Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Alright Army folks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright Army folks...

Please explain to me how in the HELL you know if someone's rank from afar in uniform I try to be courteous to the 4th BCD here but I like to do it the right way, which for you guys is by rank.

Pointers on how to know if they are Sgt, SSgt, SFC, etc from afar? And yes I know which is which
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 AM
TECH Regular

Gotta pay close attention and scope out the ranks as they approach. Up close or indoors you rapidly learn to check the rank very quickly. Outside there is always a bit of danger.

The master sergeants can be tricky to pick out of the regular NCOs from a distance until you see quite a few of them. If it looks really tall (due to the 3 rockers) it's worth a second look to see if it's a master sergeant.

It's the first sergeants and sergeant majors that I usually have to get real close to tell. Day one at ft drum I addressed my 1st sgt as sgt major...as he was sitting at his desk & the door said sgt major. He lauged and said "Nah, I'm just a 1st sergeant, but I like the way you're thinking."

If it is a sergeant, SSG, or SFC they get respectfully addressed as sergeant anyway.

The tough one (tougher as the daylight goes away) is that single star which can easily be mistaken for an E4....a dangerous mistake. The butter bar and gold oak leaf can blend into the uniform very easily as the light fades as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Awake455
Gotta pay close attention and scope out the ranks as they approach. Up close or indoors you rapidly learn to check the rank very quickly. Outside there is always a bit of danger.

The master sergeants can be tricky to pick out of the regular NCOs from a distance until you see quite a few of them. If it looks really tall (due to the 3 rockers) it's worth a second look to see if it's a master sergeant.

It's the first sergeants and sergeant majors that I usually have to get real close to tell. Day one at ft drum I addressed my 1st sgt as sgt major...as he was sitting at his desk & the door said sgt major. He lauged and said "Nah, I'm just a 1st sergeant, but I like the way you're thinking."

If it is a sergeant, SSG, or SFC they get respectfully addressed as sergeant anyway.

The tough one (tougher as the daylight goes away) is that single star which can easily be mistaken for an E4....a dangerous mistake. The butter bar and gold oak leaf can blend into the uniform very easily as the light fades as well.
Thanks man guess I'll need to get my eyes checked wasn't sure if you guys were allowed to call E-5 to E-7 Sergeant or not, know the Marines got huffy about it
Old 08-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

MSG's are addressed as Sergeant too. Well, that's what the reg says. I generally play it safe and just call them Master Sergeant.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

just gotta have good eyes man, its hard to tell on the chest, sucks if theyre holding something too
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I saw an E4 start laying into two soldiers at outprocessing for R & R. Started off with "Let me tell you how it is here in the theater." The two soldiers had bag straps covering their rank. They patiently let the E4 finish before moving the bag straps. One was a captain, the other was a full bird. Then the lil E4 got ripped to shreds.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

You cant tell from far away really and really you dont need to be very concerned with someones rank if they are that far away. Now if their rank is covered up when they are close and you are going to speak to them then go ahead and ask what rank they are so you can act accordingly.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^best advice
Old 08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Officers are easy to spot from afar...their BDU's are clean. Ive always addressed E5-E8 Sergeant (or 1st SGT if it applies) and of course E9's SGM
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I saw an E4 start laying into two soldiers at outprocessing for R & R. Started off with "Let me tell you how it is here in the theater." The two soldiers had bag straps covering their rank. They patiently let the E4 finish before moving the bag straps. One was a captain, the other was a full bird. Then the lil E4 got ripped to shreds.
To be a colonel, you're typically at least in your late 30's. I don't know why the dumbass E-4 would rip into a guy who obviously appears to be at least 30, and thus probably at least higher than an E-4. I could understand the captain looking young and possibly being confused as junior enlisted, but usually when a colonel is walking around, you can tell that he's somebody without seeing his rank.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Teching In

One time I saw an army sgt. at the BX down in TX, and out of habit and not really knowing at the time, I just said "how are you, sir?"......Ill never make that mistake again. All he said was "I can always tell you Air Force kids." And at the time I wasnt in uniform and only been in the military for about 2 months.

