Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Creman
if I bought a new car and it had a scratch on it I would expect a refund. Even if it was "ok and in working condition". If I pay the price for something new, it needs to be new. The shipper decided what store to ship it with, he needs to deal with the shipping company but it is still his responsability.
ugh...even a scratch underneath the car? Cause thats what these scratches are. They are in places you wont see.

Ya just can't please some people.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

if I bought a new car and it had a scratch on it I would expect a refund. Even if it was "ok and in working condition". If I pay the price for something new, it needs to be new. The shipper decided what store to ship it with, he needs to deal with the shipping company but it is still his responsability.
Have you ever bought a new turbo before? They have small scratches all over them. Just like in the pictures of this one.

I'd say file a claim with UPS but they aren't going to do anything. There are no holes in the box and the turbo looks just fine.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Launching!

It'd be different if this was a polished roots blower or something
Old 10-22-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

NO dealership would refund your money! They would fix the scratch! If you had it shipped from a dealership across country to your house and the person who was taking it off the trailer at your house scratched it while backing it on to your driveway, the shipper would pay for it!!! And if the shipper loaded it incorrectly onto the trailer when he picked it up at the dealership to deliver to your house and it bounced around on the trailer and it got scuffed up, the dealership would not send the guy his money back for the car, the SHIPPER would pay to fix the damages!!!! Sure, the dealership would feel bad that it happened, but they didn't deliver the car, the shipping company did!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Phildo, I have read every post in this thread thoroughly. So I understand the situation as best as anyone on the outside can understand it. If your turbo is damaged, you absolutely deserve a refund!! Does that mean oufan owes you money back out of his pocket? I don't believe so. He took a brand new, undamaged turbo to the shipper, paid for the shipping insurance, and it was out of his hands at that point. Since UPS will only deal with the seller (oufan), then oufan should (and has offered to) go to UPS with the damage claim. If the turbo is damaged, UPS should refund you the money.

You have said it is unacceptable for you and oufan to have to deal with UPS and wait on the money, because you don't want to have to wait. Dude!!! Seriously. You are claiming damage on a part that we can't see is damaged, and you aren't willing to wait for oufan to go to UPS? He, as well as several of us, have told you that you have shown no damage to the turbo, and virtually no damage to the box. The turbo has surface scratches. UPS will not refund money for surface scratches!!! oufan should not have to either.

Get the turbo checked out. If it is damaged, tell oufan. At this point (although I can't speak for him), I am more than sure that oufan will truly go after UPS. If the turbo was damaged and you had been able to show oufan that it was damaged, I can guarantee you that he would have gone right after UPS and gotten you your insurance money! You are going to have to be patient at this point. You are going to be out some time. That sucks!! It sucks that you feel you got a damaged part! It sucks for you and oufan that you have to deal with this crap! But this is where you are! Keep your cool and deal rationally with oufan, and I'm sure you will get more accomplished!

By the way, we Oklahoman's are just fine. The guys I know that have been posting in this thread have a lot of integrity, and would NEVER rip someone off. We are just loyal to our friends, and we don't want to see our friend's name smeared over this.

And sorry for the book. haha
Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phildo
Ya this shows how you offered. You have pictures so lets get something done here.

The only joke around here is the package job and the fact that it is satisfactory to you.

I offered the very instant you said it was the shippers responsibility to contact UPS. And as a matter of fact I went and printed the pics off today and went directly to the guy that packaged the turbo. He as well as the rest of us still think your crazy for causing such a commotion about this. But he is willing to back his work up, so he will be filing a claim tomorrow once I email him the tracking number for the transaction which I will do concluding this post. I could have done this friday had you got the pics up when I requested them and that would have saved you 3 days. If you're so impatient that you can't deal w/the minimal wait, then you shouldn't be modding cars!!! It's all about being patient! I had to wait 2 1/2 months to get that S88 turbo. It was supposed to come as a complete kit but the tuner I was dealing with gave up and wasted 2 1/2months of my time!!! As well as I had to take a $400 hit on the turbo itself. I can assure you I didn't even come close to raising as much crap as you have over a few scuffs. I REALLY got hosed! This is the most irrational thing I've seen on this board in all my years!

