only supports, not directly interacts with combat operations. And while a lot of those guys have seen combat, it's not their primary job (if I hear one rifleman quote, I'm going to flip). A motor T operator isn't an 0311, as much as they might like to think so, and any 03 will tell them so.

That rant being said, you can sign up with a specific MOS FIELD on your contract, and when you sign the dotted line, it has to be for that specific field. Now the specialty won't necessarily be in your hands. Usually it's not. For specific high-end MOSes (such as Intel), you will usually have your pick of the specialty, but that's not guaranteed.
Don't think that whatever job you want is going to sound great, it usually isn't the case. Transitioning from military to civilian can usually lead to the fact that a lot of your experience in the military has nothing to do with a civilian job (which is why you'll see a lot of guys come back in), so it's important to be going to a MOS that you'll be gaining experience from that people in the civilian sector can use. A security clearance can really help out with this.

I hope I'm not too late sending this info out...

Oh yeah, one more thing...if you're given the chance to choose a MOS speciality, make sure you get councilled on what is used and what isn't. There are MOSes out there which aren't used, and if they are, only in specific places in very small numbers. Pick something where you'll have several opportunities to do the job you were trained in. I have experience in this; my primary MOS isn't used that much, so I pretty much cross trained in a couple other MOSes in my field to be of value to the community. It really sucks when you've got to start from scratch once you've already hit the fleet.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 05-01-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: extra advice
Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jarheadtex
There is no "fine print" to watch out for. There is a Statement of Understanding that you initial and sign for your job, there are no gimmicks there, just read it. The reason you may feel pressured and the reason they are telling you to hurry is that there are only X number of reserve jobs available. Once they are gone they are gone until next year. Active duty is a different story. Those programs are a dime a dozen. Who is your recruiter?
Sounds good. Recruiter is Sgt. Rojas
Old 05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Sounds good. Recruiter is Sgt. Rojas
No... there is fine print to look at. Once you're in the Marines, you're in the Marines. The UCMJ now applies to your life. With that comes your rank; with a PVT or PFC, they can place you wherever they want, especially if you're signing an open contract, and there's nothing you can do about it. This isn't a reenlistment; once you're at that point, you have options (though not really THAT much...) The reason why they're pressuring you is because they (your recruiter) have quotas to fill as well. Not only that, but programs for active duty aren't a dime a dozen, but there are several slots and MOSes that need to be filled over others. Its always best to wait out for what you want rather than go in earlier for a (lamer, and likely bad) another MOS. This is your life, and your career, not theirs. Don't feel pressured, and don't be pressured. You're only theirs once you've signed the dotted line. Get the job you want.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Thats some pretty good advice from Dreadnought. Some people love being in intel and others don't but there are several different jobs within the community and your TS lasts 5 years before you'd have to be reinvestigated. If you get out with your clearance it saves your future employer who requires one alot of money and hassle vs hiring someone with out one if that is the career path you want to go.

I thought on paper at meps my job sounded awesome but my job is mainly building power point slides and briefing :/
Old 05-02-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

As of this morning, the recruiter called me today and it seems that i will get that 3521 position upon signing, they are just arranging the date for me to go to basic
Old 05-02-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dreadnought
No... there is fine print to look at. Once you're in the Marines, you're in the Marines. The UCMJ now applies to your life. With that comes your rank; with a PVT or PFC, they can place you wherever they want, especially if you're signing an open contract, and there's nothing you can do about it. This isn't a reenlistment; once you're at that point, you have options (though not really THAT much...) The reason why they're pressuring you is because they (your recruiter) have quotas to fill as well. Not only that, but programs for active duty aren't a dime a dozen, but there are several slots and MOSes that need to be filled over others. Its always best to wait out for what you want rather than go in earlier for a (lamer, and likely bad) another MOS. This is your life, and your career, not theirs. Don't feel pressured, and don't be pressured. You're only theirs once you've signed the dotted line. Get the job you want.
When did you earn the title Marine? You sound like you know something about recruiting other than being recruited yourself.....you obviously don't. What do I have to gain by giving this kid bad advice. I am a Marine on recruiting duty now..... I am in Texas. He is in Cali I have nothing to gain. There is no fine print!! Every job has a Statement of Understanding!! If you read it and dont like what it says, dont ******* sign it!!
Wow you just revealed the secret to the world ....recruiters have quotas..... they are one per month currently which means we are turning people away. The wait to go to recruit training for active duty is almost a year, we are really hurting for applicants...
Active duty programs ARE a dime a dozen, reserves are not. The only way you get a program you dont want is if you sign an open contract...and guess what........there are no open contracts in the Reserves.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so here is a little update... Im a little pissed off but please dont flame me...

