Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

back 4rm the navy recruiter!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation back 4rm the navy recruiter!!

so i just got back from meeting with the navy recruiter. i took the practice test, which i didnt prepare for, and scored a 56. afterwards we set up a date so i could take the real test and med exam. so far im filling out five wavers which are four tattoos and a dui. i asked his opinion on the waivers and he said i should be good to go since none of my tatts are offensive or in the wrong place and the dui was over six years ago and ive led a good life besides that. he told me about the waiting list which is about 6mths to a year and said i shouldnt be picky about a job at this time since there are so many applicants. but he then said he had an opportunity for me to leave as early as august if i was willing to take a medical job that just opened. he told me that he just learned this morning of a current recruit that was actually turning into an officer which was going to open up this specific job. he said he had "dibs" over the other recruiters and if i really was serious about leaving soon he could make it happen and set me up to leave in august if i qualified. now i kno recruiters are basically saleman and are known to bs but what do u think of this suituation? i guess either way im pretty sure this what i want to do with my life. im just looking for some good advise, tips, suggestions, etc on any subject involving the navy. so plz hook it up guys i know you all definitely know a lot thx!!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm.. Sounds kinda fishy to me. A medical job? Maybe a Corpsman? I don't think I have ever heard of a recruit "turning into an officer". They have to go through OCS in order to do that, so it doesn't just happen over night. As far as him saying "don't be picky about a job" screw that, man. You need to get into something that you want to do for the next 4 years. It really sounds like he needs to fill some jobs, and is trying to make it sound like he's hooking you up. I would say look for another recruiter.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

He is speaking of a kid in DEP waiting to ship to RTC that also had an Officer Program's application in. That kid got selected and he will now go his officer route and his enlisted job will open up. If you want to be in the Navy and you are cool with Corpsman, then go for it. But be prepared for the chance that the HM job might not be there. Right now, jobs are tough to come by, so you need to be in the mindset that you want to be in the Navy and not worry about the job so much. You can always switch jobs later if you choose to. You need to look at your situation in life and see if the Navy is really what you want. Just remember, the times of coming into the Navy and picking whatever job you want are gone. Not to mention you haven't had your waiver approved and you haven't passed medical yet...both of those things can keep you from specific fields.

If you have any questions, let me know. I am a Navy recruiter, and have been for a few years now.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
He is speaking of a kid in DEP waiting to ship to RTC that also had an Officer Program's application in. That kid got selected and he will now go his officer route and his enlisted job will open up. If you want to be in the Navy and you are cool with Corpsman, then go for it. But be prepared for the chance that the HM job might not be there. Right now, jobs are tough to come by, so you need to be in the mindset that you want to be in the Navy and not worry about the job so much. You can always switch jobs later if you choose to. You need to look at your situation in life and see if the Navy is really what you want. Just remember, the times of coming into the Navy and picking whatever job you want are gone. Not to mention you haven't had your waiver approved and you haven't passed medical yet...both of those things can keep you from specific fields.

If you have any questions, let me know. I am a Navy recruiter, and have been for a few years now.

Ahhh. We called them poolees when they were in DEP, and recruits when they were in boot.

OP, from what I know of Corpsman, they lived out in the field with us when I was in the Marine Corps. I don't know if all of them do, but the ones I worked with were right beside us the whole time.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6

Well said! I'm in Great Lakes now at FCA school. This is pretty much the way it's been over the past year I've been in, including DEP.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KevinR
Ahhh. We called them poolees when they were in DEP, and recruits when they were in boot.

OP, from what I know of Corpsman, they lived out in the field with us when I was in the Marine Corps. I don't know if all of them do, but the ones I worked with were right beside us the whole time.
HN's (Coreman) don't automatically go that route. They have to screened and meet certain requirements to go FMF (join a Marine unit). For the most part you're a Medical Assistant and work in a hospital or on a ship. Advancement isn't that great, something to keep in mind.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

im definitely keeping an opened mind when in comes to jobs because bacially i just want to get in and enjoy all thee other benefits. as far as leaving in august well its a little too soon for me. i still need to tie up some loose ends here at home and of course get into shape before rtc. i dont want to get my *** kicked that bad haha. now another issue that came up was marraige. i do plan on getting engaged soon but my recruiter recommended to not get married before i enter just because it would add another stipulation. this isnt a big deal since i dont plan on actually getting hitched for a little while anyway but how would that work for me and my spouse if i would get married say one year in. would she be able to come live with me at some point? thx for the comments so far guys! i plan on keeping this thread going with my progress!

