Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking about joining ARMY...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about joining ARMY...

Hey guys, I went to talk to a recruiter today. I've always kind of wanted to join since I've been a kid, I'm 21 now. I want to go ranger or special forces. I scored a 96 on the practice test(ASVAB) I think. I had ACL surgery Dec 2005 but all good now, he said I probably couldn't go straight to special forces (medical waiver or something) after basic because of the knee, instead I'd have to go basic, ranger, SF. I just finished my junior year of college at TX A&M (99 hours completed) so I think that will help a little on the pay scale and starting rank. Almost fluent in german too, anybody taken a proficiency test or know how hard one is? I kind of want to enlist this summer and finish up school along the way so it will be paid for. Also what's the going enlistment bonus for someone like me?

Sorry for all the questions but if I join, it will be a big commitment and I just want to know what it would be like. Any comments, advice, opinions would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id finish school first, then go to in via being an officer
Old 06-27-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
Id finish school first, then go to in via being an officer

Also sounds like your recruiter is full of it. You dont have to go to basic then ranger then SF.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266

Also sounds like your recruiter is full of it. You dont have to go to basic then ranger then SF.
Sometimes if you qualify for SF they will send you to ranger school in route. Same goes for delta force. Think about it ranger school 60 days SF or Delta Force 7 plus months. I not saying its impossible to go to SF or Delta without ranger just saying don't get supprised if they send you to ranger school in route.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
Sometimes if you qualify for SF they will send you to ranger school in route. Same goes for delta force. Think about it ranger school 60 days SF or Delta Force 7 plus months. I not saying its impossible to go to SF or Delta without ranger just saying don't get supprised if they send you to ranger school in route.
SF selection course is 24 days. Anyone can go to SFAS as long as they are at least an e4, over 110Gt, no UCMJ, and pass the pre-SFAS pt test, which is easy.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you are so close to getting your degree, you might as well get the degree, then come in.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Go Infantry =) But I'd finish school first. Then you can come in as a E-4 or officer.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

SF selection course is 24 days. Anyone can go to SFAS as long as they are at least an e4, over 110Gt, no UCMJ, and pass the pre-SFAS pt test, which is easy.

What is a 110Gt and no UCMJ. Also what are the pt test requirements?

Also I still have 60 hours left to finish my degree so it will probably be like 2 to 2 and a half years. Thats why I was thinking about joining this summer.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 110 GT (General-Technical) is a score derived from the ASVAB test. IIRC it's Math, English and Literacy scores combined. Kind of like the Armed Forces IQ test. It helps determine if you are smart enough to go thru certain Training.

You won't have to worry about UCMJ action now. You aren't in the military. It stands for Universal Code of Military Justice. It's the laws we live by and punishment falls under certain articles that govern our conduct. Basically the law of the military. We say UCMJ Action as if you were Guilty of something.

Not too sure on the Current Pre-SFAS PT requirements. I think it use to be a 210 minimum in the 17-21 year old catagory. Atleast 70 points in each of the 3 events. (Push-ups, Sit-ups, 2 mile run)

Make sure to take the DLAB test prior to enlisting. It's the test for evaluating your language skills and you get paid for that ability. It also opens up other doors in the military. Good thing to have.

Make sure to come back here after talking to the recruiter so that we know and you know he isn't Bull shitting you.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

I have been in the Army for the last 14 years.
First, they recruiters will promise you the world, they just want you to sign. I'm sure they said once your in you can request all those schools, blah, blah...BS. You could come in and your unit goes of to deployment two days later
SF did have a program for civilians to go straight to SFAS (selection course).
However, being non-military would be a disadvantage to you. Also should you fail to make it you would have to fulfill you contract commitment.

You need to enlist (if not becoming an officer) as 11B (infantry) or 11Z(Ranger< if that code is still current).

You mentioned surgery, realistically, can you march 10-15 miles with a 60-80lb ruck on your back over uneven terrain? You will need to swim 50 meters, with boots and uniform. Will your surgery prevent you from the pounding of exercises and landing from Airborne school?

I strongly suggest you finish your degree and consider joining as an officer$$$. However, I do not want to steer you away from any option.

German will be beneficial in SF as a language proficiency of +/+ (3/3 being highest) was needed to get the beret.

Good Luck
http://www.goarmy.com/special_forces/training.jsp
http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/prepare.htm
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Launching!

