Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

23 too old???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 23 too old???

I have always wanted to go fly Fighter jets since I was a kid. After spending a year of college here in my home town I was going to go but stayed here for a girl.

Well needless to say, we ended everything last October. I have been thinking about going back to school and trying to get into the flight program for the Air Force.

Only problem is that I need at least 4 years of school for Aerospace Engineering and then go to the Air Force and probably another 4 years of flight school.

Do you guys think 23 is too old to try and start something like this?? Man if I knew this was gonig to happen I should have just went with I was 19.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the military section, you might get some better answers there
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I have always wanted to go fly Fighter jets since I was a kid. After spending a year of college here in my home town I was going to go but stayed here for a girl.

Well needless to say, we ended everything last October. I have been thinking about going back to school and trying to get into the flight program for the Air Force.

Only problem is that I need at least 4 years of school for Aerospace Engineering and then go to the Air Force and probably another 4 years of flight school.

Do you guys think 23 is too old to try and start something like this?? Man if I knew this was gonig to happen I should have just went with I was 19.
to answer ur question, it is never too old to start something. this is a career that will probably have u set for the rest of ur life. it is a great career and well worth it. imagine if u decide to not go and u look back at ur life in 20 years, and it is not what u expect it to be. U would regret it for the rest of ur life. besides, if ur worried about money, the air force have some great programs that would help u out financially. u will make the right decision, but take ur time.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do it man, I passed on the opportunity twice now, once because of my eyes second because of a girl. I am already regretting it. Word to the wise, try to get some hours in at a local flight school before you enter. It will help you out believe you me.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know how the AF flight programs work, but I know in the Navy pretty much everything is out of the question once you turn 23. All enlisted to officer programs are limited to 23 and younger except for a very select few. Go talk to a recrutier and tell him what you want, just try not to take in too much of his bullshit.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do it man!! 23 isn't even close to being too old. A good friend of mine jumped into the Air Force @ 25 and has made a great career out of it.

Go for your dreams bro and don't look back!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

23 to 25 is the cutoff for Flight Training, then you have to factor in physical requirements. Hight, wieght, vision, hearing. Airforce and Navy invest several hundred thousand dollars of training and equipment into each pilot prospect. Its hard, and intensive, but once you feel the Gs of that jet taking off, its all worth it.

I was an Air Traffice Controller in the Navy, never got my wings, but have had the oppertunity to luanch off a Cat from an Air Craft Carrier, 0 to 300 in 2 seconds is fuggin awesome.

Talk to a recruiter, in todays military, good candidates are becoming fewer and harder to find. You may have a better chance today than you would have 10 years ago.

Good Luck
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

You would need to have your degree by 29 to be available to be a MC officer. PM me if you have any questions, I have answered others questions on this board. I am a Marine recruiter here in Washington state.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by voodoochi1d
23 to 25 is the cutoff for Flight Training, then you have to factor in physical requirements.
Good Luck
I know 28 1/2 used to be the cut off to start flight training, but it has changed in the last year or two. I can't remember if it went up or down. I would finish school and put a packet in for OTS. You don't need four years of flight school, we take pedestrians and make them pilots all the time here at Sheppard in 54 weeks. A little bit of exerience is helpful, but nothing on the civialin side of aviation can really prepare you for military aviation.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
I know 28 1/2 used to be the cut off to start flight training, but it has changed in the last year or two. I can't remember if it went up or down. I would finish school and put a packet in for OTS. You don't need four years of flight school, we take pedestrians and make them pilots all the time here at Sheppard in 54 weeks. A little bit of exerience is helpful, but nothing on the civialin side of aviation can really prepare you for military aviation.

Good advice, I'd go PPL and MAYBE an Instrument ticket at most. I had 400+ hours going in and the biggest challenge for me was unlearning stuff

You don't need an AE degree -a tech degree may give you an slight edge OTS board wise but, bottom line, do something you're interested in (not underwater basket weaving) and do well in it. Also study hard and do well on your AFOQT. FWIW, the #1 guy in my class was a drunken finance major.

good luck
Old 01-26-2008, 03:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Army does high-school to flight school so you do not have to mess with college but fly choppers. That is your only real bet if you want to be a pilot (27 would be the max for you to get commissioned regularly, w/o prior service) and you have 4 yrs of undergrad to do...if you do everything perfect.

W
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Z28...love the avitar. I was going to join when I was 17, but just didn't feel ready for it yet. Worked and went to school and finally get the bug again at 24. Tried to join the Navy reserves but found out after I listened to all the recruiters bullshit and took a couple of tests that I couldn't go reserve until 26. After that I just kinda forgot about it for awhile. Now I'm 33 and really regret not going in. So take it from someone who was there and do it while you can.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Teching In

DopdBrd,
From the AFIs:
6.2.2. Applicants applying for rated programs (Pilots, Navigators, and ABMs) will be considered without a waiver if they are less than 28 years of age by the board-convening date. Rated applicants must be able to complete the selection process, attend BOT, attend Introductory Flight Training (IFT) if applicable, and enter undergraduate flying, undergraduate navigator or air battle management training prior to age 30, and must be eligible to receive a conferred degree prior to age 29. Rated applicants who are 29 as of the BOT board convening date are too old to apply. Exception To Policy (ETP) requests will only be considered for Pilot or Navigator applicants who have a private or commercial pilot license, meet the minimum program specific qualifications in Table 1, and can enter undergraduate pilot/navigator training prior to age 30. ETP requests will not be considered for ABM applicants who are 29 within 45 days of the board convening date. Ensure all rated applicants initial next to the rated age statement (AF IMT 56, Item 22.A), regardless of their age.

www.airforceots.com can be a great resource if you're really interested.

Last edited by earl3; 01-26-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Teching In

what earl said

cut off for USAFA cadets is 23, you're already to late for that. Get to college and join ROTC if you want to fly and you need to be there in the fall so you can graduate and commision before you turn 28.

1 other note, you don't have to have an engineering degree to fly. Also keep in mind that you are not guaranteed a pilot slot when you sign your commitment (ask me how I know), so when you sign make sure you're okay with that.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

I did not join the Marines till I was nearly 23, and did just fine. Just make sure you are in good shape, because the younger guys will bounce back quicker than you. You will be fine though, if I could make it through USMC bootcamp as a heavy smoker and I was fat as hell, then you can make it through Air Force vacation.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Launching!

I'm 27 as of yesterday and I am leaving for usaf basic in march. Everyone has told me I am smart to make this move to take care of my family and you will always have a job if you dont f up, and in the current economy, that is piece of mind. Do it man, i can't wait, and if you don't like it, after 4 years you can go back to the civil life of lazy, unorganized, and slow people always getting in the way of your goals. That is just my 2 cents
Steve
Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lancer033
what earl said

Also keep in mind that you are not guaranteed a pilot slot when you sign your commitment (ask me how I know), so when you sign make sure you're okay with that.
That's why I avoided ROTC. I have a ****-ton of college loans from Embry Riddle, but I'm a pilot in the USAF not a bean counter so it's worth the $$ IMO. If you select OTS, you will know if you're selected for pilot training before you sign anything. So get a degree in a field you like because you may not get selected, have a backup plan.

Last edited by 98LS-WON; 02-08-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 23 too old???