So anything from E-5 to E-8 you can just call them Sgt. But at E-9 its SgtMaj?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

E5-E8 with no diamond = Sergeant
E8 with diamond= First Sergeant
E9 with and without reef= Sergeant Major

Thats how to address Army NCO's
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

What's funny is all the dumb marines here who will jump up and salute Chiefs/Senior Chiefs/Master Chiefs (E7s-E9s) on base here. I know they don't know any better (even though they technically should), and i guess it is kinda confusing for someone if they dont know any better since Chiefs wear khakis.

But it makes me laugh.

Whats really bad is when you're in bootcamp and you have to yell across a 4 lane street and greet someone, and you have to try and see if they're a Chief or an officer. Then if its a Chief, you have to try and squint to see a little star on top of the anchor for a senior chief. Master Chief is easy because the two stars on top are easy to spot, but Senior Chief is tough from afar.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good one.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Teching In

I've been in almost 10 and I still use the dumb Air Force "Sir" thing if I'm not sure. But I'm getting better with the sister services ranks. I've had a few funny looks but in teen years haven’t had my *** chewed for using "Sir". I did have an army E6/MTL? at one of the inter service games a few years back almost get mauled. I was responding to something and came up behind him and said excuse me sir. That’s when he turned on the whole DI/MTL routine before turning around and seeing who said the "Sir". I think he was kind of surprised to see a 225lb cop accompanied by a 80 Mal. Standing 5-6 inches over him. He said sorry. I said. No problem "Sir", but you might want to be a little more aware of your surroundings and less apt to jump into MTL mode, not every one here is a Cadet. He said your right. He asked if my dog would have really bit him. I said "He would have slowed your SOUL, if I would have let him".
Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Officers are easy to spot from afar...their BDU's are clean. Ive always addressed E5-E8 Sergeant (or 1st SGT if it applies) and of course E9's SGM
Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
What's funny is all the dumb marines here who will jump up and salute Chiefs/Senior Chiefs/Master Chiefs (E7s-E9s) on base here. I know they don't know any better (even though they technically should), and i guess it is kinda confusing for someone if they dont know any better since Chiefs wear khakis.

But it makes me laugh.

Whats really bad is when you're in bootcamp and you have to yell across a 4 lane street and greet someone, and you have to try and see if they're a Chief or an officer. Then if its a Chief, you have to try and squint to see a little star on top of the anchor for a senior chief. Master Chief is easy because the two stars on top are easy to spot, but Senior Chief is tough from afar.
I had a Navy Petty Officer tell me "Dude I don't know your rank for ****, what are you?" and I looked at him afterwards and said "Explain to me why in the hell you guys have to be different and change your SNCO uniforms and then put lil metal things in your flight caps" He just laughed and said ya'll were on LSD or something when you decided to do it
Old 08-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Teching In

The ARMY went to smaller rank on BDU'S because of lessons learned in Vietman because the large sleeve rank on the old greens allowed the bad guys to find the higher ranked enlisted and to shoot them first. The commisioned officer rank is easy too tell, but if you are looking at a female in an ARMY uniform try not to stare too long you could get introuble for sexual herassment!.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killed712
The ARMY went to smaller rank on BDU'S because of lessons learned in Vietman because the large sleeve rank on the old greens allowed the bad guys to find the higher ranked enlisted and to shoot them first. The commisioned officer rank is easy too tell, but if you are looking at a female in an ARMY uniform try not to stare too long you could get introuble for sexual herassment!.
most of the Army girls here are gargoyles who prolly wouldn't mind if I was staring. I just like to adapt to what the others are used to. I got a lot of respect with the Corps because I addressed them as their rank and not by "sir/ma'am" type things. I actually attempt to destroy the stereotypes that all AF ppl do is call eachother by their first names
Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

I cannot believe this has not been said.

The easy way to tell outside is to look at the beret. If they are a officer then it will have their rank. If they are enlisted it will have the unit crest. Other then that you have to wait untl they are right on top of you to tell with ACUs
Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lrry93
I cannot believe this has not been said.

The easy way to tell outside is to look at the beret. If they are a officer then it will have their rank. If they are enlisted it will have the unit crest. Other then that you have to wait untl they are right on top of you to tell with ACUs
Thats not the easy way because many DUI's on the beret can look like officer rank from a distance.

Quick Reply: Alright Army folks...