Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Paypal = Bent Over without the vaseline....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paypal = Bent Over without the vaseline....

I will warn you ahead of time, this is rather LONG. I want to share a buyer beware horror story about Paypal with you. This is still a little fresh in my mind (and my wallet is still burning) so please dont be offended if I go off the deep end about the $134+ I lost through Paypal.

Here is scenario.. I purchased these transmission lines from Ebay auction :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...BSAA%3AUS%3A11

and this is what I received :

OK, now we are done with show, its time for the TELL part...

I bought the stainless braided lines on ebay 05-25-06 and paid within moments of the auction closing.. I heard nothing from the seller until I received a postal email advising me of a tracking number for an item shipped on 05-30-06.

One week goes by, and no shipping details have been updated on the post office website. 1st email sent to the seller goes unanswered.

I wait about 5-6 days and send off a 2nd email to the seller goes unanswered by the seller (this puts me into around June 10-12th.)

3rd Unanswered email to the seller gets fired off a couple days after this, around June 15th advising seller that future lack of response is going to result in a PayPal Dispute. I know that you will find it very hard to believe, that they didnt respond to this email either so lets just fast forward to the Paypal dispute.

June 18th, I notify Paypal that I want to enter the dispute process, only then to FINALLY receive a response from the vendor, at this point I am thinking WAHOOOO !! I am going to get my lines, they claim the lines were shipped out 05-30-06 as in the post office email, oddly enough the post office NEVER shows anything being shipped at this point. They only show the electronic transmittal paperwork being started but no activity past that.

3 days later (oddly enough, exactly the time the post office takes to delivery priority mail from when I started the dispute) a package arrives !!! I was like FINALLY.. Only to open it up and see the blue bulk hose and the press on fittings shown above and NOT the stainless lines pictured in the auction. Within 1 hour, I am back at the post office shipping the BOGUS parts back to the vendor. I acqure a tracking number and escalate the status of the PayPal dispute to full MEDIATION BY PAYPAL.

Here's where the fun really begins...June 21st the escalation begins between paypal and myself. By this time, I figuire its a done deal, I have all the proof of returning the part and I should be receivng my $134.29 back.. June 27th I receive the following email from paypal :

PayPal has concluded our investigation into your claim.

Transaction Date: May 25, 2006
Transaction Amount: -$134.29 USD
Seller's Name: Carla Dawson
Seller's Email: carlalovests@charter.net

In response to your claim, the seller has provided proof of shipment indicating that the item was shipped to you. Because the seller was able to provide proof of shipment, we cannot reverse this transaction or issue a refund. We encourage you to continue to work directly with the seller to amicably resolve this matter.

PayPal does not tolerate fraud or illegal activities. Your complaint has been noted in the record of the PayPal user you reported. If we find this user has violated our policies, we will investigate and take appropriate action. If this occurs, you may be contacted in the future about the status of this complaint.

To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest you visit the PayPal site and click the Security Center link located at the bottom of any page. There you will find tips on how to avoid fraudulent sellers in the "Fraud Prevention Tips for Buyers" section.

As you can well imagine, I am totally pissed at this point. I proceed to contact PayPal directly via the telephone.. First contact was a person named JACK (who didnt know JACK !) Paypal is telling me that I am stuck for the $134, and that since the seller provided proof that something was shipped (ANYTHING, they really DONT care what was shipped) they are done and I no longer have any dispute rights. PERIOD.. Of course this escalates further into me talking to Jack's Supervisor "Allyson". This lady has slightly more intelligence, and proceeds to tell me how great Paypal is, and that they are "protecting my personal and financial information from sellers" I am like, well so doesnt my credit card, why use you ? They would have refunded my money by now.. This conversation ends up in a 30 minute battle over the phone.. Which results in the following action, Paypal has agreed to offer me an "APPEAL" but since I lost the first dispute chances are, it most likely, wouldnt be overturned. I offered the following analogy :

Sell a diamond ring on ebay for $500 for example. I can sell this item on ebay and wait until the person purchasing this auction files a dispute through paypal... Then as long as I can provide proof that I shipped them ANYTHING, I get to keep the $500, yes.. I can even ship them a box of DOGSHIT and they dont care !! so long as I can provide proof that SOMETHING was sent they will side in my favor !!! I cant believe this.. The operator at PayPal admitted this is the case however quickly cautioned that this is indeed FRAUD (NO REALLY ?? WOW !! Why dont you protect your members then from this activity ??).

