Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

"Cammed" 5.0 Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

FWIW Ford will be offering something similar (not as extreme of a difference) on the new Boss coming out. It will be changed with a different ignition key there are two different tunes loaded into the ecu.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks this is dumb? You get people thinking that your car is cammed without the power to back it up. I guess if your not racing it and just want the sound it works but I'd rather it sounded more stock and ran like a cammed car than the opposite
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make plenty of power stock. I think its kinda pointless as well unless it adds power. But if you want the cam 'sound' without doing anything but loading up an e-mail tune its kinda neat I guess.

My car idles and drives like stock and runs 10s, I'd rather have that then a car that idles like a pro stock and runs 12s.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
Am I the only one that thinks this is dumb? You get people thinking that your car is cammed without the power to back it up. I guess if your not racing it and just want the sound it works but I'd rather it sounded more stock and ran like a cammed car than the opposite
It does have the power.. Its essentially a cammed car from the factory with the ability to idle like stock.

You could do this with a pushrod motor but chevy does need to develop more DOHC motors because as much as pushrods are perfectly ok.. with the addition of technologies like DI and variable vane turbos ect offering a pushrod motor today is like offering a modern car with drum brakes. Even though a manufacturer could easily make them work just as well as discs peoples view of them is they are archaic.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Wow thats pretty cool.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sciff5
It does have the power.. Its essentially a cammed car from the factory with the ability to idle like stock.

You could do this with a pushrod motor but chevy does need to develop more DOHC motors because as much as pushrods are perfectly ok.. with the addition of technologies like DI and variable vane turbos ect offering a pushrod motor today is like offering a modern car with drum brakes. Even though a manufacturer could easily make them work just as well as discs peoples view of them is they are archaic.
Ah gotcha...I havent read much about these yet I just know they perform very well straight from the factory which is finally nice to see.

Actually have a race setup with a smartass kid whos dad bought him a 5.0 after wrecking his evo. Not too worried as he cant drive but with a good driver about what would need to be done to an LS1 to hang with these 5.0s?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It technically does add power like if you watch the video i posted. they can change every single aspect of it at any rpm they want like the valve overlap etc. thus increasing the power. They can also do the same thing with aftermarket cams which could be a great thing also

Ah gotcha...I havent read much about these yet I just know they perform very well straight from the factory which is finally nice to see.

Actually have a race setup with a smartass kid whos dad bought him a 5.0 after wrecking his evo. Not too worried as he cant drive but with a good driver about what would need to be done to an LS1 to hang with these 5.0s?
Really just depends on the driver. If he can really drive the car and is bone stock (with slicks though) I have seen one personally run 12.4 @ 115 But the weather was pretty fantastic that day as well. I would say they would be 12.8-12.4 @ 112-115
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've seen one trap 111-112mph the same day my car went 110mph (was slightly hitting the rev limiter) but only 13.2 due to wheel hop.

my little brothers with CAI and tune from Evolution went 8.17@90mph in the 1/8th on street tires with a 1.97 60ft. My brother's car doesn't get wheel hop.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh nevermind then I thought they were in the elevens for some reason, he defineately wont be a problem. I really need to sit down and start reading I havent been paying attention to any of the new stuff very closely.

Either way 12.4 is pretty awsome for a stock factory car on a good tire and I actually think they look great. I saw a black one the other day and it had those black fivestar rockstar wheels that everyone with a truck and their effing mother have...with the chrome star in the middle, and they were probably 18's on a 5.0 and it looked SICK! First time I saw a set of them on a car and not a lifted truck
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Im not a ford guy but........ The new wave is on its way.... Thats why the new corvette will have a setup like this soon. Its unavoidable. My wife works for ford and i must say they are working hard to make a good product. I have driven one... they run good. She has some friends at work who bought a few of em. I still think its funny my 10 year old z06 is still faster tho... a stock 02 z will trap 117-118 LOL
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Teching In

From the tuner's mouth, well keyboard..

"No real performance gains. It is strictly idle only. TiVCT allows independant cam timing both the intake and exhaust valves across the entire rpm range. So the idle angles have no affect on the wot angles....Also, it has nothing to do with the "Track key". "

Even it it's only for the idle sound - why not do it?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

This one sounds bad even without long tubes. Corsa Extreme axle back mufflers, a CAI, custom cat deletes, a PPC 93 octane performance tune with the "cammed idle"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzN5xr7o6E

Here one with complete stock exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_R6Fw_vOU