Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Question about becoming an Officer

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about becoming an Officer

Hey guys, I need some answers, so I thought I would try here. I am going to be graduating in this June from Western Michigan with a bachelors degree in Management. My family works in Defense, my Dad at General Dynamics, and my Sister at Selfridge ANGB through the TARDEC division of TACOM.

For some reason I have had thoughts about becoming an officer in the Army/Air Force. From the research I have done, I would come in as an E-4. Is that the same rank that a traditional ROTC grad would come out with?

I'm a former College Wide-out, and in great physical shape. 6'1/2" 170 lbs, 5% body fat, I lift 5-6 days a week, and can run like a horse. Problem is... I have asthma. I have found that if you have been diagnosed with Asthma after age 13, you are automatically DQ'd. If all the training/pt tests are completed is there still a chance I would be accepted? Are there any waiver circumstances??

Thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Really? 28 people have viewed this thread, and no one knows about the circumstances revolving the admittance of a person with Asthma in the Military..
Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, you are disqualified if you have asthma. Unless you know someone with a very heavy signature, it would probably be a waste of your time to try.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to a recruiter. I believe if your off medication for an extended period of time (like years with no attack)and don't test for asthma, you might be able to get a waiver. However, if you still have it, your a no-go. BTW In the AF, you'd come in as an E-3 on the enlisted side. If your trying for the O side, then speak with an O recruiter. Dont listen to the enlisted recruiter that tells you that your chances wil be better if you enlist. pure BS. not imposible, as I've crossed over, but definitely not a sure thing or easier.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
Talk to a recruiter. I believe if your off medication for an extended period of time (like years with no attack)and don't test for asthma, you might be able to get a waiver. However, if you still have it, your a no-go. BTW In the AF, you'd come in as an E-3 on the enlisted side. If your trying for the O side, then speak with an O recruiter. Dont listen to the enlisted recruiter that tells you that your chances wil be better if you enlist. pure BS. not imposible, as I've crossed over, but definitely not a sure thing or easier.
I still have it

Just sucks because I know I would pass the PT tests with flying colors.. I would just have to use an inhaler before. I understand the legalities involved with it though. I would like to believe that there are some that have done it, but I don't know.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Thinking active or reserve or guard?
I enlisted in the army guard about 6 months ago with a MOS code of O9S....officer candidate. But still gotta go in as E4 (if you got a bachelors) and gotta do OCS packet, apply, etc like everyone else.

Air force was similar from what I was told.

As for asthma, my friend joined guard right before me. He has asthma, but really needed to get in, and im guessing he just never told them. He had a hard time with the run part of the PT, but he passes. Not saying it was right, just saying its possible
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Oh, and a guy in my BCT platoon had it, and lied about it im sure, and actually got to go to clinic and get an inhaler which he got to hold onto (ALL other meds, even cough drops, held by drill sgts)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dreww
Thinking active or reserve or guard?
I enlisted in the army guard about 6 months ago with a MOS code of O9S....officer candidate. But still gotta go in as E4 (if you got a bachelors) and gotta do OCS packet, apply, etc like everyone else.

Air force was similar from what I was told.

As for asthma, my friend joined guard right before me. He has asthma, but really needed to get in, and im guessing he just never told them. He had a hard time with the run part of the PT, but he passes. Not saying it was right, just saying its possible
So if you go in as an officer candidate, you have to complete a "packet" and apply, and are selected? What if you are not selected, do you still have to enlist like anyone else?

So your buddy lied about asthma, got in, and then said he has it? Do they reserve the right to remove you if they find out that you have it?

Unfortunately, I would not be able to run or do any PT without having an inhaler there. After I take it, physically, I am fine, and can run or lift for extended periods of time. Practically the whole day if I had to.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Anyone can apply for officer as far as I know, as long as they meet the requirements. The only thing that "getting selected" did at enlistment was make my MOS officer candidate. So I didn't have to go to AIT.
That may come back to bite me in the *** if I don't pass OCS.

I dunno what he did exactly, but as it goes "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission". You could get in trouble for lying, but I didn't see that happen to anyone.

These guys had there inhalers on their PT tets.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

It doesn't hurt to try for it recruiters will do anything to meet their quota. To include telling recruits to lie about medical history etc. go talk to a recruiter and if they say absolutely not then you wasted maybe a days worth of your time oh well
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Take your Bachelors and shoot for an internship within DOD. Logistics is great field to get in . Become a black belt in Lean Six Sigma , continue to work getting your masters and you could be getting upto 120,000 per year with in 6 years.
I am living the dream right now.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Go do a search on USAPA for AR 40-501 and read Chapter 2. After that, read AR 601-210 Chapter 4. After that, talk to your local Recruiter. Unless they have time for it, you're not likely to find a Recruiter here to give you all the latest and greatest that's out there. USAREC Messages amend the regs all the time, often several times per day.

Keep this in mind: You don't HAVE to be a SPC before becoming an officer, but it sure as hell would help you out. If you decide to go from college to Army, you would have to enlist as an OCS candidate. You would ship to BCT, OCS, BOLC, and then all of the other courses that officers have to attend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about becoming an Officer