Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Shin splints...oh the pain!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shin splints...oh the pain!

Okay so its really my fault and no excuse. I haven't really been keeping up with working out. And I have my commissioning PFT in a handful of days. So very painfully just finished up a 1.5 mile run (Air Force).

Happily I did it under 12 minutes. I really want to get better than an 85 (which previously has never been a problem for me...but I haven't worked out in 2 months...)

So really any way to postpone these shin splints? They really cropped up around half way (.7 mile mark).

Shoes are Asics GT2120 from the Army 10 miler a year ago. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get new shoes and run more!!!!

My wife just ran her PT test for the Af and ran a 12 flat and she hasnt ran since she had our last baby a year ago and she still outran all the girls and almost all the males in her unit. I think she scored like an 89.5 overall on the test.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the new shoes. Rub your shins with the ice. Get some small styrofoam cups, fill them with water and freeze them. The cups just make a nice handle and the size of them allow you to cover a bigger area. Edit: Also when you run try and keep your legs cool by not wearing long socks or non breathable material.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ice thing is exactly what the physical therapist told me here at SJ.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

I use to get them in high school, playing basketball. Wrap tape very tight around the spot it hurts and take about 1000mg of Ibuprofen before you run and they wont hurt till your done, but it will hurt like a bitch when you take the tape off.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by redrocketSS
I use to get them in high school, playing basketball. Wrap tape very tight around the spot it hurts and take about 1000mg of Ibuprofen before you run and they wont hurt till your done, but it will hurt like a bitch when you take the tape off.
Which part will hurt...my shin or the leg hair I will lose attempting to take the tape off?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Both, when the blood flows back into the shin area its going to throb but you will be good for the run
Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

more important than the age/mileage of your shoe is your foot type. when you buy shoes, consider your arch (high, normal, flat), stride (over/under pronate), and width. i used to just get any old shoes and had shin splints a lot. they finally told me at basic that my feet were wide and flat and becasue of that, i overpronate.

figure out your foot type, put in your specs at runnersworld.com, and you'll get a list of ideal shoes. once you get your ideal shoes and you run a little more often, you won't get shin splints anymore.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

^^ yup good idea i run 4 miles every morning, and never get shin splints in my running shoes. But when i'm running late for work and I have to walk fast or run in, on my regular shoes awwwww the pain almost to the point I have to stop walking lol
Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Teching In

I always stretch my shins on a curb(putting your toes on the curb and dropping your knee for about 10 seconds each side) or if you are ta a desk you can stretch by bringing your toes towards your knees 10 seconds each side. Just repeat these stretches a few times through out the day and they should dissapear. It worked for me till I ripped my tendons in my anckle, from a 12 mile road march. Now I can't run for long. But back to the subject these stretches should work.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

run in your boots for a few weeks. After the soreness goes away you wont get them any more.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Okay so its really my fault and no excuse. I haven't really been keeping up with working out. And I have my commissioning PFT in a handful of days. So very painfully just finished up a 1.5 mile run (Air Force).

Happily I did it under 12 minutes. I really want to get better than an 85 (which previously has never been a problem for me...but I haven't worked out in 2 months...)

So really any way to postpone these shin splints? They really cropped up around half way (.7 mile mark).

Thanks
Are you serious? I know that shin splints do hurt bad, I have had them before, but after .7 miles you do need to run a lot more if they hurt that soon at a slooow pace. Not really trying to bash you, just throwing the advice out there, the best store that I have been to is the athlete's foot, they looked at my foot type and stride when I was looking for new shoes.

One thing that I was told to do which have completely stopped me ever getting them is whenever you find time that you are standing around doing nothing, point your toes inward about 45 degrees and raise up onto your toes for a second and then back down no more then 100 reps a day. That made a world of difference for me back in the day and haven't had them in ages.