SO today was supposed to be the BIG day for me... My recruiter, his boss and me agreed upon 3531 position upon signing. I was qualified for that position and i had it "locked in" on paper. Even if i didnt get my 3521 position in the future i would have still be happy with 3531 as a reserve.

So today i was pretty excited about joining the USMC... Got picked up today at 4am to go to meps for swear in and sign the contract....

After 8 hours of bulshit lines and waiting around, i finally talk to my career counselor and here what he tells me... "What job are you locked in at?" Me: "3531 sir". He replies, "ummmm, idk where you are getting it from, but your recruiter's boss put you in some artillery support position", gives me the code but i forgot... I replied "no sir, i have not applied on that, nor have i ever discussed that with both my recruiter and his boss".... Then the career councelor makes a call to my recruiter's boss, explains the situation and hands the phone to me...
My recruiter's boss: "Sup man, whats the problem?"
Me: "Sir, what happened to the position i was locked in for, sir?"
My recruiter's boss: "Oh, i gave it away a few minutes ago, so you have to go with the position provided on the contract".
Me: "sir, with all do respect, i have not even heard about that position, and was already looking forward to at least that 3531 position."
Boss: "What the hell do you want me to do, you said you wanted to join, so here is your only option, so you gotta sign up for this one, no other options"
Me: "Sir, I cannot do that because its not the position i am interested in and its the first time i hear about it, sir"
Boss: starts chewing me up and says that he is done talking with me so i hand the phone back to my career councelor...
At this point im lost and thinking "WTF?!"

Then, i start calling the recruiters, and they dont wanna pick up their phones, and after 2 hours later call back that supposedly their brand new 2011 fusion hybrids are broke down so they cant pick me up.... SO i had to wait an additional hour for another recruiter to pick my *** up...

**** that was a long *** day and now im kinda pissed that the day went to complete waste!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the rant but i feel like they completely wasted my time today and im afraid that i have to wait for another position that pops up now...

I called my bro, explained the situation, and he completely agreed with me even though he is the one who is really pushing me to join up which is great. What do you guys think?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

When did you earn the title Marine? You sound like you know something about recruiting other than being recruited yourself.....you obviously don't. What do I have to gain by giving this kid bad advice. I am a Marine on recruiting duty now..... I am in Texas. He is in Cali I have nothing to gain. There is no fine print!! Every job has a Statement of Understanding!! If you read it and dont like what it says, dont ******* sign it!!
Wow you just revealed the secret to the world ....recruiters have quotas..... they are one per month currently which means we are turning people away. The wait to go to recruit training for active duty is almost a year, we are really hurting for applicants...
Active duty programs ARE a dime a dozen, reserves are not. The only way you get a program you dont want is if you sign an open contract...and guess what........there are no open contracts in the Reserves.
True... there were so many kids who are graduating high school this year and going active and ALL of them signed an open contract with no locked in position... off course they dont know what it means and therefore all lost and excited about joining...
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Sorry if there is a noob thread that I'm supposed to hit first but I need to comment. I'll hit it later...

black_phoenix: did you swear in? If you didn't you aren't obligated to anything at this point. If the NCOIC of your recruiter sold you something and then backed out he's a douchebag. Then again, if the reserve line numbers are all filled he could be in a tough spot himself. You might have to wait if you're still interested. Until you swear in, you don't owe the Marines anything. The issue is that you are now Q&E'd for any service. You could join any of them at this time now that you've suffered dealing with the MEPS weenies. If the Marine reserves are your choice and the unit is close you should hold out for MOS 3521.

