Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

More questions about enlisting USMC

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More questions about enlisting USMC

*****UPDATED****** More questions at the bottom of the page !!!!!

Well, due to the responses I got from this site (thank you) and other various military sites, I am still thinking about enlisting with the USMC with an MOS of 7051 Aircraft Firefighting & Rescue. I am really hoping that I will be able to get the MOS I am looking for and not get stuck with something I dont enjoy doing. I have had alot of guys tell me that I should join USAF if I'm looking to be a firefighter but my heart is SET on the corps ever since high school. I am pretty familiar with the way things run about enlisting and such but still have a couple questions you might be able to answer.

If I DO NOT get my desired MOS 7051 for some reason, will I be able to use a selected secondary MOS to replace my first or how does that work. For example, if 7051 dosent work out or I am not needed, could I have my choice of lets say a flight medic (if the corps has one besides corpsman from navy)? Or would I simply be stuck doing whatever the corps needs me to do such as runway repairs/ maitenence (which is under the same general avation support as firefighting).

Sorry for all the questions but this is a huge decision I would be making to walk away from a civilian job (Firefighter Paramedic)that pays much more and you have the luxury of not being deployed or away from home. I have felt such a strong urge to serve my country ever since I was young and would be open to any suggestions or info you guys have for me. Thanks, Justin

One last question, I was told a while ago that in order for you to serve as an infantry soldier, you had to physically pick that MOS, and you cannot just be placed there, is this true?

Last edited by rabbit102; 04-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You either have a guaranteed mos upon enlisting or a what they call "open contract" meaning where the Marine Corps needs you. ie. grunt, armor, artillery, supply,food service,etc. Good luck, and keep a positive attitude in boot camp. You will be in the best shape of your life after bootcamp, guaranteed! Semper Fi.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing is guarantied, You may get the general field but not that specific MOS. When you enlist you pick 5-7 MOS's i believe. You can get anything they give you pretty much but you must qualify for the field with your ASVAB score.

If you have not talked to a recruiter(recommend seeing all five) to see what everyone has to offer, not just now but down the line also. Get a bonus try to get E-2 or E-3 work harder now so you get promoted faster later also. Any more Q's just ask.

Bill
Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Tenured Member

Easiest way to get the mos you want is to sign up as a reservist first then after school you can switch to active. I dont know if that mos is available to reservists or not but if it is do it that way you also get to go to school right away if you are a reservist, no waiting like the active guys have to.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well most people enlist as 03s. but weve had a few shitbags in our unit(6154) hmla-169. who got in trouble and we sent them groundside. so anytyhing is possible in the marine corps
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

yeah the **** bags are usually Air framers....
Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Teching In

You will not get a guarentee for the 7051 job but there is about 5 other jobs in the 70XX series that you may get. One of my previous was 7041 Aviation Operations..... and they told me I was going to legal when I signed. :-)
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKY
Easiest way to get the mos you want is to sign up as a reservist first then after school you can switch to active. I dont know if that mos is available to reservists or not but if it is do it that way you also get to go to school right away if you are a reservist, no waiting like the active guys have to.
Switching is not easy to do, Reserves have a quota just like Active. Talk to a few recruiters to find out about this.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Banned

just like its been said, your not guaranteed a specific MOS, but rather a MOS series (if it is on your contract). Make sure everything you have been told/promised is written on your contract before you sign it. Also, dont sign the papers until you can go into boot camp within 30 days, if you do this you will get a $3k sign up bonus. tell the recruiter you want contract PFC and the bonus.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cookba
just like its been said, your not guaranteed a specific MOS, but rather a MOS series (if it is on your contract). Make sure everything you have been told/promised is written on your contract before you sign it. Also, dont sign the papers until you can go into boot camp within 30 days, if you do this you will get a $3k sign up bonus. tell the recruiter you want contract PFC and the bonus.
As far as that goes, my civilian certifications count as college credits and I have enough to go in as E2 possibly E3 and would be looking at PFC already (I believe). I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open to all the information out there before I make my final decision. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS, KEEP IT COMING, THIS IS VALUABLE INFO FOR ME.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Banned

you can only go into the Corps as a E-2. In boot camp there is the possibility that you could get meritoriously promoted to LCpl, but thats unlikely.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Teching In

