Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Wondering about Flight Packet for WOCS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wondering about Flight Packet for WOCS

I've got a few questions regarding the subject. First, i'm here at Ft. Bragg and I dont have a clue to ask or where to go to see a reqruiter about this particular thing. I was in the Q course here and am now awaiting orders for assignment basically. I would like to at least get my foot in the door or get an idea of what I should do for putting a flight packet together. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really be appreciative. If I can't do this i'll basically be going worldwide assignment. My dad flew UH-1's in Vietnam and then UH-60's later on after that. I'd really like to get into ANY helicopter, but Blackhawks would be awesome.

Thanks for the help,
Jon - PFC US ARMY

Last edited by Jon B.; 04-21-2006 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some info...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is your Gt 110 or above??
Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Yep, my GT is 120. The only problem that I have found for myself is that my eyes SUCK! They are correctable to 20/20 though.

Jon
Old 04-22-2006, 02:09 PM
roy
TECH Resident

If you start now on your packet , you may get a class date a year from now if accepted.
If you want to go this route , Then Click http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/ . Be forewarned you would stand a better chance of making it as a Commissioned Officer. If your trying to work the system, it will back fire. If your shooting straight from the hip, then all the best to you.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Not trying to work the system, it's just something that I would really like to do. I know it may take some time, i've heard that even the best packet gets thrown out the first time around. But i'm willing to wait a while if it means I get to fly helicopters.

Jon
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Go to the WOCS website and download the checklist of the docs you need and start working on getting a security clearance if you don't have one and your resume. you will have to get an interview from a senior warrant officer in aviation also. youll want to save that until most of your paper work is in order. also you need to take the AFAST test at your nearset ed center. scedule a flight physical after that. It will take time to get things moving but it can be done. I graduated WOCS in dec 05 and am in flight school now.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Teching In

I know speaking from the Air Force us fliers are being heavly sought after by the Army for helicopter pilot posistions. I can tell you to be careful for what you wish for, most of those guys are speding 6months+ in the desert I've carried a bunch of Black Hawk's and there crews and the avg has been 6months +.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Deployments happen everywhere. I don't think that i'm going to get out of that anywhere I go. I just want to fly. Period.

Jon
Old 04-29-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Army deployments are 1 year+. I wish it was 6 months. Never seen that myself.

As for the AFAST. IT's a goofy test. I DO recommend stopping by Clothing and Sales and picking up a study guide. There are some tests that will make NO sense to you and are quite confusing if you have never seen it before. Getting the practice exam will help you understand what you are doing when you start to take the test.

IIRC, it's 50/50 correctable for the vision. I'd have to look around to see if that has changed.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

about the packet... i already assembled one trying to come in as a WO. but i didnt get past the civ. board, so i enlisted as a 15J, OH-58D mechanic. now a PFC about to PCS to hawaii, then go to the desert. after i get back from iraq, im gonna assy a new packet and submit it..... anyways, go to the recruiting site and it will tell u what u need. study for the AFAST, it is kinda weird. then u need a class 1a flight physical and alot of paperwork. u also need to make friends with your BN and BDG CO b/c they have to sign off on your packet
Old 05-01-2006, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Jon B,
Well first of all, great choice!!! I do not fly, but yes, I am senior WO. I crossed over in 97 durring my first time here @ Bragg, and I am back. Here is a great site to start @ : http://www.leavenworth.army.mil/wocc/

Good information above concerning FAST. WOCS was a major pain in the *** in 98 and I hear rumors that much has changed. It can not be anything compared to selection, but garison mind screws and games **** me off more then getting smoked.

Aviation is a great way to go, great $ (flight pay pn top of W-1, plus you make W-2 in 24 months so you will not be a WO1 in your unit more then a few months...). I am not sure about the new requirements, and I would check on that. If you need any help, pm me. Get your packet rolling and when you see a CW3 aviator running around, say hi and let him/her know what you want to do. I have seen guys in Germany take guys working on packets for rides, sims ect lots of fun. Hell in OIF1 I had a troop want to go aviation, and she ended up flying a ton with an aviation unit before we left theater.

And the comment above about comissioned, WO are are appointed @ WO1, comissioned USAR @ CW2 and comissioned active duty @ CW3. Good luck!!!
Dave
Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Most Army deployments are 1 year+. I wish it was 6 months. Never seen that myself.

As for the AFAST. IT's a goofy test. I DO recommend stopping by Clothing and Sales and picking up a study guide. There are some tests that will make NO sense to you and are quite confusing if you have never seen it before. Getting the practice exam will help you understand what you are doing when you start to take the test.

IIRC, it's 50/50 correctable for the vision. I'd have to look around to see if that has changed.
Not realy...the first golf war was 8.5 months, OIF1 was 12 and OIF 3 was actualy 9 months for me. Never say never

The AFAST is based on (rumor here) on lift. If you get why air flow over a rotary wing makes low presure below it and provides lift, well you are part way there. I agree with above as there are some great books about it too and study guides. We are doing lots of corections with eyes here @ Bragg. Good luck!!!
Dave
Old 05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I said Most. I've been on 3 deployemnts that lasted a year. Never saw less then 12 months myself.

The parts of the AFAST that were really goofy to me was the one where you have 2 dots spaced out. You then have to choose 2 dots with corresponding Arrows and Thickness to get the 2 dots together. It was also 50 Q in like 2 minutes. Tough.

The other part are the officer Questions. Hard to study for or know what they are looking for. Basically, you need to stick to your answers. They are looking for decisiveness in the answers more then anything else.

For Helicopter related Q, there is some Aerodynamic Questions, but more then 2/3 was on stuff like "What 2 colors denote a medical landing pad", "what is the correct sequence when landing a helicopter on the side of a hill with a grade of 25%".

This is why I recommend buying a study guide. It helped me out alot. (Scored a 132 on it). If you score 90 or above, that is it. Can't take the test ever again. Scoring a 110 or better is a great way to make yourself look better on the board.

Also, make sure to find someone that can help you with your packet. It's critical. Alot of times the boards only have enough time to browse thru a packet in a minute or less. SO, a great DA Photo and a well prepaired PAcket can go a long way with you receiving more then a Glance.

Quick Reply: Wondering about Flight Packet for WOCS