Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

army guys..

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
Ok you win, its bull, whatever. You must not have ever worked with a signal team if you really believe all that. Apparantly NCO's dont need to know their own MOS anymore, thats fine and dandy then, I guess thats why they go to BNCOC and ANCOC at the signal school, so they can not learn signal stuff.

No offense but your leadership style seems to be the type that knows how to shine boots, iron uniforms, cut grass, and preach AR's and FM's, but if I asked you to show me how to load comsec and operate an FM radio you wouldnt be able to do it because you think that only SPC's and below need to know those technical things. What you gonna do when your soldiers are shot and cant do anything, just throw your hands up and quit?

Heres an example. An E4 goes to the promotion board and does not get 1 single question MOS related, he goes in and recites a few nonsense items and passes and get promoted the next month. Now this new E5 is in charge of an extension node site and has 3 SPC and belows working for him, all of them have not had much hands on time with the equipment and really dont have a good understanding of the job. So who are they going to rely on to teach them how to properly operate the equipment?? Hmm how bout the E5 that is in charge of the team?? And now if that E5 cant explain to his soldiers how to do the job those soldiers will lose a lot of respect for him and will think hes just another chewed up NCO. If that NCO knows his stuff and can teach the soldiers everything from MOS tech stuff as well as perform basic leadership like an NCO needs to then the soldiers will know they have a competent leader that they can repsect and look up to. I have been in these situations before and have had friends that also got promoted to E5, had no idea of technical issues, and went out to the field and made themselves and the entire PLT look bad.

I will strive to remain tactically and technically proficient Isnt that from paragraph 2 of the NCo creed??

Here are my words.

As for a soldier learning the creed and getting promoted, i've seen it happen but not on my watch. you just have to stand up and give that monthly counseling. don't blame the soldier blame the NCO that didn't have enough nuts to say sorry my man, you have to accomplish a through z.. I'm sorry that second platoon has a scrub who recommends anyone. But you will thank me later, and so will your soldiers. So back to my point, my soldiers wanted me to lead and not tell them how to fix things. That is why I have E-5's. I could go all day on this one.

So any way. maybe you are a E-5 or E-6. You'll figure it out when you are a Senior NCO. Sorry dude, you can't be one of the guys anymore. Think about it?
and about the technical part. I've ran a course at Allison Hall with 320 soldiers, during each phase that taught 23 annexes. I've had 23 Instructors working for me. So I kind of know the technical side. Uh oh does that mean I should have been a warrant.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
Exactly, IMO nothing is more embarrassing then having a subordinate telling a higher ranking NCO that he is f'd up or showing him how to do his job. I'm a mechanic in a Transportation Co. an i deal with 88 Mikes on a daily basis-Most of the time I am having to show them how to do THIER job when it comes to the simple maint. side of things. I'm not just talking about young E1's to E4's, I get just as many E5's that don't have a clue on how to grease a vehicle or even check oil!
Before you got that way, you need to find out if they were reclassed or what is the history. Don't assume anything.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1badchicken
Here are my words.

So any way. maybe you are a E-5 or E-6. You'll figure it out when you are a Senior NCO. Sorry dude, you can't be one of the guys anymore. Think about it?
:
I get that, but it is a good thing for that rare occasion that you are confronted with a technical issue to know what you are talking about.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
I get that, but it is a good thing for that rare occasion that you are confronted with a technical issue to know what you are talking about.
Once again you are missing the point. As a senior NCO you will be attending weekly meeting's at the Battalion level. and there is no way you can BS your Battalion Signal Commander or the Signal XO. Like I said, I agree that you have to know your stuff, but you also have to know your audience. That is my point. As a senior NCO your audience will change in an instant. You will be talking to your CSM, Battalion XO, Warrant, etc. That is why most of the time you will not worry with technical issues with skill level 10's. That is where your
E-5's and E-6's willl come in at. So lets get to the chase. What is your rank and what positions have you held. Most importantly what is your current position? So far I can tell you havn't filled a Senior NCO position, not at least at my level. I'm sure you are still at the company level or Platoon level. I'm not trying to talk down to you by no means. It's just i'm at the top. Heck my three star that I work for is a Signal officer.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I understand where you are coming from 1badchicken a SFC should not have much contact with a lower enlisted other than for some moral stuff. The soldiers squadleader is the first line supervisor and should handle everything themself. They must be very technically proficient so their section is running at maximum efficientcy. When I was in I was in that position and amlost nothing ever went past me up the NCO support channel or Chain of command. I was able to handle pretty much everything and when I could not I went to anither squad leader for advice. I did not want PLT or above positions in my squad level business unless I had no choice.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blacked Out
I understand where you are coming from 1badchicken a SFC should not have much contact with a lower enlisted other than for some moral stuff. The soldiers squadleader is the first line supervisor and should handle everything themself. They must be very technically proficient so their section is running at maximum efficientcy. When I was in I was in that position and amlost nothing ever went past me up the NCO support channel or Chain of command. I was able to handle pretty much everything and when I could not I went to anither squad leader for advice. I did not want PLT or above positions in my squad level business unless I had no choice.
Agreed, because If you answer every single question a soldier has, you are robbing the junior NCO of his opportunity to learn and his ability to mentor in the future. My job is not to push soldiers away but to utilize the NCO support channel. My soldiers new I had their backs. My motto was soldiers first, mission always. And in the end the buck stopped with me anyway. If i received 30 counselings at the end of the month I read 30 and I talked to the squad leader first, then brought the soldier in, if he needed additional assistance. But I had no problem telling a soldier why they were not recommended for the promotion board, but I would also give them the ways to obtain the recommendation, now that is leadership at it's best.

Quick Reply: army guys..