She claims that there is indeed NO RECOURSE through paypal for this scenario and I am welcome to contact either or both of the following websites:

Internet Fraud Complaint Center - http://www.ic3.gov
National Fraud Information Center - http://www.fraud.org

[sarcasm] Yeah, I am sure they are going to be all over the $134 I lost, like they dont have larger cases to research and prosecute !! [/sarcasm]

OK, so now the Appeal has been filed and I receive an email from paypal asking for a complete history of the transaction (it was already listed in the dispute transaction history already, but remember the paypal monkeys CANT read and dont really want to settle anything anyhow.)

Withing 24 hrs I am to receive a response after I file my side of the story which I completed ASAP with the following email :

The auction in question is for some transmission oil cooler lines. The
auction clearly shows lines that are pre-made from stainless braided lines
with machine assembled ends (in most cases LEAK FREE). I have uploaded a
picture of the AUCTION HOSE here:
http://www.turbols6.com/albums/4L80e-Trans/abq.jpg

The item received was an "self assembly" setup thats proven to be leak
proned over time. If I wanted to purchase a do it yourself kit I would have
gone to my local hardware store and purchased the appropriate fittings and
rubber hoses (similar to what was actually received) for a fraction of what
I paid in this auction.

The lines pictured in the auction are braided stainless which is resistant
to damage and vibration due to their very design, whereas the hose received
is merely rubber hose and not as resistant to damage because the hose does
NOT have the braided covering. This is what I actually received from the
vendor:
http://www.turbols6.com/albums/4L80e-Trans/abh.jpg

The item received was promptly returned to the vendor immediately after its reception and was noted as not being the same and a credit was asked for as well as notification of the impending paypal dispute (the USPS tracking# for the return is: 0306 0320 0001 6653 9194 ). www.usps.gov shows it being received at the sellers location on 06-26-06.

Every attempt to contact the vendor on my part has gone UNANSWERED, the only email that was answered was when the initial paypal dispute was filed. That was the only time I heard from the seller. Their account on Ebay has also been suspended so I have no recourse through ebay since they are "NO LONGER A REGISTERED USER".

The auction clearly states the following:
You are bidding on a new set of Performance Stainless Steel Braided
Transmission cooler lines!
Custom -6 Stainless Steel Braided transmission lines.

Rated at 3000 PSI.
-100F to +450F Operating Temperatures.
Extremely Flexible!

This kit includes;

a.. Stainless -6 kit with one 54" and one 66" line.
b.. Adapter fittings for your radiator.
c.. Adapter fittings for your transmission.

What was received clearly shows in the pictures was NOT what was pictured or described in the auction. I have done all I know how to do, I dont know how else to get a response from the vendor. I attempted to locate their information in directory assistance. Every phone number has been disconnected or is no longer in service. Any emails I send go unanswered. Ebay has suspended their account. I really do NOT know what else to do in
order to reach this vendor and ask for a credit. Should you require anything additional from me, please let me know.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Continued from above post ....

Shortly after my email to paypal, I receive this response to the "APPEAL"

Dear Todd,

Hello my name is Cheri.

PayPal understands your concern and desire to resolve the dispute in question. However, once a claim has been canceled, it is considered resolved and cannot be reopened.

Should you have the need to file another claim in the future, we suggest that you do not cancel the claim until you have received the merchandise or a refund.

We encourage you to continue to work with the seller for a mutual
resolution. You can seek other avenues of resolution such as an auction website if one was used to conduct this transaction. We value your business and regret that you have had this experience. To avoid similar experiences in the future, we recommend that you read our dispute resolution policy by clicking on https://www.paypal.com/bcp You may also copy and paste the
entire link into the address bar.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,
Cheri
Protection Services Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

OK, so since THEY CANCELLED the 1st dispute (NOT ME) I am going to pay for it.. Because their rule is, ONE SHOT ONLY.. I dont get it... The monkeys at PayPal must be eating TAINTED BANANAS !!!