Last edited by oufan2929; 10-22-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Phildo, im very sorry to hear about your situation, I personally thank you for double boxing my turbo and packing both boxes with bubble wrap. You could have easily "handed" it off to a UPS guy but instead you took the initiative to make sure the packaging was appropriate for the item. I hope things are worked out quickly between you guys where you can get your car back on the road.

Guys, Phildo is a top notch guy from what i can tell and im sure the same is true about oufan2929.
THE bottom of the line is that Phildo purchased a NEW turbo in PERFECT cond. and he feels that what he received is not PERFECT, Its the sellers responsibility to make things right. If that means issuing a refund then so be it. I believe if the man wants a refund he should be entitled to one, oufan2929 can then fight with UPS concerning a damaged item claim and go from there.
Moral of the story:
When shipping expensive goods don't assume that the "SHIPPER" is going to package it just the way you want it.
MAKE SURE its done adequately and if there is still damage upon arrival then its definitely an insurance claim.
Fragile tape may have helped as a deterrent to rough handling as well.

Good luck guys,
Derek

Last edited by Derek @ EDO; 10-22-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
Phildo, im very sorry to hear about your situation, I personally thank you for double boxing my turbo and packing both boxes with bubble wrap. You could have easily "handed" it off to a UPS guy but instead you took the initiative to make sure the packaging was appropriate for the item. I hope things are worked out quickly between you guys where you can get your car back on the road.

Guys, Phildo is a top notch guy from what i can tell and im sure the same is true about oufan2929.
THE bottom of the line is that Phildo purchased a NEW turbo in PERFECT cond. and he feels that what he received is not PERFECT, Its the sellers responsibility to make things right. If that means issuing a refund then so be it. I believe if the man wants a refund he should be entitled to one, oufan2929 can then fight with UPS concerning a damaged item claim and go from there.
Moral of the story:
When shipping expensive goods dont assume that the "SHIPPER" is going to package it just the way you want it.

Good luck guys,
Derek
For the millionth time, the guy does it for a living! I have a landscape company and I spray chemicals on peoples yards to get rid of weeds. It's my profession. If I spray a yard and kill the whole thing, I take full responsibility of it! It's not the persons that hired me responsibility to take care of it! I told the guy today that packaged it that phildo is blaming me for the packaging and he got pissed! He said of course it wasn't my fault! He said he's the professional, how in the world could it be my fault! That again showed how irrational phildo is being. And also, Phildo, check the circle print on the outside of the box, the guy said that shows the wait that that box is capable of holding. Either way, the packaging was done by a professional that deals w/that everyday, and Phildo had zero specifications as to how he wanted me to ship it. I refuse to accept blame for a boxed item that I never even touched and hardly even saw!!!!!!! I'm doing everything the right way, just not phildo's way. That's why this thread is even here, because he didn't get his way. I'm sorry he has to deal w/it, but he'll probably come out better in the end w/money and a perfectly good turbo w/scuffs that will never be seen. I've been on the receiving end of FAR worse things than this! You will NEVER see me act so irrational and whiney!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oufan2929
For the millionth time, the guy does it for a living! I have a landscape company and I spray chemicals on peoples yards to get rid of weeds. It's my profession. If I spray a yard and kill the whole thing, I take full responsibility of it! It's not the persons that hired me responsibility to take care of it! I told the guy today that packaged it that phildo is blaming me for the packaging and he got pissed! He said of course it wasn't my fault! He said he's the professional, how in the world could it be my fault! That again showed how irrational phildo is being. And also, Phildo, check the circle print on the outside of the box, the guy said that shows the wait that that box is capable of holding. Either way, the packaging was done by a professional that deals w/that everyday, and Phildo had zero specifications as to how he wanted me to ship it. I refuse to accept blame for a boxed item that I never even touched and hardly even saw!!!!!!! I'm doing everything the right way, just not phildo's way. That's why this thread is even here, because he didn't get his way. I'm sorry he has to deal w/it, but he'll probably come out better in the end w/money and a perfectly good turbo w/scuffs that will never be seen. I've been on the receiving end of FAR worse things than this! You will NEVER see me act so irrational and whiney!
well. YOU sold the turbo to HIM. its your job to make sure the turbo arrives in satisfactory conditions. if the SHIPPER/PACKAGING person YOU hired did a sucky job, then its YOUR responsibility to fix it. YOU hired him, YOU paid him. YOU chose HIM. professional or not, YOU chose him. YOU handed the responsibility of a $1600 dollar item to someone elese, who apperntly dropped the ball and didnt package it correctly.

