Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AFSC question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AFSC question

well, im leaving to basic april 29 my afsc as far as i know now is aircraft fuel systems apprentice. (mechanical field) i was hoping to go with aerial gunner 1A7X1 that seems to be a job i would love to have. now is there any way of switching b/c i know my fuel systems job is not gauranteed? or would it be best to wait 3 years and switch my job then?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

so you went in on an open mechanical contract?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no, i signed a paper with it saying i should be able to get the fuel systems but my recruiter says its not "guaranteed"
Old 02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Well you havent left yet, so you still have time to get out of the fuels job. I would tell your recruiter you didnt want to go unless you are guaranteed aerial gunner.

Dont wait for 3 years or whenever your window opens up to retrain, if you do you just make a list to cross train into and they pick it for you. But now you can go in guaranteed whatever you want.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Launching!

so im a fuel system guy. i actually did enjoy the job but i hated going home smelling like fuel everyday it sucked. i actually just got taken out of the job b/c i have been getting a rash on my arms due to messing with the fuel. and im going to be crosstraining soon or getting out.

reguardless of what you have signed so far you are not commited to the airforce. until the day you wake up and go to MEPS the day you leave for basic and get sworn in you dont owe the airforce ****.

so i suggest you tell your recuiter your not going to show up at MEPS until you are a gunner. tell him that if you show up at meps and they say your job is 2a6x4 then your going to be walking away and he is screwed and not going to get credit for you joining...

dont be scared for feel pressured. trust me do the job you want to do and get it now b/c its hard to crosstrain.

granted i did enjoy fuel systems and there are a bunch of good people in the career field you dont want to do it.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
so im a fuel system guy. i actually did enjoy the job but i hated going home smelling like fuel everyday it sucked. i actually just got taken out of the job b/c i have been getting a rash on my arms due to messing with the fuel. and im going to be crosstraining soon or getting out.

reguardless of what you have signed so far you are not commited to the airforce. until the day you wake up and go to MEPS the day you leave for basic and get sworn in you dont owe the airforce ****.

so i suggest you tell your recuiter your not going to show up at MEPS until you are a gunner. tell him that if you show up at meps and they say your job is 2a6x4 then your going to be walking away and he is screwed and not going to get credit for you joining...

dont be scared for feel pressured. trust me do the job you want to do and get it now b/c its hard to crosstrain.

granted i did enjoy fuel systems and there are a bunch of good people in the career field you dont want to do it.
Yes you dont owe **** yet, get the job you want to or you are going to regret it.

Get the job you want, not the job he wants for you

-justin
Old 02-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Yeah, get a guaranteed job or you'll end up being a cop or working on jets.

That being said, I'm hoping on cross training into the Air Traffic Control job. Anyone know anyone that does the tower thing?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pneumothorax
Yeah, get a guaranteed job or you'll end up being a cop or working on jets.

That being said, I'm hoping on cross training into the Air Traffic Control job. Anyone know anyone that does the tower thing?
VERY difficult school to get through, has like a 80% washout rate. Highest washout rate that is not special forces related.

I'd like to do it, but by the time you get trained, it's to late.....but if your young, go for it.

Job waiting for you when you get out!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Teching In

I'm 22. Not trying to brag or anything but my lowest ASVAB score was like an 85. Somehow I got stuck with the job I've got. A farking monkey could do my job.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Splitz
VERY difficult school to get through, has like a 80% washout rate. Highest washout rate that is not special forces related.

I'd like to do it, but by the time you get trained, it's to late.....but if your young, go for it.

