Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How to ask if someone is in the millitary

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weberje
It's "Rate" or "Rating" for the Squids. As in AM rating (airframes mechanics); AD rating (powerplants mechanics); etc.

I'm sorry but IMHO a MARINE will look like a Marine whether in uniform or in civilian attire as that is a prescribed uniform as well. He won't look "back on the block", at least if he's worth a sh*t and takes pride in being a Marine. Which, if he's boastin' for the honeys, then I would suppose is the case. More than likely, he is a boot and you can still smell the rubber on his shower shoes.

In my time as an instructor here, I've trained about 5,000 Marines and Sailors. I can say that I am seeing some FAT/ out of shape Devils. Build is not the indicator anymore. They don't shine boots and starch/iron like we used to w/ the "analogs" (old cammies- cause the new ones are digital) so pride in their uniform and general appearance is waning. There are still some outstanding young Marines coming in though. But as was previously stated before- some may have the low fade with the scrub and not want to associate themselves with the Corps until they feel necessary.
Tell me, are you an instructor at NAS Pensacola or Corry Station?
I went to Corry. I remember sportin' my razor-tight high reg, having to go through a room inspection every morning and participating in boots 'n utes death runs with the Captain... and how every bit of it didn't matter in the fleet.
Now, I sport a low reg (and only wish I could sport tapered and off the ears), I don't have my room to white glove standards (even though it's required here in the berthing on ship), and the cammies that I have here on ship (at least my greens) have tears in them from usual wear and tear, not to mention MCMAP training. I don't have the material necessary to make patches for the holes in them, so that makes me a sh!tb@g, doesn't it?

Honestly. The reason why I sport a low-reg and longer hair is BECAUSE I care about my appearance. If I was in the rear, my cammies would be fixed and neat, sleeves tight (but not too high, I got the square instead of triangle), and I wouldn't worry about my service or dress uniforms because I never have to wear them, and when I do, they're perfect and ready to go. And I'd still keep a low reg (if ONLY tapered and off the ears was within regs...damn).

Simple way to find out if they're in the military? Ask for an ID.
Ask about their job.

Marines= MOS (4 numbers)
Army= MOS (2 numbers and a letter pronounced phonetically)
Air Force = AFSC or whatever it is...I believe it's done like the Army's, but I'm not sure
Navy= Rate/Rating (2-3 letters with a number or addional letters depending on paygrade and pins [surface warface, air warfare, air crew])

The thing about some boot coming back to a party in their blues? Authorized.
The thing about berating some PVT (slicksleeve, remember? They don't have a rank to show!) in his blues? Douchebag move. Completely unnecessary..considering you don't wear a cover indoors unless specifically ordered to do so (USMC Ball ceremonial color guard, Funeral services, etc).
If all the uniform items were missing (belt and buckle, dress shoes/coreframes, buttons, rifle badge and national service medal/ribbon), then I would have said something, but still. If the guy's out of boot, and proud, let him be. Don't make him feel like ****. You're not his command, don't act like you are. Correct when necessary, not when you don't have to. People who boast about lifing a Marine for stupid **** make people NOT WANT TO REENLIST. And you ask yourselves why the retention rates are so low?

I'm done venting.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
What kind of a loser would lie about being in the millitary? I have never run into this kind of thing.
Same thing I was thinking, but I guess there could be some "wanna-be's" that confused military service for playing GI Joe around the back yard with super soakers.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

To the OP - not everyone who's in the USMC is "huge muscled Billy-Badass". Nor does every military member sport a high-n-tight (I do, simply because if I don't have "skin on the sides" I have to get a haircut ever 1.5 weeks)
Originally Posted by Aezerafel

Marines= MOS (4 numbers)
Army= MOS (2 numbers and a letter pronounced phonetically)
Air Force = AFSC or whatever it is...I believe it's done like the Army's, but I'm not sure
Navy= Rate/Rating (2-3 letters with a number or addional letters depending on paygrade and pins [surface warface, air warfare, air crew]
That'd be the way to do it.
Originally Posted by Aezerafel
The thing about some boot coming back to a party in their blues? Authorized.
The thing about berating some PVT (slicksleeve, remember? They don't have a rank to show!) in his blues? Douchebag move. Completely unnecessary..considering you don't wear a cover indoors unless specifically ordered to do so (USMC Ball ceremonial color guard, Funeral services, etc).
If all the uniform items were missing (belt and buckle, dress shoes/coreframes, buttons, rifle badge and national service medal/ribbon), then I would have said something, but still. If the guy's out of boot, and proud, let him be. Don't make him feel like ****. You're not his command, don't act like you are. Correct when necessary, not when you don't have to. People who boast about lifing a Marine for stupid **** make people NOT WANT TO REENLIST. And you ask yourselves why the retention rates are so low?
Awesome post

I have 59 days left on Active Duty - WOOT!

Quick Reply: How to ask if someone is in the millitary