Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

importing car to japan

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default importing car to japan

has anyone done this? i am updating my dream sheat and i am putting in for a slot in yokota. Sooooooo how do you import a car to japan, like what types can be imported? i am hoping to bring my cobra if i do go and sell it there before i leave if that is possible, i have heard that american sports cars go for alot of money over there. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a DoD embargo that will prevent you from shipping your POV at gov't expense unless it is older than a 1976 model. Don't ask me why? Something to do with fuel maybe?

There are people that still ship newer cars there at their own expense. This is fairly costly and then you have to have it inspected for JCI (Japanese Compulsory Insurance). This is a very rigorous inspection. Nothing like in the USA. They check every grease fitting and boot. It is also expensive and I believe it is based on the perceived value of the car.

One other thing. All cars in Japan are required to have amber colored turn indicators. So if yours are not amber, you will have to add those to the outside of the car.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

isnt there a law that prevents guys from taking their vehicle with them back stateside? or is that just japanese made cars?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Negative, you are allowed to ship any car back to the states AS LONG as it meets US specs i.e. shatter proof glass, reinforced door etc etc. I spent 6 yrs on Okinawa and saw many friends ship back Silvia's and Skylines to only pay $$$$ in luxury taxes and upgrading to meet specs. Now if you go from Japan to England like I did, as long as you can pass an MOT your good to go. And like it was stated before you can not bring a US vehicle into Japan, although I though it had to be older than 1974 but it may be 1976. I saw a couple of people bringing VW's but thats about it. Good Luck.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

does that include bikes too.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do not know if this includes bikes or not. I would say probably not since I also had some friends ship thier bikes/scooters back in their house hold good shipments. I thought that sounded wierd though.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Launching!

well i called TMO today and currently there are no restrictions on vehichles to bring over. however you still have to go through there inspection process and change out the turn lenses to amber. and i talked to a guy who's friend had sold a 2nd gen z28 over there for 86k american so hopefully the car is worth there what it is here or maybe a little more. And yes you can bring some cars back you have to have them converted to left hand drive, new windows, reinforced doors etc, the skyline is the only one that is allowed to be right hand drive due to it not being able to be converted. but it would cost almost as much to import it as its worth. From what i hear by the import guys.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

No restrictions on bikes that I am aware of.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I talked to my buddy in England who brought a Skyline GT-R from Japan to England who is getting ready to have it shipped to the US. He said it is a lot easier to ship from the UK because the US doesn't have the shipping restraints on the UK as opposed to Japan. So far he doesn't have to do anything to the car because he is registering it as a off-road vehicle (racing). But he is double checking because he doen't have the $$$$ once it gets there and then **** hits the fan he would be screwed with no car at all! Thats cool Japan lifted the restriction on vehicles. I wonder how they would feel if I brought over my little SUV! I miss Japan, want to go back!

Quick Reply: importing car to japan