Last edited by SunOfZ; 05-17-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: left out details
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Getting married before you go isn't a big deal at all. It won't change a thing. Having 1 dependent isn't even a waiver. You just have to have your wife's birth certificate and ssn card to get her enrolled in DEERS for medical/dental benefits.

You will get paid more money if you get married before you ship though. You will start getting your BAH (housing $$) once you ship if you are married. The recruiter probably told you to wait because he would have to change some of your paperwork and do a few other pieces of paperwork if you get married before you join (which isn't that big of a deal, just more work).

I would say getting married after you join, but before you ship would be in your best interest. The reason for that is, you get more money if you are married, and your wife gets benefits but you don't want to rush and get married literally right now before you join. However, your recruiter only needs to have the documents a few weeks before you ship so he can send them to MEPS and do the other paperwork with you.

Your spouse will be able to relocate to the area that you are stationed, and your BAH will help your get a place to live in.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

^^^ I agree. Get married before you join if you know she's the one. You'll both enjoy the benefits and life is a little more laid back when your a live a shore, oppose to being in an all male barracks everyday. Also your going to save a ton on $$$ while in bootcamp since you can't spend any of it, and BAH is nice having on top of your regular pay. But as said before, it's beginning to sound like you have a lazy recruiter. Don't let him be the reason you miss out on great chances because he was lazy. It's your life, not his. Shoot me a PM if you ever need advice or want to know how things are here in GL or RTC. I've been in Sept and will be here until Aug or so.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<< former 2-tour Navy Recruiter... listen to 99FormulaM6...
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Duffster
<<< former 2-tour Navy Recruiter... listen to 99FormulaM6...
^^^ has a hot daughter....lol. jk, hope all is well man!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the navy and the military in general isnt at all what you see on the tv or in the movies. honestly there are days i dont ever feel like im in it its kinds like a 9 to 5 job attitude almost. cept its 0530 to 1600 but thats besides the point. im in jax was with FRC and then VP5 and i am an AT (currently overmanned as ****)

a medical job to me sounds exactly like corpsman. youll be an HM. its not bad. yes your wife will be able to live with you and not only that but your free to live whereever you choose off base and the navy will pay you additional money for that ( known as BAH and BAS ) i can tell you your options as far as jobs are goign to be limited right now when i came in everythign was open it was a what do you want and do you want to go tomorrow navy. now not the case. HM is one of a few undermanned rates remaining and that is why he will only push you in that rate. now listen carefully, theres alot the recruiter isnt telling you, such as the joys of PTS (perform to serve) , overmanning/undermanning forcing you to crossrate, really low advancement percentages causing higher tenure...the navy right now honestly isnt the best to get into. they are forcing out over 16,000 sailors from seasoned master cheifs to third classes that just made it. and its goign to get worse, so if there doing this to all the people that are already in and have been in, imagine how it will be for those joining now. i may have only two tours under my belt now but ive learned the ins and outs of the system, PM me with any questions or on this forum and ill pretty much garuntee if its about the navy i can give you an answer. but if you do come in two phrases to live by, NAVY- never again volunteer yourself and you choose your rate, you choose your fate.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Get the 11 gen sentry orders down. Start practicing doing 8 counts, arm circles, flutter kicks, and mountain climbers. Rdc's love whooping recruits asses. Pfa (prt) test in bootcamp is easy. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can attest to this not being a 9-5 job. Somedays it is 0630 on monday til 2200 on tuesday if you've been on duty. I'm actually in the middle of a stint like this right now. But it is all what you make of it. I actually like my job (sub nav et), but it is very undermanned right now. Even with that, a guy I work with might be getting booted because he is a big guy overall. He has never failed a prt either so take that into consideration. It may not be this way for some, but when I left A-school if you were married you couldn't go overseas, same with any drug or alcohol incidences. Also, don't let the recruiter try and push something on you. If you truly want a specific job and qualify for it, then tell them you will wait until one comes open. this happened to me, but I got lucky and ended up really liking what I do. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

I will just say this...if a kid comes in my office, and ONLY wants to do 1 job, like IS for example, he will not be going to MEPS from my office. The time of wanting 1 specific field and waiting for it are done. You HAVE to be open to other things because we don't know if that IS job will be open when you go to rpocess and we have no way of predicting what will be open. And if I send someone down to join who is job locked and they are offered a job and don't take it, I get my *** reamed, and I'm not going to do that to myself. Most times, the person will be offer 1 or 2 jobs when they go to process (could be more or less depending on the person and what big Navy says) but we don't know what those jobs will be, which is why a person has to be open to every job they qualify for. In fact, if someone is job locked, my boss, and his boss, and his boss won't even allow that person to go to MEPS.

Quick Reply: back 4rm the navy recruiter!!