Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afghanistan

Anyone here gone to the A hole? My company just got notified we are going to be a "Hesco" security company over there. Anyone know what this is, what i should expect, or just want to share some stories? Thanks brothers.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Alot has changed since I was over there three years ago. The camps are not that bad now. From what I was told. You will have MWR tents there and some other stuff.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Well, HESCO barriers are basically giant sandbags that make up the outer wall of a camp. I'm guessing your unit will either be emplacing them or just man the walls and be a guard element. I didn't go to Afghanistan, I went to Iraq, but hope that helps. What is your MOS?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

I was in the stan in 04....Hesco security... hmm well you get to guard the perimeter of whatever base your on. Back then we took pop shots from RPG's, car bombs and the random taliban high on hash penetrating the wire. The screwed up thing about that whole situation was that before you get to the wire you had to walk through a mine field.... (thank the russians for that... their left over **** and wreckage is everywhere) somehow they always made it through. Oh yea... beware of the Romanians if theyre still there.... those ************* are crazy.... BUT they have alcohol. They love to trade you booze for american things. HAVE FUN!

Last edited by h8s2w8; 01-27-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wanna go to Afghnistan... I put up those hesco barriers in Kyrgzstan and they are a beotch be thankful you won't be putting them up.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, was in gahniland '03-'04 Camps were getting built up pretty good while I was there. Sounds like you will be base security to me. Enjoy. or at least Enjoy the money.

Todd
GySgt/USMC
Old 01-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Sup Tucknasty........ Crazy Crane comin in supersonic.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

left torin kowt last febuary and things arnt really that bad over there. we should be killing all those ragheads but politics wont let us. i was there with the sf as a contracted gmv mech since the corps wont take me back since i got broke and retired in 98. anyway as the guys said before you will either be building or standing on the hesco walls. you will find out what the threat level is when you get there. it wasnt bad where i was but we know how that can change. anyway the px and mwr set up is alot better now and all i can say is never let your gaurd down and never be too comfortable. good luck and god bless and semper fi. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED ANYTHING
Brian S Sult SGT USMC Ret.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been over here two years now... shoot me a PM or email when you hit the ground.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Went over and conducted an assessment late last year. The camps have significantly been improved since I was there in 02. I was at Firebase Lwara aka "El Alamo". Back then we took 59 rocket attacks in fewer days, ground probes and contacts, plus IEDs. Things are still kicking up. They were starting to get quieter but there will be a resurgence... Trust me on this one... Hesco barriers.. They work for direct hits, but anything glancing will punch through at an angle. I don't have much faith in them but they are better than nothing.

If you're going to be a "Hesco" I concur with the others, you'll be gaurding either a main installation camp or one of the firebases depending upon your MOS.
Crusty
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by h8s2w8
Oh yea... beware of the Romanians if theyre still there.... those ************* are crazy....

now thats funny

Quick Reply: Afghanistan