Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

curious...any fighter pilots?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curious...any fighter pilots?

As the title suggests...are there any fighter/ ex fighter pilots here? I'm curious, because I've always wanted to be one, and after I graduated high school I've been thinking of doing Air Force ROTC and going on from there. My only physical issue is eye sight, but from what I here the Air Force allows certain types of correction.

Any advice on what its like and what to expect are welcome.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

No eye anything for fighter anything. Period.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DietCoke
No eye anything for fighter anything. Period.
What?

The AF allows up to 20/70 uncorrected as long as you are correctable to 20/20. Anything beyond 20/70 requires a waiver. Fighter pilots don't have any more stringent vision standards than UAV pilots (assuming we're talking winged pilots).
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^Thank you, I believe I mentioned something like that in the original post as well.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

The general flight physical is 20/70 corrected to 20/20
Navy/marine flight is 20/40 corrected to 20/20

To actually fly a FIGHTER JET is 20/20 uncorrected, no exceptions.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The general flight physical is 20/70 corrected to 20/20
Navy/marine flight is 20/40 corrected to 20/20

To actually fly a FIGHTER JET is 20/20 uncorrected, no exceptions.
I'm assuming the 20/20 uncorrected rule you're speaking of is a Navy/Marine thing, because that is definitely not the case in the AF.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 PM
NKAWTG...N

Or you can just get PRK and be done with it.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Or you can just get PRK and be done with it.
That's what I did. 20/10 in both eyes. Amazing end result, but the surgery recovery sucked.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I did. 20/10 in both eyes. Amazing end result, but the surgery recovery sucked.
I had PRK done too. I didn't think the recovery was bad at all. Especially after that first 5 days of blurry contacts. But the doc did say, some people are in screaming fits of pain, some people don't feel anything. But, PRK is the best thing the Army has given me next to a cost free child birth, lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 AM
NKAWTG...N

My recovery wasn't pleasant but it could have been much worse.

Kinda like SERE, most fun I never want to do again.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:02 AM
8 Second Club

My recovery wasn't pleasant but it could have been much worse.

Kinda like SERE, most fun I never want to do again.
Where did you go for sere school?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Teching In

AF goes to Fairchild.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

PRK recovery sucked. No pain or anything but with the crazy blurry vision you can't really do anything. I would just get up eat shower go back to bed. To even see the computer screen my nose had to touch it. Definitely no regrets getting it though.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the OP, if you want more info just ask. There are other pilots in here (myself and StoleIt are a couple).

Basically, it takes a lot just to get into pilot training. When I first applied, I had scored excellent on the TBAS, AFOQT, had a 4.0 GPA, had a letter of reccomendation written from a General I flew combat sorties with over Afghanistan (I was an enlisted Boom Operator at the time), and I still wasn't accepted. After I applied a second time, I was picked up. You will need to have a 4 year degree (doesn't matter in what), a decent GPA, good credit, no criminal background, be able to pass a flight physical (this kills a lot of applicants), fit in the age bracket, have a good general background. THIS, is just to get your foot in the door. Keep in mind the selection process is extremly competitive. You saw what I had when I applied. There were over 600 applicants when I first applied. Less than 40 were picked up.

Once you do get into pilot training you will be against others that are also very top notch. You will be tested in every way possible against all odds. You will be expected to be perfect in a breeding ground for failure. For the Air Force, you start off in the T-6. Near the end of that phase you make your selection which track you want to go between C-130's, Helicopters, heavys, or fighter/bombers. Fighters and bombers are the most competitive spots because lots want them, and there are few that get them. If you are lucky enough to make it into that few, you go on to fly the T-38. Out of a class of around 20 or so from getting the T-38, usually 1 or maybe 2 actually get a fighter. The rest get to fly B-52's, UAV's, get sent back to be an instructor at pilot training, or get a heavy aircraft like a tanker or a cargo aircraft. So basically what I am saying is that you need to be the very top dog in just about everything the US military has to throw at you. The chances are not in your favor at all. That being said, someone has to make it, and if you are up to the challenge, you will be known as the elite. I say all of this not to discourage you, but to inform you of what lies ahead. More people end up flying UAV's or something they hate for the rest of their career who just wanted to fly a fighter, than those who get to make it. But let this be a driving force for you to be top notch and make it.

If you REALLY want to better your odds, you need to be looking at Reserve an Guard bases that fighters are at, that are hiring. If you sign on with say an F-16 Reserve unit, and they hire you, you know that if you can just pass through pilot training you will in the end get to fly the F-16 that your Reserve base has. Now, they do mandate that you pass at the top percetage of your class, but if you can do that, it is a sure thing you will get to fly that fighter in the end.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CALL911
For the OP, if you want more info just ask. There are other pilots in here (myself and StoleIt are a couple).

Basically, it takes a lot just to get into pilot training. When I first applied, I had scored excellent on the TBAS, AFOQT, had a 4.0 GPA, had a letter of reccomendation written from a General I flew combat sorties with over Afghanistan (I was an enlisted Boom Operator at the time), and I still wasn't accepted. After I applied a second time, I was picked up. You will need to have a 4 year degree (doesn't matter in what), a decent GPA, good credit, no criminal background, be able to pass a flight physical (this kills a lot of applicants), fit in the age bracket, have a good general background. THIS, is just to get your foot in the door. Keep in mind the selection process is extremly competitive. You saw what I had when I applied. There were over 600 applicants when I first applied. Less than 40 were picked up.

Once you do get into pilot training you will be against others that are also very top notch. You will be tested in every way possible against all odds. You will be expected to be perfect in a breeding ground for failure. For the Air Force, you start off in the T-6. Near the end of that phase you make your selection which track you want to go between C-130's, Helicopters, heavys, or fighter/bombers. Fighters and bombers are the most competitive spots because lots want them, and there are few that get them. If you are lucky enough to make it into that few, you go on to fly the T-38. Out of a class of around 20 or so from getting the T-38, usually 1 or maybe 2 actually get a fighter. The rest get to fly B-52's, UAV's, get sent back to be an instructor at pilot training, or get a heavy aircraft like a tanker or a cargo aircraft. So basically what I am saying is that you need to be the very top dog in just about everything the US military has to throw at you. The chances are not in your favor at all. That being said, someone has to make it, and if you are up to the challenge, you will be known as the elite. I say all of this not to discourage you, but to inform you of what lies ahead. More people end up flying UAV's or something they hate for the rest of their career who just wanted to fly a fighter, than those who get to make it. But let this be a driving force for you to be top notch and make it.

If you REALLY want to better your odds, you need to be looking at Reserve an Guard bases that fighters are at, that are hiring. If you sign on with say an F-16 Reserve unit, and they hire you, you know that if you can just pass through pilot training you will in the end get to fly the F-16 that your Reserve base has. Now, they do mandate that you pass at the top percetage of your class, but if you can do that, it is a sure thing you will get to fly that fighter in the end.
What do you fly?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Not a fighter pilot but it's just as much thrill and much easier to get into.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CALL911

I knew it was going to be hard, thanks for all the info. I am up to the challenge, its a job that I really want. Its nice to hear from someone with the experience.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
What do you fly?
Call 911 flies KC135's.

Like all the cool kids do.

NKAWTG!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call 911 flies KC135's.

Like all the cool kids do.

NKAWTG!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
What about you? I know you had mentioned quite a while ago about going to UPT. Are you still under the strong arm of AETC? Did you become a FAIP?

Quick Reply: curious...any fighter pilots?