i think the turbo should be looked at and checked to make sure its still functional, then phildo has no other reason for a refund.

you have to put yourself in his shows oufan. until he received the turbo and its the condition you said it was, its YOUR responsibility.

just my 2cents. hope issue gets resolved soon.

and for those saying phildo to call ups to file claim, guess your not reading the post before replying, ONLY SHIPPER CAN FILE CLAIM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Moral of the story:
When shipping expensive goods don't assume that the "SHIPPER" is going to package it just the way you want it.
MAKE SURE its done adequately and if there is still damage upon arrival then its definitely an insurance claim.
Fragile tape may have helped as a deterrent to rough handling as well.

Good luck guys,
Derek
I don't think we're trying to attack Phildo's character. I just think the problem we see in this situation is that oufan did everything he thought he could do to protect the turbo. Phildo got the turbo and claimed it was damaged. We can't see any damage done to it, though. It has surface scratches that come from the factory on the majority of turbos. oufan isn't trying to rip him off, and he went to UPS and filed a claim. oufan just doesn't want to be out the money if the part isn't really damaged. And of course it sucks to see your friend's image put through the ringer when it isn't warranted.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Havok2
well. YOU sold the turbo to HIM. its your job to make sure the turbo arrives in satisfactory conditions. if the SHIPPER/PACKAGING person YOU hired did a sucky job, then its YOUR responsibility to fix it. YOU hired him, YOU paid him. YOU chose HIM. professional or not, YOU chose him. YOU handed the responsibility of a $1600 dollar item to someone elese, who apperntly dropped the ball and didnt package it correctly.

i think the turbo should be looked at and checked to make sure its still functional, then phildo has no other reason for a refund.

you have to put yourself in his shows oufan. until he received the turbo and its the condition you said it was, its YOUR responsibility.

just my 2cents. hope issue gets resolved soon.

and for those saying phildo to call ups to file claim, guess your not reading the post before replying, ONLY SHIPPER CAN FILE CLAIM.
oufan is taking responsibility. He went to UPS today with the pictures he just received to file a claim, and the shipper is filing a claim with the insurance people.

You are right about the turbo needing to be looked at. If it really doesn't work, oufan will make sure Phildo gets his money back.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Everyone hold up a minute.. We don't even know if the Turbo is really damaged or not. It has some surface scratching.. period at this point. Since Phildo hasn't taken the time to have the Turbo checked there is onlyPERCEIVED damage to the Turbo. What do you get on a Warranty claim on PERCEIVED damage?!?!? ANYONE!?!?!?!?!?!?! I'll tell you NOTHING absolutely nothing.. Everyone bandwagoning for their particular side is ignorant.. I'm on no one's side. I've met OUfan a few times at car club meetings and from what I know he's a good guy, and I have no reason to doubt him. But this really has nothing to do with him at this point, as NO ONE knows if the freaking Turbo is really damaged or not.. Every bit of conjecture about anyone oweing anyone a refund or repair costs is hypothetical at this point, and reletively pointless.. Phildo have to Turbo checked if it's damaged then you have a freaking problem.. if not then freaking run it and quit this idiotic tirade!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Who should pay for the inspection of the turbo?
oufan2929 are you willing to cover these charges due to your negligence since it is stated above that you are "taking responsibility"?

