Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Blue to Green

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blue to Green

I'm currently an E-4 in the Navy with 5 1/2 years of service. I'm an Electronics Technician, and my rate has been closed since joining the Navy. The chance for advancement is pretty slim.

I've been seriously considering crossing over into the Army. The high year tenure for E-4's in the Navy is currently 8 years.

Just wondering if anyone here has made this move.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go marines
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
I'm currently an E-4 in the Navy with 5 1/2 years of service. I'm an Electronics Technician, and my rate has been closed since joining the Navy. The chance for advancement is pretty slim.

I've been seriously considering crossing over into the Army. The high year tenure for E-4's in the Navy is currently 8 years.

Just wondering if anyone here has made this move.

i'm pretty sure it's the same in the army too
Old 05-10-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

8 years as an e4 would suck.

brook
Old 05-11-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aggiez28
8 years as an e4 would suck.

brook

not what he was asking
Old 05-11-2006, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.goarmy.com/btg/index.jsp
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres...0/NAV05278.txt

Last edited by WILWAXU; 05-11-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

not what he was asking
ok......
Old 05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Hate to **** on your parade, but you seriously need to consider getting a CAT scan if you are considering moving from the Navy to the Army. In my last unit I worked and deployed side by side with members of all branches. The Navy guys (ET's and IT's) were pretty smart, the Army guys were either hating life, or complete idiots, and the marines loved any and all bullshit that came their way. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make E-5 in three more years. Stay in the Navy- seriously.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you could join the Air Force, make E-6 by the 8 or 9 yr mark have fairly new equipment to use and replaced every couple of years (except aircraft parts/tools) and have job satisfaction. I absolutly love my job (F-15 crewchief) I get to travel everywhere, including Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia get to go to meet some great people and still get to come home and kiss my children goodnight.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snootch
Hate to **** on your parade, but you seriously need to consider getting a CAT scan if you are considering moving from the Navy to the Army. In my last unit I worked and deployed side by side with members of all branches. The Navy guys (ET's and IT's) were pretty smart, the Army guys were either hating life, or complete idiots, and the marines loved any and all bullshit that came their way. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make E-5 in three more years. Stay in the Navy- seriously.
The reason that it's hard for me to make E-5 is because they brought way too many people into the rate when I enlisted. I always PNA my exams, and I know my ****, but the multiple to make rate is extremely high. Hopefully I make it when the results come out here in a week or two.

I like being in the Navy, I just don't really feel the sense of serving my country. I know that I'm serving, but it just doesn't feel the same and being a Marine or Soldier, I guess.

I'll more than like just stick it out with the Navy and put in a request to try out for SWCC or EOD. I guess it all boils down to me looking for a little more action.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silversweetZ
Or you could join the Air Force, make E-6 by the 8 or 9 yr mark have fairly new equipment to use and replaced every couple of years (except aircraft parts/tools) and have job satisfaction. I absolutly love my job (F-15 crewchief) I get to travel everywhere, including Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia get to go to meet some great people and still get to come home and kiss my children goodnight.
I already contacted the Air Force. You guys aren't accepting prior service right now. You're downsizing just like the Navy.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, that does suck. They are releasing 44,000 by Nov 07. Really putting a crunch on everyone. Best of luck to you though.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

I guess it all boils down to me looking for a little more action.
You want a little more action as a Navy ET? Go look up a unit called JCSE (Joint Communications Support Element) I believe it counts as a special duty assignment. They are always taking people. If you are able to get into it, it would give you a chance to:
- Go Airborne and jump outta planes at least once every quarter after Army airborne school.
- Deploy all over the place (Average amount of time deployed among all personnel is about 150 days a year.)
- Entire command structure is Army. You would be assigned to a Platoon, have a First Sergeant, PT 5 days a week with 0700 formations, and have all kinds of fun being hooah Army.
- Play with the latest gear. JCSE always uses the latest stuff. Recently, they are running the newer deployment packages using EOIP (Everything Over IP)
- Work and train with menbers of all the services. I'm AF, and both my supervisors while I was there were Army, and about 1/3 of my platoon was Navy and Marines.
- JCSE is in Tampa, FL. Tampa is big enough that it is not considered a "military town". Hell, if I go into a gas station in north tampa wearing my uniform, I get stares from people just like you do at the airport. Also, it's Tampa... Bush Gardens, Fishing, Clubbing, Disney World and the Keys aren't too far away.. etc.
-Linkage:
http://www.jcse.mil/nf/jcse_missionnf.html
http://www.jfcom.mil/about/com_jcse.htm

I spent 3 years in that unit, and I sometimes miss it now that i'm back in the regular AF. Maybe a change in assignment is what you need. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i love being a 42a human resource. so many jobs for me as a DA civillian by december ill be working as a GS-8. cant wait.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

You want a little more action as a Navy ET? Go look up a unit called JCSE (Joint Communications Support Element) I believe it counts as a special duty assignment. They are always taking people. If you are able to get into it, it would give you a chance to:
- Go Airborne and jump outta planes at least once every quarter after Army airborne school.
- Deploy all over the place (Average amount of time deployed among all personnel is about 150 days a year.)
- Entire command structure is Army. You would be assigned to a Platoon, have a First Sergeant, PT 5 days a week with 0700 formations, and have all kinds of fun being hooah Army.
- Play with the latest gear. JCSE always uses the latest stuff. Recently, they are running the newer deployment packages using EOIP (Everything Over IP)
- Work and train with menbers of all the services. I'm AF, and both my supervisors while I was there were Army, and about 1/3 of my platoon was Navy and Marines.
- JCSE is in Tampa, FL. Tampa is big enough that it is not considered a "military town". Hell, if I go into a gas station in north tampa wearing my uniform, I get stares from people just like you do at the airport. Also, it's Tampa... Bush Gardens, Fishing, Clubbing, Disney World and the Keys aren't too far away.. etc.
-Linkage:

I spent 3 years in that unit, and I sometimes miss it now that i'm back in the regular AF. Maybe a change in assignment is what you need. Hope this helps.
Thanks alot for the info. This is definitely something that I'll be checking out.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

-Linkage:

I wish there were more guys like you out there giving out good info like this when I signed up 13 yrs ago. Sounds more like the kind of job for a single person all though.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

The reason that it's hard for me to make E-5 is because they brought way too many people into the rate when I enlisted. I always PNA my exams, and I know my ****, but the multiple to make rate is extremely high. Hopefully I make it when the results come out here in a week or two.

I like being in the Navy, I just don't really feel the sense of serving my country. I know that I'm serving, but it just doesn't feel the same and being a Marine or Soldier, I guess.

I'll more than like just stick it out with the Navy and put in a request to try out for SWCC or EOD. I guess it all boils down to me looking for a little more action.
SWCC would be a blast IMO.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

Do not go into the Marines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you want to deploy to Iraq evry year or better.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

5 years in the army and being an E-4 for you get automatic e-5..
Old 07-29-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

I would keep looking at the Air Force. Just because one recruiter said "no" doesn't mean another will say "yes". I am active duty AF and in my job I see all the different branches, and trust me when I say that the Army has the most depressed people with the hardest lives. This is another reason Blue to Green was invented, to try to get the Army enlistments up since they have been way down lately. Theres a reason they want to pay you a small fee, and tell you that you'll advance quickly. Pretty much its a trick.

If you want the best life out of the branches IMO, keep pressing the Air Force till you get in. Yes we are downsizing, but there are always areas we still need new people in.

Quick Reply: Blue to Green