Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Norfolk members chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Norfolk members chime in...

I got my orders today to the USS HARRY S. TRUMAN(CVN-75). Can anyone tell me about my command or the area out there. I am from Dallas, Texas and currently in Great Mistakes, Ill. Thanks.

Oh and I am an EN.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VA Beach is nice. When I was there(2001-2006 Marine Forces Atlantic, Norfolk, VA) I spent my time at the beach. Norfolk didn't appeal to me much. A few nice bars and restraunts though.

What do you want to know?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weather, Cost of Living, Breed Restrictions on dogs, where to look for a place to live, where to get a new ride(should I buy from Texas?) etc. I am married with a dog(our child if you will) and planning on having a family in about a year(trying to be smart and actually plan it out) I am only an E1, so I won't some time in before making that expensive and responsible leap.

anything would help
Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

I'm in Norfolk and should be here for another year or so while I train for EOD. I'm stationed on the USS Wasp (LHD-1). I have two friends on the Truman and right now she's out somewhere in the ocean. The Norfolk area is pretty decent, but there's not really a whole lot to do. The cost of living isn't too bad, especially if you have BAH...you'll be fine finding a nice place to live out in town. I would look for a place in Hampton or Virginia Beach though.

As far as weather goes, it's just really humid. I havn't been here long enough to make an accurate judgement on how it is year-round, but it's hot as hell right now. You can find some good deals on cars here, but if you can get a good deal in Texas...go for it.

What kind of stuff are you into doing for fun?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I know a few guys going to the WASP. I need a place that allows Pit Bulls and it is hard to find a place.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I shoot and used to off road alot back home. Aside from that I usually sit at home with my wife and watch the two dogs go at it for hours until they pass out. Pretty lame for someone my age. Any ranges near there or on base? I need to put a few rounds through the guns and get rifle qualed.

I'm waiting to get a new vehicle, I don't want to drive to Va in two cars. Plus im getting deployed so its pointless.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about this area

http://your3forfree.usa.oodle.com/view/547387374/
Old 07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by texasglock23
I shoot and used to off road alot back home.
I also love to shoot. There is a weapons range just down the road from Naval Station Norfolk (where my ship and the Truman dock). It's called Camp Allen Weapons Range and it's on a Marine base. You can shoot pistols, rifles or shotguns. Pretty good selection, too.

http://www.mccscampallen.com/shooting_range.htm

I havn't spent any time in Williamsburg so I can't really comment on that area. The house looks nice though.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I work about 1/2 mile from that range and go fairly often. Its really nice. I have been stationed here since 2002 myself (Marine) and will be getting out and going back to Tx in a few months. Living here isnt bad though. Plenty of F-body guys to get together and hang out with.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Aside from the crappy drivers, and annoying people that are stuck up in Va-Beach. It is not to bad of living. I lived in Virginia from 2000-2007. With the exception of going on tours. The night life is decent as long as you hit the right places at the right times. As far as the weather is concerned. It is pretty sesional. It gets cold along the ocean front due to the wind in the winter. It does not snow as much as I would have liked, but when it snows, it usually closes everything down, cause people there don't know how to drive. Va-Beach has some really nice clubs and bar sceens, but watch out for the Fuzz, They are ticket happy down there, and very strick on DUI's. I liked it for the most part but am way happier were I am at now than what I was there.

Lane
Old 07-22-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its not tp bad man.... Ive been here for a YR and have 3 more to go. Shoot me a PM if ya need help. Im stationed at Lil Creek and loving my job...
There is quite a bit to do if you get out there and look for it....
Shoot me a PM and ill try and help ya out if i can.

Kyle
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

its alright here...i didnt like Norfolk, so we live in Newport News... Va Beach was too expensive, and Norfolk is kinda ghetto. You can find nice places anywhere, but the majority of Norfolk is kinda blah. Newport News is like 25-30 miles away but i get to work in 30 minutes, and i like the place where I live. Plus, our 1200sqft townhouse is 770/mo and a comparable place in VB is going to be 1000+...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh, and I looked at the link you posted for that house... it is in Williamsburg which is a little further than where i live, so you will have a nice drive to work... But Williamsburg isnt really all developed up, so its a nice quiet area
Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Like most of the previous posters have said the Norfolk area isn't too bad. Va Beach is kind of pricey when looking for a home. Norfolk is hit or miss depending on whats on the market and the outlining places are usually good places to live if you don't mind spending 30mins or more on the road going to and from work. Only thing to really watch out for are the local drivers who panic at the sight of rain and snow.
Have you locals ever gotten together?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

We get togeather all the time.... almost every saturday at Bass Pro. Huge Turn outs...
I do agree with Chris that Norfolk is Ghetto..... for the price of an apartment in VA Beach i have a House in Norfolk.... Alot of us dont want to fight the Tunnel to get to work or home..... if you leave work after about 345.... your screwed... your in traffic for a good HR and if there is a wreck........
Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

the tunnel is a bitch...it can take me anywhere from 30 mins to 1 1/2 hrs to get home in the afternoon. And for some reason, even if there isnt an accident or anything, people still slow down when they start to hit the tunnel entrance...or they slow down on the bridge to look around. other than that, its not too bad. and i enjoy the drive when the weather is nice..
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

yeah im on the Eisenhower out to sea right now but i get out in like 3 weeks so im siked. but im looking for some action when i come back. 99 formula i was talking to you about this earlier
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my good buddies brian/user Bshell moved to that area! We did install and tuning together in hawaii! He has a H/C blue firehawk
Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

The best thing probibly that is In Va is they have alot of car meets. You will make some good friends, and you will allways have a blast either at jenro's or Bass Pro. And another good thing that no one has mentioned is, they get alot of Concerts of all sorts, and also the WWE and every so often the Monster Trucks and MotoCross. About once a month at the Virginia Beach Amph. They have a gun Show/Sale.

Lane

Quick Reply: Norfolk members chime in...