Dreadnought: I'm pretty sure you were one of my Marines a lifetime ago. Knows everything and hated your decision to join the Corps the minute you stepped on the footprints. Couldn't get out fast enough because you were smarter than everybody. In case you missed the original post, this guy has been talking reserves. You don't go to bootcamp without a job. Period.

jarheadtex: I was at RSS Lubbock from 94-95 and then the NCOIC of RSS Roswell until 97. My son just left liberal-*** RS Seattle (probably where dreadnought hails). Anyway keep your head up and you'll be back in the fleet sweating your *** off in 29 Palms listening to your young Marines bitch about how much it sucks and then telling them to shut the **** up. Things could be worse. You could be on recruiting duty.

(unless of course you're an 84 "wonderful"...)

Ooh rah!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1987BBC
Sorry if there is a noob thread that I'm supposed to hit first but I need to comment. I'll hit it later...

black_phoenix: did you swear in? If you didn't you aren't obligated to anything at this point. If the NCOIC of your recruiter sold you something and then backed out he's a douchebag. Then again, if the reserve line numbers are all filled he could be in a tough spot himself. You might have to wait if you're still interested. Until you swear in, you don't owe the Marines anything. The issue is that you are now Q&E'd for any service. You could join any of them at this time now that you've suffered dealing with the MEPS weenies. If the Marine reserves are your choice and the unit is close you should hold out for MOS 3521.

Dreadnought: I'm pretty sure you were one of my Marines a lifetime ago. Knows everything and hated your decision to join the Corps the minute you stepped on the footprints. Couldn't get out fast enough because you were smarter than everybody. In case you missed the original post, this guy has been talking reserves. You don't go to bootcamp without a job. Period.

jarheadtex: I was at RSS Lubbock from 94-95 and then the NCOIC of RSS Roswell until 97. My son just left liberal-*** RS Seattle (probably where dreadnought hails). Anyway keep your head up and you'll be back in the fleet sweating your *** off in 29 Palms listening to your young Marines bitch about how much it sucks and then telling them to shut the **** up. Things could be worse. You could be on recruiting duty.

Ooh rah!!!

I am honestly interested in joining! Because of that inscident, i couldnt swear in... My mind is already set on this and perhaps i will wait for 3521 reserve position to pop up, there is no way im backing out of USMC, and my recruiter knows im committed, but decided to act like that and pretending like he's busy and that his brand new car broke down , one thing i got out of this situation is that i will never trust their "I promise" statements again... I just cant beleive they fucked me like that I just dont want to redo my physical again... that **** just plain sux lol
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some recruiters are total ****-bags that aren't responsible enough to care for a house cat much less other humans then get promoted and stuck in recruiting to meet a "B billet" requirement to continue in their career. So now you know this ******* couldn't hold a promise to his mother to bury her face-up and 6-feet down much less help a fellow future Marine get his job. He'd probably bury his mother *** up with her feet under. If you can find another recruiter, do so. There's no point in this guy's office getting any credit for your successful entry. Another option is to wait it out until one of your two positions are open and try again. Your third option (and probably the one I'd do since you aren't a Marine yet and don't fall under any code of conduct) is to tell that Son of a Bitch exactly what you think of him. Tell him that if you knew a MARINE would stab you in the back, you'd have looked to a REAL branch of the military like the Army where they can respect a fellow man. Also tell him you're gonna tell every high schooler you know to avoid his office because he'll **** every one of em over like he did you. Don't ever take any *** chewing from him. He ain't **** to you after treating you like this. After you tell him he's a piece of **** by Chesty Puller's standards go back to option 1.

