Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Insulting day from my shop...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Insulting day from my shop...

Welp.. I'm towards the end of my ALS (PME, Leadership school) class. About a week and a half left. I sent out 4 invites to my graduation 3 weeks ago..

NOT ONE PERSON FROM WORK RSVP'D!!! Today was the deadline.

I'm so insulted. I don't mean to cry or whine, but really... I invited my boss and a 'friend' from the shop.

WTF.... I'm so tired of being kicked around at work... I'm USAF CE Heavy Equipment Operator... (S)Sgt..

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-29-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what you do... Your group and squadron commander and shirt will be there regardless, and you'll probably be sitting with them. When they ask where/who your supervisor is....drop the dime on that focker. They will be pissed.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

^ my direct supervisor is deployed.. Then my Boss didn't bother to RSVP.. We'll see how it goes.. Even the Sgt in charge of the reservations and booking was asking "WTF is up w/ your shop? We usually get a good turnout from them." -Yeah, cause they'll make me buy rounds.. Apparently that isn't even enough to get them to come.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that sucks. Time to move.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

This whole base is like this.. The more I learn about CML, the more I realize how F***ED this base is!! It's from the top down.. Especially in our shop! If someone is Capable and Uninclined, they just yell at you instead of engaging or motivating you! It's F***ed!!! Or they just leave you be when you need motivation.. The discontent of people being stuck here is like cancer. It starts and it's hard to stop..
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

At lunch tomorrow go and ask them to their face. I show up to that stuff all the time, and hardly ever RSVP. I know it's wrong, but I'm usually too busy to do it, but mark my calender to make sure I'm there.

The most important thing is not to take it personal. If it is truly a shop problem, you are about to be in a position to make a change. Take all the things you don't like about your leadership and base your leadership method on this experience.

Oh, and you might as well forget that capable, uninclined crap right now. It has no use in the real AF.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

I went to our (USMC) resident PME "Sgt's Course", which is a 6 week long leadership course. Out of 119 of my peers, I came out the HONOR GRADUATE. Not a single face from my Command showed up at my graduation. Oh well, I'll succeed nonetheless, and I'm sure you'll do the same. Hang in there.

"Motivation is the difference between what you CAN do and what you ACTUALLY do."
-Jeremy Weber
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

There are so many ALS graduations and graduates every year that many supervisors just don't really bother with it anymore. Everyone is a little busier lately anyway.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Teching In

This is something that is happening in ALL shops, not just yours. I see it as another indicator the AF is being overworked with not enough people, and off duty time is geting more and more valuable to some.

With that said though, your supervisor should attend. Go talk to him like stated before. The invite could have got lost in the paperwork, and he might have forgot. Sometimes, face to face reminders are the only way to get things done.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldnt fret about it too much man. all throughout ALS, my grades were top-notch - both "formative" and "summative." i had one grade that was considerably low that knocked me out of honor grad status. also, i was on the mil-cit team. not to mention, i was taking an off-duty class. so my hours were basically from 0630hrs - ~1730hrs during the week, then i had class from 1900hrs - 2200hrs on tues. and thurs. nights. keep in mind i had homework for both ALS and class, so i often stayed up until midnight every night, and got up at 0530hrs, and trained with my mil-cit team on Sundays - basically giving me 1 free day per week. managed to get an "A" in PreCalculus while maintaining my grades in ALS. also the only one in my class to get CMSAF McKinley's coin. all of this, and no complaining. what'd i get from my shop? "good job." ...thats it.

the other guy in my shop who was in with me ended up getting DG and was one of the IM'ers. to my knowledge, he wasnt taking any classes or anything like that. what'd he get from my shop? "thats awesome! u did a really good job! how's it feel? etc. etc." in fact, everyone in the bomb dump kept telling him he did a great job and made AMMO look good.

dude, the best idea i can give u is to just let it roll. i know wut kind of airman i am, wut kinda work i do, and wut im capable of. most people dont know exactly wut all i did during ALS, or wut all was going on in my personal life. but i cant let that bother me. water off a duck's back. just worry about urself right now man - keep ur grades up and give it ur all.

sry bout the lengthy response, but i feel where ur comin from.

*edit
oh btw, i failed to mention that everyone in my shop - including my own supervisor - was betting against me that i wuldnt make staff this year (2nd time testing). only one guy - a TSgt who PCA'd recently - said he believed i wuld make it. the other guy who went in with me had more votes goin for him. cant let that **** get to me tho - i made it and excelled in ALS.

