Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

2011 GT H/C/I makes 507hp N/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
I don't know where people are getting this but, the new 5.0 weighs less than an LS3.
No, it actually doesn't..
Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Quick search on google says Crate LS3 weighs approx 415 pounds thats including the crate material.

The 5.0 on google says crate weight is approx 430 pounds. Allbaugh is correct the 5.0 does weigh more... 15 pounds is not a big difference though.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda sad that it weighs almost as much as the 7.0L LS7 though...
Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Kinda sad that it weighs almost as much as the 7.0L LS7 though...
It has a lot more parts that make up the engine so i dont see it as a sad thing. Is 15lbs really going to matter? No
Old 02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its just funny to see everyone crying foul...these are probably the same people that said the Coyote would never hit the 500 hp mark n/a. surprise, surprise. anyone else want to doubt this motor? post it now or forever hold your peace. just to put it out there, i dont own a ford, but i am not narrow-minded either.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
its just funny to see everyone crying foul...these are probably the same people that said the Coyote would never hit the 500 hp mark n/a. surprise, surprise. anyone else want to doubt this motor? post it now or forever hold your peace. just to put it out there, i dont own a ford, but i am not narrow-minded either.
Okay, I'll go first. I doubt this engine will ever make within 10ft/lbs of its horsepower peak N/A.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSXNV
You have a 500hp 5.0 in car that weighs 3500lbs.

You have a 500hp LS3 in a car that weighs 3500lbs.

Which one wins? LS3 EVERY time.
And what facts do you have to prove that?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Okay, I'll go first. I doubt this engine will ever make within 10ft/lbs of its horsepower peak N/A.
Who cares? It's an 11 second car with intake, tune, and drag radials.. It costs 27K, and will stop a new one into any of the other cars in it's segment, for 10k less.

Just because it's not a big, burly, huge stroke, pushrod engine, doesn't mean that it can't compete. The powerband is different, but, that's what they make close ratio gear boxes for. If you've driven a new Mustang, you would know this. The car is not a dog by any means.

Travis
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have said from the beginning this motor is legit. Its a very nice piece from ford. However, I will always choose simplicity over complexity and I will always choose low/mid torque to 6k+ hp for a street car. Not knocking ford but its not my cup of tea. I do think ford got the package right. Their mustang has stayed light, nimble, able to handle, and priced right. Its competition, not so much.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trav4011
Who cares? It's an 11 second car with intake, tune, and drag radials.. It costs 27K, and will stop a new one into any of the other cars in it's segment, for 10k less.

Just because it's not a big, burly, huge stroke, pushrod engine, doesn't mean that it can't compete. The powerband is different, but, that's what they make close ratio gear boxes for. If you've driven a new Mustang, you would know this. The car is not a dog by any means.

Travis
Sorry, but there are MANY 4th GEN Fbodys that are 11 Second cars with Intake,Tune, Exhaust, Gears, Drag radials that cost a HELLUVA A LOT Less than 27K!

And if you want to start check stock ported head and cam the LS1 has been a better Powerband (hp/tq) with the Cartek 4x setup.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where in the hell would I get an '11 GT for 27k?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Travis
There in lies my issue, I HAVE driven one. A black 6speed. Just cruising around town it has no *****. I dont want to have to sling the engine past 6k to feel something. Its great on the track. But my daily commute doesn't consist of a drag strip. My LT1 with a 4.10 gear feels better down low and a 6.0 GTO feels better then both of them all around.

All in all, the mustang and its engine are great. It makes good power for its size. But its a toy, its not good all around because it is such a high revving engine. If I wanted a toy, I wouldn't pay $30k for it then go to work on it. I would build the engine myself and put it in something nice. Thats just me. I am a torque junky. You can blame my old Pontiac engines for that.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by White Shadow
And what facts do you have to prove that?
The LS3 makes more torque then the 5.0 at the same horse power level. That simply translates into a win. The only way around this is giving the LS3 a gearing disadvantage.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

What about driveability?

Does a 500whp N/A LS motor have the same street manners as a 500whp N/A 5 liter? I doubt it..

Having VTC lets us do a LOT with this new Ford engine. The cams in the engine in question are nothing more than slightly larger factory regrinds. They cost 799.00 IIRC. The car does not lope AT ALL. The heads are just mildly cleaned up. It still has the stock valves, springs, and retainers. So, you know that it's not a very aggressive setup. This is just the tip of the iceburg for what this engine can (and will) do in the coming years.