If he makes it pass selection they can send him to ranger school in route to SF school just like I said above. Remember you must also be willing to take a polygraph test and not have bad credit.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I knew the recruiter was bsing from the start just to try and get me to enlist, but I wouldn't dare signing anything unless I understand everything. He mentioned that I could go straight in to a SF mentoring program though, but said that I probably couldn't do that b/c of a med waiver.

As for the fitness, I definitely need to beef up but I can run 6-10 miles no problem. I would say my knee is at 90% right now, but have to continue strength training.

What does +/+ (3/3) mean on the proficiency test?

Thanks for all the comments too guys.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bro, join the air force!! taken care of much better...
Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

the DLAB as mentioed before indicates how you rate in language proficiency(to learn languages), capable to learn . High score means Arabic or Chinese, etc

Current proficiency is rated on Reading/Listening, 3/3 being the highest score.
You have to retest every year. The language pay rate is based on your score, the better, more money.

If you are getting a Med Waiver, you might not ever be accepted to SF. Once they get that waiver in your records it can close alot of doors. TRY to avoid all waiver (Medical).
Old 06-28-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

realisticially man I would not even bother going to SFAS since you had messed up ACL. I say this because SFAS is nothing excpet long treks and land navigation through the woods with a minimum of a 45 Lb rucksack on your back along with you wearing about 10 lbs of gear and carrying a weapon. You chances of messing up the leg again go up exponentially if you already have had an injury. trust me I went through the course, its hard, people get injured there.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Launching!

realisticially man I would not even bother going to SFAS since you had messed up ACL. I say this because SFAS is nothing excpet long treks and land navigation through the woods with a minimum of a 45 Lb rucksack on your back along with you wearing about 10 lbs of gear and carrying a weapon. You chances of messing up the leg again go up exponentially if you already have had an injury. trust me I went through the course, its hard, people get injured there.
Pick a MOS that you can use in the outside ie your GT score 110 do something like radar repair.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
Whoa dude, I've been there, done that and still am. I'm a former 18x(18d now) and I can tell you if you do the 18x thing you're not going to Ranger school until your get your tab. The pipeline for the q-course is fucked up enough right now without trying to figure out how to get guys through ranger school as well. We had a couple guys go scuba and the commander has since given word that until you graduate, you're *** is theirs. No schools. And the q-course is more like 1.5-2.5 years as it sits, for an x-ray. And yeah, if you go to SFAS scoring anything below a 240 (haha) on your pt test, you're in for a world of hurt. although they have made selection rather easy, or at least the standards have gone down. I also know guys who have jacked up knees, etc and they made it. Just depends if you want it. Trust me, they'll let you continue. Now I don't condone that, but it is a personal decision.

Recruiters are sneaky bastards though, thats for sure!

Oh, and those dlabs are jacked up as well. I scored high and still got French. So who the hell knows.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Boehlke
Whoa dude, I've been there, done that and still am. I'm a former 18x(18d now) and I can tell you if you do the 18x thing you're not going to Ranger school until your get your tab. The pipeline for the q-course is fucked up enough right now without trying to figure out how to get guys through ranger school as well. We had a couple guys go scuba and the commander has since given word that until you graduate, you're *** is theirs. No schools. And the q-course is more like 1.5-2.5 years as it sits, for an x-ray. And yeah, if you go to SFAS scoring anything below a 240 (haha) on your pt test, you're in for a world of hurt. although they have made selection rather easy, or at least the standards have gone down. I also know guys who have jacked up knees, etc and they made it. Just depends if you want it. Trust me, they'll let you continue. Now I don't condone that, but it is a personal decision.

Recruiters are sneaky bastards though, thats for sure!

Oh, and those dlabs are jacked up as well. I scored high and still got French. So who the hell knows.

Thanks for the encouragement, now what is 18x &18d? And what is the q-course and x-ray?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Staging Lane

lol, sorry. I've been stuck here too long. 18x is the mos you enlist under when you want to go straight to SF, once you get selected at SFAS you're assigned to either be an 18b, 18c, 18d, or 18e. Then the q-course is where you receive your training. Just a long-*** program with 4 phases. An X-ray is just someone who came in under the 18x program.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Just look at your options, and don't give up. Keep asking questions, you are lucky that you can get all this input. I'm not in any way SF, Ranger..hell I'm a leg. But I love to see all they toys that the SF units get to play with.

French...aaaah Needs Of the Army, or a Group that travels to Africa

Quick Reply: Thinking about joining ARMY...