Last edited by camaroguy_02; 11-30-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I had a couple people telling me that I made it due to TIS, TIG, DECs and EPR's.. THen the results came out..

THey sink all their favoritism in to that one guy (*******, IMO), he was supposed to PCS to Korea, but lost his orders due to MEB. Anyway.. He had to go thru ALS, it inflated his head to some ungodly extent.. Him and I have never gotten along.. THEN he found out I made staff... BOY, was he LIVID!!!! I studied my *** OFF for 6 months for that test!!! AND IT PAID OFF!!! He even went into the boss's office bitching about me.. "That MFR just sits at the Airfield shop all day and studies!!" They asked him if he studied, he said yes.. Which I KNOW he really didn't. I heard him say so.. THey told him that.. "Well, if you study and put forth the effort, you'll prolly make it."

I think that they may have been humoring me thinking to themselves that I wasn't smart enough to pass it.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man that sucks I'm PCS'ing before I go to ALS so hopefully my next shop is better than my current ones been. They aren't bad, but there are times when no one showed to someones graduation.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Well.. I found out what was going on.. THere's only three GI's in the shop.. The persons I sent the invite to, 1 is Final Out PCing, the other is Training to be NCOIC of the airfield shop.

Anyway... I think I'm borderline loosing it. I haven't taken leave in a year adn I'm fighting a loosing battle at work.. (VCO and soon to be Tool Room NCOIC).> .Anyway.. I saw my MSGT at this thing on friday, I went off on him in front of our LT, Section Commander.

Here's how it went: I didn't catch ANYTHING from it, but the LT's Jaw was on the ground the whole time. and I HATE IT when He calls me AMN!! I consider it a derogatory term.

__________________________________________________ _______________
"Hey, AMN Bayer... When You coming back to work?

Never as far as I'm concerned.. I don't give a flying FK about you guys anymore! I haven't taken leave in a year and if I'm denied this, I'm going to loose it! And it's SGT BAYER!

"Oh... Why don't you want to come back?"

I FKNG Hate that DAMN Shop! THey can all rot in hell for all I care.. I don't give a FK about Kenny Being on leave either!

"Well, we need you back!"

Yeah.. BS.... Anyone in that shop can do my damn job!
__________________________________________________ ______

I very calmly went off on him.. I'm just overstressed and burnt out at work.

Anyway... There was more, but that's the jist of it. And that MSGT is a reservist who is SO out of his element it's not even funny.. We don't even know wh7y he's here.. I don't think he's capable of running a shop.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

So you've already sewed on SSgt, and he's (MSgt) still calling you Airman? That's jacked up.

Edit - wait, I just saw you're not sewing on until 1 Feb. Why exactly do you expect to be called sergeant when you're still an airman?

Last edited by LS1_Disciple; 12-03-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Launching!

damn bro sorry to hear it.. but you know what, you dont need peoples appreciation to feel good about yourself. you came along way, that accomplishment is awesome. your graduating!!

congratualtions bro.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I ended up calling a Tsgt (S) in my shop and told him what's up.. We're kind of buddy's anyway... But I told him what I told MSGT White (in front of our section commander too).. I apologized and asked him to tell Sgt White I apologized. I don't want to risk a possible UCMJ Art 92 Violation if someone want to make a stink about it.. Plus the LT was prolly shocked, and w/ him not being in that long, I don't think he quite knew what to say.. THey were both in uniform and I was laying into a MSGT... I think that's pretty ballsy as far as what I'm known for NOT doing.. I've never done that before and I think I just lost it. Work stress and reintegration, from seperation from work for so long..
Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM
NKAWTG...N

So your a Senior Airman who hasn't sown on Staff Sgt yet...yet hate being called Airman?

What would you like to be called out of curiosity? Staff Sgt Select?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StoleIt
So your a Senior Airman who hasn't sown on Staff Sgt yet...yet hate being called Airman?

What would you like to be called out of curiosity? Staff Sgt Select?
That's what I was thinking. I call people Airman all the time. It's called being proffessional. Especially with the LT in the room.

There were definately better ways to handle that, and I don't think an apology through a friend will handle it.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

sounds like you feel everyone "owes" you something.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I'm USAF CE Heavy Equipment Operator... (S)Sgt..
REDHORSE?????

Quick Reply: Insulting day from my shop...