Note: As a Marine myself I don't honestly believe ANY other branch is better than the Marines but I'd tell that recruiter anything to **** him off!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Some recruiters are total ****-bags that aren't responsible enough to care for a house cat much less other humans then get promoted and stuck in recruiting to meet a "B billet" requirement to continue in their career. So now you know this ******* couldn't hold a promise to his mother to bury her face-up and 6-feet down much less help a fellow future Marine get his job. He'd probably bury his mother *** up with her feet under. If you can find another recruiter, do so. There's no point in this guy's office getting any credit for your successful entry. Another option is to wait it out until one of your two positions are open and try again. Your third option (and probably the one I'd do since you aren't a Marine yet and don't fall under any code of conduct) is to tell that Son of a Bitch exactly what you think of him. Tell him that if you knew a MARINE would stab you in the back, you'd have looked to a REAL branch of the military like the Army where they can respect a fellow man. Also tell him you're gonna tell every high schooler you know to avoid his office because he'll **** every one of em over like he did you. Don't ever take any *** chewing from him. He ain't **** to you after treating you like this. After you tell him he's a piece of **** by Chesty Puller's standards go back to option 1.

Note: As a Marine myself I don't honestly believe ANY other branch is better than the Marines but I'd tell that recruiter anything to **** him off!

Very very great option right there!
As i was talking to him, and was getting chewed up, i felt like i had no right to talk back, so i kept my voice very mellow because i know what i would be up against in the future (i.e. bootcamp, station duty, etc.) and therefore cannot express such feelings to my superior, even though i was enraged ... I dont wanna sound like a *****, but i wouldnt want to threaten anyone like that because it might end up biting me in the *** sooner or later Worst case, i will just talk to someone other recruiter who can handle their **** or wait out for either those position.... Till this point, my recruits have not contacted me Probably phonecalls should pile up tomorrow haha
Old 05-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Launching!

^^^ Very right the Corps Is down sizing, and boy it's nice to see those fat, lazy ***** being canned. I hope you make the right choice bud. I thought I enlisted as a F/18 engine Mech. Ended up being a 6153 (airframes/hydraulics mechanic) on the CH-53D helicopter. Got the chance to be a door gunner, and I freaking love it, so you never know.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Teching In

To mr jarheadtex and 1987bbc: in the order of your questions, 1) 2005, 2) Not a recruiter, 3) No, I don't know everything, despite learning from what my recruiters told and showed me, 4) my advice is for the man (he's not a kid if he signs the dotted line) to wait out for what he really wants, not sign up for a job quota.
Furthermore, I'm not one of those guys who can't wait to get out, I'm still in with a great MOS that I've excelled in. Missed that post, however. So, forgive my misspeaking on the matter (I'm not a reservist).

My point is: wait on the job you want, don't be bullied to sign for a job you don't want. And do a little research on the side on other MOSes. A lot of guys in my field typically get out and contract, or go to college; retention rates are down here (but the opportunities the MOS provides is amazing). But, thinking for the future is never a bad thing, whether you're doing a 4, 5, 20, 30+ year profession as a Marine. It doesn't last forever, which is why I'm stating to see where the job can lead you.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 05-05-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Semantics
Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through several recruiters until I found one that understood my situation and went out of his way to take care of me and my family while I was away. AND I returned the favor by being Co Honorman and sure enough, he rubbed it in the faces of the other recruiters that wouldn't give me the time of day

keep your head up and find a recruiter that is willing to help you - they can easily monitor the open positions at the reserve units and tell you if/when the MOS you want is available
Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VinR1
I went through several recruiters until I found one that understood my situation and went out of his way to take care of me and my family while I was away. AND I returned the favor by being Co Honorman and sure enough, he rubbed it in the faces of the other recruiters that wouldn't give me the time of day

keep your head up and find a recruiter that is willing to help you - they can easily monitor the open positions at the reserve units and tell you if/when the MOS you want is available
that sounds good, i will visit another recruiting station monday!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

True... there were so many kids who are graduating high school this year and going active and ALL of them signed an open contract with no locked in position... off course they dont know what it means and therefore all lost and excited about joining...
Thats the way it works now. None of those kids will go to bootcamp with an open contract. They will get jobs before they go. Makes my job hard though, telling guys to trust me and they will get the job they want.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1987BBC

Ooh rah!!!
HAHA.... I cant believe I ever had something to bitch about in the fleet. I would gladly be sweating my *** of in Lejeune or where ever.

And for the 84wonderfuls.......well you know...haha
Semper Fi!!

Quick Reply: Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11