All is true about the MOS, you chose an Occ field and end up in the MOS where the Corps needs you. I wanted to be a Diesel Mech, even left 3 months early cause the recruiter told me it was the only way to be guaranteed it! Ended up being an Engineer, LOL. After my first enlistment I switched jobs (Lat Move) and became an Ammo Tech. Its been 20 years now! Time flies when your are having fun!! Just make sure anything that is promised to you is spelled out in the contract! Otherwise you are at the mercy of the Corps! As far as the E-3 out of boot camp...I was a Drill Instructor at Parris Island and the only E-3's we graduated were the contract E-2's that made Company Honor Graduates. If you go, just work hard and if you stay in most anything is possible. I started as a Private and I am an LDO Captain now. Hard work and keeping out of trouble goes a long way! Good luck!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SMOKY
One more thing...if you decide to go this route, let me know. i am on Inspector-Instructor duty now in SC and have a lot of insight as to the Reserve world. Those Recruiters will tell you the same cause they have quotas for Reservists they have to fill every month also!!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rabbit. I have a couple of questions for you. First, how old are you? Second, what certifications as a firefighter do you already hold? I was ARFF from 2002-2006 and I can tell you that if you have been a civilian firefighter for a while and already have all the certs that the Academy in Goodfellow (Air force base where military firefighters train) you will hate your decision. The Marine Corps fire-service is a joke. Under-funded, under-trained, and over-extended. I got my Firefighter 1, firefighter 2, Hazmat Operations, and ARFF in 2002. After that I got ONE certification for the rest of my enlistment. (Rescue Systems 1 from the California Department of Forestry) I'm not knocking the Marine Corps. I absolutely loved it. But from one firefighter to another, I don't recommend it. Also to answer your question about what happens if you don't get the ARFF mos..most guys end up in aviation ordnance or expeditionary airfield services.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Marinez28
All is true about the MOS, you chose an Occ field and end up in the MOS where the Corps needs you. I wanted to be a Diesel Mech, even left 3 months early cause the recruiter told me it was the only way to be guaranteed it! Ended up being an Engineer, LOL. After my first enlistment I switched jobs (Lat Move) and became an Ammo Tech. Its been 20 years now! Time flies when your are having fun!! Just make sure anything that is promised to you is spelled out in the contract! Otherwise you are at the mercy of the Corps! As far as the E-3 out of boot camp...I was a Drill Instructor at Parris Island and the only E-3's we graduated were the contract E-2's that made Company Honor Graduates. If you go, just work hard and if you stay in most anything is possible. I started as a Private and I am an LDO Captain now. Hard work and keeping out of trouble goes a long way! Good luck!
My mistake about the E-3, thanks for clearing that up. As far as my MOS decision goes, from what I've been hearing about their FF program, I might make a different decision about my MOS...Time to start looking again. Hard work and staying out of trouble has gotten me where I am today, Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Rabbit. I have a couple of questions for you. First, how old are you? Second, what certifications as a firefighter do you already hold? I was ARFF from 2002-2006 and I can tell you that if you have been a civilian firefighter for a while and already have all the certs that the Academy in Goodfellow (Air force base where military firefighters train) you will hate your decision. The Marine Corps fire-service is a joke. Under-funded, under-trained, and over-extended. I got my Firefighter 1, firefighter 2, Hazmat Operations, and ARFF in 2002. After that I got ONE certification for the rest of my enlistment. (Rescue Systems 1 from the California Department of Forestry) I'm not knocking the Marine Corps. I absolutely loved it. But from one firefighter to another, I don't recommend it. Also to answer your question about what happens if you don't get the ARFF mos..most guys end up in aviation ordnance or expeditionary airfield services.

El Diablo, I'm 19 yrs old , Hold a FireFighter 1 & 2 along with EVOC certification as well as an EMT national certification and I am currently attending Paramedic School going into my 2nd semester. I also plan on taking Hazmat ops this summer. I really love working with the city because you are always busy (every dept down here is Fire - Rescue so were running interesting medical calls and fire calls as well), but also lead a civilian lifestyle. I am afraid that if I get the spot, I will not see any action and might possibly regret taking that MOS. As far as not getting the ARFF mos, I DO NOT, REPEAT...DO NOT want to be in aviation ordanace etc, I'd rather be infantry (which is what I'm thinking about now). One of the deciding factors in enlisting is for action as well as to serve my country and I really dont want to be repairing runways/aviation ordanance if I enlisted to see action. Thanks for your info.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Teching In

If you want to talk about this pm me with a phone number and i will call you. I can answer some questions and give you some options to think about.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

^Sounds like a recruiter...Rabbit..Since you have the itch to serve your country/Marine Corps...look up Wackenhut Services, Iraq firefighting program. That's who I work for. Six figures, civilian, plenty of training/certification through the company, and I work with Marines every day. Best of both worlds.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

No recruiter here. Read my thread above, i was a drill instructor! I had to deal with the kids that were lied to by the recruiters!! People ask me about the Corps and i tell them the truth. Good and bad. You have to make your own decisions. Just trying to help.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
^Sounds like a recruiter...Rabbit..Since you have the itch to serve your country/Marine Corps...look up Wackenhut Services, Iraq firefighting program. That's who I work for. Six figures, civilian, plenty of training/certification through the company, and I work with Marines every day. Best of both worlds.
Hey, alot of people I know that I went to academy with wound up talking to wackenhut however, I heard you need 3 years experience prior ..is that correct?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Marinez28
No recruiter here. Read my thread above, i was a drill instructor! I had to deal with the kids that were lied to by the recruiters!! People ask me about the Corps and i tell them the truth. Good and bad. You have to make your own decisions. Just trying to help.
No offense was meant man! It was just one of those ribbings we all like to get in on recruiters. All in good fun. My recruiter was actually a pretty cool guy and didn't feed me any b.s. Ended up drinking beer with him on a pre-deployment exersize where we just ran into eachother a few years later.

Originally Posted by rabbit102
Hey, alot of people I know that I went to academy with wound up talking to wackenhut however, I heard you need 3 years experience prior ..is that correct?
They say three years but I've seen otherwise. If you know your head from your *** go ahead and send in an application after you get hazmat ops and see what happens man. If you handle this money right from your age you will be set for life. If you want to do this and you aren't married yet, DON'T get married. If I were single I'd do this job until it wasn't here to do anymore. I might do this for another year but after being in the Marine Corps with constant deployments and then doing this almost as soon as I got out I have decided that I miss my wife more than I like this job.

Quick Reply: More questions about enlisting USMC