Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

end of service jitters...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default end of service jitters...

I'm going to get out of the Navy to see what else I can get myself into. I have 2 months left until i go on seperation leave then im a civilian again. It didn't start hitting me until a couple of days ago that I'm really almost done. The military has been good to me, but it is not for me anymore. Damn I'm nervous... what will my next job's challanges hold for me???
Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 AM
TECH Resident

congrats man. im sure you will be fine in the civilian world although i could imagine it takes some getting used to. what kind of career field are you in or looking into?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Business related mainly. I have a friend that is trying to hook me up with Hertz as a manager. If that doesn't work out, then my buddy down in GA is gonna put a good word in at the factory he works at. If that doesnt work out, then im gonna try the post office in GA. If all else fails, I might end up back here in OK, work on the farm, go to school, and then go from there.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, i was up in the air bout staying in or getting out! with how the economy is going to **** right now, i felt it was best to just stay in....yeah the military has some bullshit regulations and all but every job has that...honestly, the military is too easy man!!! i cant chance getting out and then worrying about the next car payment, rent and so fourth. but atleast u might have the hookup on a job right away.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Potential tuition grants for Vets + GI BIll = your *** in college!

College may not be for everyone, but it's worth a shot for most vets because the financial risk is greatly reduced.

I did my 6 in the navy, got out and went to school and havn't looked back. The maturity you have most likely gained in the military will help prepare you for college. You will most likely surprise yourself as to how good you can do in class when you are focused.

Good luck sailor!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Teching In

what part of oklahoma are you from?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

What was your job in the military?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Good luck man. I've said this in other posts and I'll say it again. I'm a reservist. Knowing what I know about the military and knowing what I know about civilian life, I would pick active duty. Man, it's tough out here. Living in North East Ohio might be part of it, but there isn't **** for jobs out there. You would be shocked at how low wages have become. And most GOOD jobs are starting to require Bachelors to even put in an app. Why? Because they can. There are plenty of starving college grads that will take what they can get.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GIJosh
Good luck man. I've said this in other posts and I'll say it again. I'm a reservist. Knowing what I know about the military and knowing what I know about civilian life, I would pick active duty. Man, it's tough out here. Living in North East Ohio might be part of it, but there isn't **** for jobs out there. You would be shocked at how low wages have become. And most GOOD jobs are starting to require Bachelors to even put in an app. Why? Because they can. There are plenty of starving college grads that will take what they can get.

THAT IS SOOOOOOO TRUE BRO!!! thats all i hear from my mom as well, is that there are no jobs out here!!! thats why it kills me when guys talk $Hit and get out!!

and thats bullshit that there are some jobs that u over-qualify for!! WTF!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
and thats bullshit that there are some jobs that u over-qualify for!! WTF!!
No its not BS. You can easily be overqualified for a position and wont get hired or even interviewed because they assume that based on your qualifications you will expect a salary that they arent going to pay for that position. The qualifications should range in the area for that position. Like for an entry level IT job you cant expect to walk in with a Masters in IT and get that job, you are overqualified.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brad8266
No its not BS. You can easily be overqualified for a position and wont get hired or even interviewed because they assume that based on your qualifications you will expect a salary that they arent going to pay for that position. The qualifications should range in the area for that position. Like for an entry level IT job you cant expect to walk in with a Masters in IT and get that job, you are overqualified.

i get what yur saying, but its just amazing that happens though. a couple of guys that just got out the air force that i talked to said that they were over qualified for some civilian position. if having a degree over qualifies you, then whats the point to have a degree if your just gonna be over qualified. but i cant imagine finding a job now that i have been in the military.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dylanwoods
what part of oklahoma are you from?
im stationed in oklahoma city... the navy in the middle of the country...go figure...lol

Originally Posted by brad8266
What was your job in the military?
well, my actual job and what i do are not the same...im an airframer by rate, but i work on a system that requires a bunch of different rate training...
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Good luck to the original poster; and if you get a chance...check out www.usajobs.com. It's a really helpful website; and they have a lot of military related jobs. Have you been to TAP class? I'm in the same boat as you, and it is a very stressful time. Have you been working on your resume?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1actsv
Good luck to the original poster; and if you get a chance...check out www.usajobs.com. It's a really helpful website; and they have a lot of military related jobs. Have you been to TAP class? I'm in the same boat as you, and it is a very stressful time. Have you been working on your resume?
ive been hitting up usajobs for the last 6 months about once a week...resume is done... and went to taps class a 6 months ago
Old 08-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Teching In

dude if you like your job- airframer(sheetmetal) there are a lot of good opportunities awaiting you. My buddy got out of the AF as a sheetmetal guy and now pulls down $75K working for Lockheed Martin.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Im in the same boat (no pun intended...). I am about to leave the Army. I am an Intelligence Analyst and have no idea wtf i want to do. I just know i want to leave. Possibly finish a degree (psychology? BS)???

Quick Reply: end of service jitters...