If the turbo inspection comes out good then thats great, we have all learned a valuable lesson when shipping expensive items, I believe a GREAT seller would offer some sort of compensation for the hassle caused in the process of shipping, a refund on shipping cost would probably be generously accepted. You should also recieve the same compensation from the SHIPPER, this way no one is losing money.

If the turbo inspection shows damages then like stated in the above post oufan2929 will refund the cost of the turbo and take matters into his own hands with UPS.

I believe this will indeed resolve this issue as long as the buyer/seller can come to a similar agreement.

oufan2929- please don't take my messages above personally, Its not "YOUR" fault since you didn't actually package the items but its your responsibility as a seller to make things right. Next time just double check with the packaging
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of opinions so I'll post mine:

The scratches on the turbine aren't from shipping; they are from from the original builder sliding it around on the shelf, during the machine work, etc. Regardless of what is in the sales brochure, 99% of turbos are made from existing housings from major manufactures like Garrett, Holset, etc. Very often, those housings are used and bought for reman. It's no different than when someone buys a 'new' set of heads that are ported OEM castings. Those come with scratches too sometimes.

The internals of the turbocharger are going to see a lot more stress from the car bouncing over a pot hole while spinning at 10's of thousands of RPMs and at hundreds of degrees than it did with bubba tossing it around in a box of packing nuts while cool and idle. I think the UPS guy who packed it didn't understand the math that a 40lb turbocharger is going to crush those loose foam packing

As far as the people involved, I've talked to phildo before on this board and he seems like a good guy. I've met OUFan once, and also, seems like a good guy. My opinion is, Phildo, you are being a little overly cautious with it for the reasons I've mentioned above. No flame, again, that's just what I think based on what I've seen. If I were in this situation and questioned the condition of the turbo, I'd do the following:

Document the condition of the turbocharger.

Ask Oufan to agree to a refund, what ever that looks like after shipping/insurance, etc, if a reputable shop finds the turbocharger is not in serviceable condition.

Have the turbocharger inspected by a reputable shop.

If they find an issue, proceed with the refund.

If they find it is serviceable, the responsibility of the cost of the inspection are Phildos.

Regardless of the principle issue on either side, I think this would be the fastest way to bring the issue to a close and move on. The other extreme is for neither party to accept any risk or responsibility and let it spin for months.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Speed
If they find it is serviceable, the responsibility of the cost of the inspection are Phildos.
You have some great opinions but i would have to disagree on Phildo paying for the inspection even if it does turn out good, IF the package was properly shipped from the seller NO INSPECTION expenses would occur, Phildo has every right to question the health of his turbo after seeing the package.

oufan2929 just needs to bite the expense of the inspection, which he will probably do since he seems to be a good guy,
take this whole ordeal as a lesson learned and move on. Hell, i bet one of the FI sponsors would inspect the thing free of charge or very cheaply if they understand the circumstance. If i had the capabilities of inspecting the TURBO i would have offered my services free of charge as long as shipping was provided.

Last edited by Derek @ EDO; 10-22-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Restricted User

i guess i am one of the ignorant ones then. if i was buying a part and it was my perception that the part was anything other than what i was expecting due to poor packaging, i would expect a refund and the person who shipped it to me can resolve the problem with the contracted shipper. if you look really close at the second picture thats posted, you can see the imprint of the turbo where it rode aginst the inside of the box. the condition of the box used to ship the part in is pretty sad to say the least.

if i was to order a sony tv from best buy, and when i received it there was damage, i would expect to be able to return the item to best buy and let them take the damage up with ups not wait to see who ends up at fault.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oufan2929 are you willing to cover these charges due to your negligence since it is stated above that you are "taking responsibility"?

If the turbo inspection comes out good then thats great, we have all learned a valuable lesson when shipping expensive items, I believe a GREAT seller would offer some sort of compensation for the hassle caused in the process of shipping, a refund on shipping cost would probably be generously accepted. You should also recieve the same compensation from the SHIPPER, this way no one is losing money.