So at this point heres where I stand:

1. Paypal advises me to contact the seller, Of course I have 3 times with no response, now that they have my $$$ and the product I'm sure they will be quick to respond.

2. Paypal has washed their hands of the entire scenario, they are clearly SELLER ORIENTATED and could give a **** about the purchaser.

3. My wallet is $134.29 Lighter and I dont have a single thing to show for it except an increasing headache.

4. The Ebay USER ID has been suspended so I have little to no recourse through ebay.

Here is what I would strongly suggest to anyone that has made it this far and is still coherent after reading all this...

1. AVOID PAYPAL

2. Obviously the 1st thing is hard to do because most ebay vendors embrace paypal with open arms. So do NOT have it linked directly to your checking account.. Link it to a CREDIT CARD so you have further recourse through them and obviously more rights !

3. Always apply a very LIBERAL COAT of vaseline when filing a claim through paypal !

Here are some additional Facts concerning the fraudulent vendor

Ebay ID is/was cpperformancesales
Person's Name is: Carla Dawson

She has 2 residences on record:

901 S Main Street
Auxvasse MO 65231-2210
phone # 573-386-2059 <-- Of course that is DISCONNECTED

and

920 Norwich Drive
St Charles MO 63301-1578
phone # 636-724-2869 <-- Also disconnected

email address is cpperf@centurytel.net

No doubt this is NOT over.. I am going to continue to follow this and attempt to recover my $$, I wanted to share this so potential buyers on PAYPAL realize they really have NO RIGHTS if the seller provides proof of shipment.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Old Drag Racer

I'm truly sorry to hear about your situation. Too bad the person(s) and address(es) you have probably either don't exist or are some long since abandoned warehouse(s). It's too bad that the scammers seem to outnumber the honest sellers over the internet. And then since paypal is a co-conspirator there's hardly anyone that will take up your fight for you. Good luck in trying to resolve this without bringing Vinnie and Guido (the universal hit men) into the matter. I'm afraid you're going to need the luck.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at what I found when browsing for LS1 parts (member since June 13th 2006):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...01193175QQrdZ1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-T...01193687QQrdZ1

Don't know if it is the same person or not, but thjat looks like the same pic to me.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I've been hearing about this alot lately. Basically it's like you said. As long as they can provide Paypal with a tracking # then Paypal tells you tough **** and thats the end of it.

And yeah those auctions are probably the same scammer. Odd thing is they have a link to this site in their ad:
http://paypalsucks.com/
Old 06-30-2006, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

yup!

i bought 2 ls6 intakes, i was shipped an empty can of some protein ****, and since he provided a tracking #, i lost the case, but i said fawk it, kept on appealing and contacted my bank and i kept on bitching. at the end, he had no money, so i won, but i got ****. until i called, and they credited my acct, and put him in the negative.

you just hae to keep bitching/crying/moaning bro...

you aint got **** to lose!

i work for cust service, once they ask for a supv, and then a manger and then corp # or address, they are gonna get what they want. corp dont like to fight for 100-200 bucks so they give in to make the client happy.

keep fighting it bro
Old 06-30-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man I really hate that ****. But I do feel paypal is having to take on a burden it shouldnt have to.eBay (which owns paypal) should be the one having to get your money back, since it was their site thats harvesting scammers, paypals just doing what its told transfering money from you to him and vice versa. Id go straight to the credit card company, they give you your money and it comes out of paypals account, then paypal gets pissed and goes after the scammer. I really think eBay needs to get its **** together. Ive personally contacted ebay about and auction that was total bs, used some image linked on my site, for a part that wasnt even in the pic! And the auction wasnt cancelled for a few days. I also think law enforcement should start cracking down. You do this **** in a store, you go to jail. You do it online, and a cold shoulder is turned. Some people, how should I put it, are just worthless pieces of ****.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Second Club

Default My .02

I had run-in with eBay / PayPal;

I ordered(auction won) speakers and never got 'em. NO contact could be made with seller, eventually the user's account was closed. eBay / PayPal was NO help .. pretty much the same thing you went through. If you'll notice .. PayPal STRONGLY recommends you use your personal account .. they even spew some B.S. about not getting any PayPal securities if you don't( ). as you KNOW, there's NO such thing!