Originally Posted by primer84z
run in your boots for a few weeks. After the soreness goes away you wont get them any more.
It sounds like he just needs to run more period.... in shoes first.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

You need to stretch, strech and strech before and after your runs. I used to get them real bad in bootcamp 10 years ago. About 3 years ago I tore my MCL in my right knee and after recovering I had to train to get my run time down into the low 20's (USMC PFT). I have never been a good runner, but I have found that strectching, proper hydration, and motrin are your best tools when training. It wouldnt hurt to get new shoes either. Since you have a shortage of time I would suggest running sprints ie: 20 mins with 1 min jogs and 20 second sprints at 100%. We do this for PT twice a week and it has really transformed alot of us into better runners. HTH's
Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great info. I'm just getting back into running again and the shin splints are a bitch.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a profile!

No but on serious note I have them too. **** sucks and is really painful, but thats because I run about 15-20miles a week not to mention road marches.

Upgrade the shoes and stretch out good. You should try biking to get your cardio up while you let your shin splints heal a little. IMO
Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walk up some flights of stairs backwards. That is what the docs suggested to the Privates in my company when they come in and their little footsies can't hack it.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Walk up some flights of stairs backwards. That is what the docs suggested to the Privates in my company when they come in and their little footsies can't hack it.
this def does work
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StoleIt

Thanks
I went from being a high school cross country runner and a great runner when I came into the AF and then I ended up being barely able to run a mile without stopping because the pain was so bad in my lower legs. I quit running for a few years and then when the AF started the new PT program I knew something was wrong right away with my legs. Well I went to the doctors dozens of times and listened to every self proclaimed running expert in my squadron. "Get better shoes" "You have the wrong shoes" "Stretch more" "don't stretch" "Run like this" "try sprints" "start out slower" "Start out faster" yada yada yada. I was on a profile so many times that I was even making fun of myself. And anytime I had to walk fast in combat boots on any type of hills or anytime I had to walk any distance in the rubber chem boots I would think that I was going to die because the pain was so terrible. (Osan sucked for me the last time I was stationed there).

FINALLY after five years of hell and seriously considering walking away from the AF after 15 years because I didn't want to deal with it anymore, I found a doctor who wasn't an idiot and he diagnosed me with chronic compartment syndrome. I had surgery on both legs last Feb and he finally just released me to start running last week. My legs feel so much better and hopefully they stay that way.

It is a pretty underdiagnosed condition that many doctors aren't aware of. The diagnosis test was much worse than the actual surgery and recovery. Two doctors held me down while they stuck a very large gauge needle with a pressure gauge on it deep into the muscles around the shins. They do this both before and after you run. I counted a total of 24 needle sticks on my bloody legs when they were done. I have some scars on my legs from the surgery but my legs are so hairy that they don't look too bad.

So basically what I am trying to get to in my overly long response is that if the problem doesn't go away after you try changing shoes and adjusting your training, seek help.

Here is a description of CCS from http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/l...ies/a/leg3.htm

Chronic compartment syndrome is an unusual condition that causes nerve compression and pain, most often in the front of the lower leg. It occurs due to excessive muscle swelling during activity that puts pressure on these blood vessels and nerves, and results in pain, swelling, weakness and possibly loss of muscle coordination.
Causes of Compartment Syndrome
In the arms and legs, a tough tissued called a fascia surrounds the different muscle groups. This fascia is a small compartment that holds the muscles, blood vessels and nerves. It has limited flexibility so if the muscle swells beyond the fascia's ability to stretch it puts pressure is felt on the nerves and blood vessels in the small space. If swelling continues blood flow to the muscles will decrease, nerves get compressed and it can cause numbness or tingling in the feet and lower legs.

The most accurate way to diagnose this condition is to insert a needle into the compartment immediately after the activity that causes pain and measuring the pressure. Pressure reading that measures greater than 45 mmHg indicates compartment syndrome.

Compartment syndrome occurs more often in runners. Compartment Syndrome is often misdiagnosed as shin splints or stress fractures.

Treatment
Chronic compartment syndrome may be treated conservatively first, icing the lower leg after exercise to reduce swelling.

In many cases compartment syndrome is treated with surgery to release the fascia and allow more room in the compartment.

To avoid compartment syndrome, it is helpful to wear the right footwear, and run on soft surfaces. Decreasing training time and intensity may also limit the chance of this syndrome.

As with all sports related injuries a visit to a physician for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan is essential.

Quick Reply: Shin splints...oh the pain!