This car does not lope at all. It sounds like a stock engine with bolt-on's. It doesn't smell like a rolling gas station, and it still gets 25-26mpg on the highway. It doesn't need a 4K rpm stall.. It'll run in the 10's on slicks, with full interior, and you can drive it home with the A/C blasting when you're finished.

What's not to like about it? Because Ford built it? I've built and owned both GM and Ford vehicles. I know what it takes to build both, and they are both completely different animals. The LS family of engines is nice, but, having a 4 valve OHC engine, with VTC is where it's at. You can tune the cam timing for good bottom end, and street manners.. then, let it rip at high RPM. It really is the best of both worlds.

Travis

I chuckled at this post. Come on man u know goddam well that a 500 hp ls3 can have the same if not better street manners than this 5.0. Ls guys are running 10's through a six speed, Hell even on a 3.4k stall, Some lower than that. Im not hating on ford not one bit. But lets state the facts here.

1. this is a very mildly built 5.0 every thing is still new to the market they will be faster.

2. There is not a V8 engine on the market now that will out due the price of building a ls anything.

3. The ls platform is older there is alot of R&D out for it.

4. There is no replacement for displacement N/A. A built 346 will carry more tq under the curve than a 5.0 hands down thats law and physics.

So dont take this the wrong way this is Tech not FOX NEWS, State the facts not what u think is right.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
It has a lot more parts that make up the engine so i dont see it as a sad thing. Is 15lbs really going to matter? No
well the engine will also carry the weight higher which will not beneficial and because of the nature of the motor it will take up more space, but neither of those are really too big of a deal though.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I chuckled at this post. Come on man u know goddam well that a 500 hp ls3 can have the same if not better street manners than this 5.0. Ls guys are running 10's through a six speed, Hell even on a 3.4k stall, Some lower than that. Im not hating on ford not one bit. But lets state the facts here.

1. this is a very mildly built 5.0 every thing is still new to the market they will be faster.

2. There is not a V8 engine on the market now that will out due the price of building a ls anything.

3. The ls platform is older there is alot of R&D out for it.

4. There is no replacement for displacement N/A. A built 346 will carry more tq under the curve than a 5.0 hands down thats law and physics.

So dont take this the wrong way this is Tech not FOX NEWS, State the facts not what u think is right.
The LS3 makes more torque then the 5.0 at the same horse power level. That simply translates into a win. The only way around this is giving the LS3 a gearing disadvantage.

this thread just gets better and better
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
this thread just gets better and better
It Sure does get better and better! Everyday another mustang owner post up on to LS1tech.com to promote the DOHC VVT 5.0l. Then gets argues driveability, Torque, Weight, Peak HP numbers, etc... on why we should look out for the MUSTANG but post very little factual info. Other than a DYNO graph with no SAE correction Factor, compression Ratio Info, Fuel info, or even a FULLY installed Price!

Even worse they get hurt that some of the LSx crowd isnt impressed that you put almost $7K into the car to make 507HP @ 7600rpm and matched the Torque curve of a 4-clydr WRX.

Want to impress us?!? Stick with the 03/04 Cobras! Its the best out of the box chassis and power plant combo youve had in YEARS!!

I guess your own Mustang supporter, TRAV4011 described your 5.0L best!
Having VTC lets us do a LOT with this new Ford engine.
Travis
VTEC YO!!!!

Last edited by 06X6spdGTO; 02-24-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Very Nice...
Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You have a 500hp 5.0 in car that weighs 3500lbs.

You have a 500hp LS3 in a car that weighs 3500lbs.

Which one wins? LS3 EVERY time.
Which one is cheaper to build to that level? LS3 every time.

So what motor do you want in your car?

Granted, its pretty cool it made the number it did. And I love high revving engines (Ferrari's engines are pure sex).

Plain and simple, torque wins races and horsepower is for showing off. Its the area under the curve that matters, not the peak. And that's were the LSx's shine. Ford doesn't have that part down quite yet.
and whats your point, from the looks of it you dont have a LS3...or a LS motor at all?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
and whats your point, from the looks of it you dont have a LS3...or a LS motor at all?
I think his point is Torque Wins Races! Plain and simple. Compare a 480RWHP N/A LS2 vs a 480whp Blown LS2 in the same gearing/platform. Even tho both make the same Peak HP the Torque of the Blown car will WALK the N/A car ALL DAY (considering theres no Heat Soak that is)

Quick Reply: 2011 GT H/C/I makes 507hp N/A