Job waiting for you when you get out!
the washout rate is no where near 80% i know a few controllers here at tyndall, they all enjoy it.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sparky t/a
the washout rate is no where near 80% i know a few controllers here at tyndall, they all enjoy it.
Of course they do, they're in Panama City lol
Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

there is nothing highly enticing about panama city, the base itself is a good place to be though.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sparky t/a
there is nothing highly enticing about panama city, the base itself is a good place to be though.
Trust me. It's better than Sumter/Shaw up in South Carolina
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Get the job you want now, it will be a lot easier than waiting until you're already in.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

man you can kiss the gunner job good buy, its very rare for somebody to get it, but it is possible, but no matter hwat the recruiter will not to you for sure that you have the ariel gunner job, most of the guys that get that job are already in the air force and got lucky, if your in good shape, then ask your recruiter to take a PAST test and go for a SERE or CCT job, you can save lots of money, you will always have sumtin to do, and you can make a shitload of money on the outside, and as far as the ATC school goes i belive the washout rate is only 40% its one of the harder tech schools cause its long and kinda boring to get through, i plan on becomign a CCT so i have studied this job in and out and knwo everythign about it, and what fuels job did you get?? regular fuels, POL, LFM??
Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_dragon_93
man you can kiss the gunner job good buy, its very rare for somebody to get it, but it is possible, but no matter hwat the recruiter will not to you for sure that you have the ariel gunner job, most of the guys that get that job are already in the air force and got lucky, if your in good shape, then ask your recruiter to take a PAST test and go for a SERE or CCT job, you can save lots of money, you will always have sumtin to do, and you can make a shitload of money on the outside, and as far as the ATC school goes i belive the washout rate is only 40% its one of the harder tech schools cause its long and kinda boring to get through, i plan on becomign a CCT so i have studied this job in and out and knwo everythign about it, and what fuels job did you get?? regular fuels, POL, LFM??
i got aircraft fuel systems apprentice, im guessing thats regular fuels? not sure. but if you get combat controller thats a awesome job. i'd like to get PJ but that probably wont happen.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

why wouldnt it happen? aslogn as you are fit and can make good decisions under stress you should be fine, i knwo alot of SOF guys, they all love it and wouldnt wanna do anything else, PJ is cool to but i cant stand medical stuff lol
Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JHL88
i got aircraft fuel systems apprentice, im guessing thats regular fuels? not sure. but if you get combat controller thats a awesome job. i'd like to get PJ but that probably wont happen.

so you got fuel systems. it can be a fun job depending where you get stationed. where do you want to get stationed?

quick overview on the job. you will be going inside of jets and changing parts,pulling fuel foam and fuel cells. YOU WILL go home smelling like fuel everyday which is the worst part of the job and there is no way around it. every jet is similar in certain aspects but are very different in others. from all of the jets i have worked the f-16 is by far the best and then the f-22.

if you have any questions just ask. i woudl recommend you put macdill on your dream sheet. it is the most ideal base for fuel systems. just a thought oh and its in tampa fl which is an awesome city.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
so you got fuel systems. it can be a fun job depending where you get stationed. where do you want to get stationed?

quick overview on the job. you will be going inside of jets and changing parts,pulling fuel foam and fuel cells. YOU WILL go home smelling like fuel everyday which is the worst part of the job and there is no way around it. every jet is similar in certain aspects but are very different in others. from all of the jets i have worked the f-16 is by far the best and then the f-22.

if you have any questions just ask. i woudl recommend you put macdill on your dream sheet. it is the most ideal base for fuel systems. just a thought oh and its in tampa fl which is an awesome city.
hey, thanks man. if i think of somethin ill be sure to ask. i cant wait to leave. but the bases id want to go off the top of my head are Andrews (close to home, but i love that base) and Nellis AFB Las vegas, nevada. as long as i dont stay in texas
Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JHL88
hey, thanks man. if i think of somethin ill be sure to ask. i cant wait to leave. but the bases id want to go off the top of my head are Andrews (close to home, but i love that base) and Nellis AFB Las vegas, nevada. as long as i dont stay in texas
vegas was my first base and so far the best. lots of work but you learn alot too. you work on f-15's, f-16's,a-10's, f-22's and hh-60's there. and vegas it self is lots of fun. oh and they dont deploy. if you put it on your list of places to go you will probable get it. if you want to go there put that first on your dream sheet

Quick Reply: AFSC question