So, what saved me (my funds) was I used my CitiBank Visa to complete the transaction. I disputed (made a claim through them) the transaction with Citibank. Citibank returned my funds (they warranty anything you purchase mail order or net .. maybe even over the counter).

eBay / PayPal had a FIT!!!!!!!! ..... locked my eBay account until the matter was resolved (approx. 3 mos). They even sent me emails whining about "you should have settled it through eBay / PayPal" .. yeah, .. I think they're eating "tainted bananas"!

Unless someone has a 98/100%, I'm using my Visa!!!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:24 AM
10 Second Club

920 Norwich Drive
St Charles MO 63301-1578
phone # 636-724-2869 <-- Also disconnected
this address is 15 miles from me and right by my friends house. If these anything i can do let me know. I almost ordered them a month or two ago so i am kinda pissed
Old 06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I want to Thank You Guys that email me this. It really Bites, and I was bidding and almost Got-Bit. I did contact the Seller asking ? and the email and website are...JohnB

Derek Dawson
CP Performance Parts
www.cp-performance.com
cpperf@charter.net
Old 06-30-2006, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds more like an ebay problem. POS scammers should be shot.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paypal and Ebay are owned by the same entity I think. Paypal and ebay is a joke. They do no protect buyers at all. They make thier money from the seller and not the buyer so they have a direct conflict of interest when deciding cases. I believe there is something illegal about what they do but I'm not a lawyer. Individualy its petty theft and isnt a big deal but collectively its huge. Ebay doesnt care what gets sold or who gets ripped off. They make money from a sale and thats all they care about.
Its the perfect weapon for a scam artist
Old 06-30-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.cp-performance.com/catalog.html

His web site has that same picture on it.

Phone number 573-474-8500 on the web site... Might give him a call.

And I wonder why there's a "No Paypal" icon now on his new auctions...
Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he IS scamming people full time, then he will probably stop using Paypal. Which is another flag for scamming. Paypal does suck at times, but sometimes they will take their money back (buyers can scam newbie sellers). By only accepting Money Orders, then it gets even harder to track the guy down. The few times that I have got screwed around online, I make sure to try and help out potential buyers/bidders by contacting them and informing them of the situation.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You are basically taking a chance of losing your money each and everytime you buy something on ebay because they suck at resolving claims and they make it so easy for anyone to setup and account to start selling stuff.

When I do buy something on there I pay thru paypal but I make sure to pay from a credit card account cause the card companies are usually pretty good in helping you get your money back if something were to happen.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

I filed a "claim" with PayPal as well and it was a total waste of time.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Look at what I found when browsing for LS1 parts (member since June 13th 2006):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...01193175QQrdZ1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-T...01193687QQrdZ1

Don't know if it is the same person or not, but thjat looks like the same pic to me.
Looks like this thread may have helped because his auctions have been pulled.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I work in St. Charles, MO...I'd be willing to swing by that address
Old 07-01-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what a crock, I sold a playstation game on ebay and forgot ot put the game in the case when I sent it. . . dude disputed with paypal before even trying to talk to me. I sent him the game as soon as I knew about the mistake. paypal decided in his favor due to "item significantly not as described"? which is exactly what you had. Why did this guy win against me for me forgetting to put a game in a case, yet you lose with all of that proof? It doesn't make sense
Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z_driver1
what a crock, I sold a playstation game on ebay and forgot ot put the game in the case when I sent it. . . dude disputed with paypal before even trying to talk to me. I sent him the game as soon as I knew about the mistake. paypal decided in his favor due to "item significantly not as described"? which is exactly what you had. Why did this guy win against me for me forgetting to put a game in a case, yet you lose with all of that proof? It doesn't make sense
I agree what the hell it all returns back to the tainted banana theory.

Quick Reply: Paypal = Bent Over without the vaseline....