If the turbo inspection shows damages then like stated in the above post oufan2929 will refund the cost of the turbo and take matters into his own hands with UPS.
I believe this will indeed resolve this issue as long as the buyer/seller can come to a similar agreement.

oufan2929- please don't take my messages above personally, Its not "YOUR" fault since you didn't actually package the items but its your responsibility as a seller to make things right. Next time just double check with the packaging
Why are you given advise? I would think as a sponser you would stay neutral and keep your opinions un-tabled from a business stand point. Your standing on one side of the fence and opening your doors for the same thing to happen to you and then your going to have to stand behind your statements. When you sell your products and services do you stand behind them 100% and pay out of your pocket for shipping/examination/testing just so that customer can get a second opinion because of surface scratches on the product?

If so, I would like to buy everything you offer because you would be the only business with this policy! I will expect from now on when I do businesses with you that your going to live up to your new standards you just set for your company!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cliff
Why are you given advise? I would think as a sponser you would stay neutral and keep your opinions un-tabled from a business stand point. Your standing on one side of the fence and opening your doors for the same thing to happen to you and then your going to have to stand behind your statements. When you sell your products and services do you stand behind them 100% and pay out of your pocket for shipping/examination/testing just so that customer can get a second opinion because of surface scratches on the product?

If so, I would like to buy everything you offer because you would be the only business with this policy! I will expect from now on when I do businesses with you that your going to live up to your new standards you just set for your company!!!!!!!!!!!
The only reason why i am posting in this thread is because i have done business with Phildo personally.Im a person just like yourself. Im voicing my opinion on the situation, simple as that. Im not calling anyone involved in this a bad guy at all.
If my opinion i posted sways your decision to do business with me then i guess i just wont get your business, no hard feelings from me.

I have great feedback simply because i care about quality and customer service. If i can address a situation to make a customer of mine happy then thats what i will do. When i ship a package it is packaged appropriately. If you would order a defective product from me i will issue a refund and take it up with the manufacturer. Its a simple business standpoint to make sure that the customer has the easiest transaction possible. I will take charge and handle my end of the deal, ALWAYS.

Derek

Last edited by Derek @ EDO; 10-22-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Actually since Phildo is the one questioning the stability and serviceability of the Turbo he should have it checked at his expense, especially since OUfan2929 shipped it and insured it at his own expense. That's fair as far as I'm concerned. Then if there is damage then there is the point of negotiation of the parties involved.. and as Cliff state shouldn't you be neutral on this due to your position as a Sponser of this site?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks to everyone that is trying to help! At this point I am tired of going back and forth. So here are the options as I see them.

- refund money/return turbo

- Send it in to get inspected and cleared or repaired for service.

He has made it clear no refunds. So let's send it in to get checked out. I will take care of the expense of getting it boxed up (properly) and he can pay the shipping. This sounds fair. If there is a issue with it then we can file the claim to UPS. I have already suggested this along with others but he has gone to UPS first and not replied to me. I have got upset because there is no compromise with him. He just wants UPS to take care of it.

People have been stressing over scratches. I can car less about scratches as I have said before. The point of this is it was obviousy slammed around and I don't know if it took some internal damage. Why should I gamble on running it and possible destroying my motor along with the turbo?

It should go back for inspection at his cost. I had nothing to do with the packaging.

To the people saying I didn't give him packaging instructions, "are you serious?" We are adults here do I really need to give instructions on how to package something? I just shipped a turbo and other than him requesting insurance I made sure it was packaged good enough for transit. UPS recommends that it withstand a 3' fall.

Also I did pay for the shipping. It was part of our arrangement. $1625 shipped. So I am not quite sure where this " I paid out of my own pocket" stuff is coming from. As for making sure the insurance was on it, I just assumed no one would ship a $1600 item with no insurance. If something happen with no insurance it would fall on the seller. So it is just covering his own ***. At least thats the way I see it and have always made sure it was on there when I ship stuff. If I was at fault for anything as far as shipping it was that I did not specify to get insurance. I just assumed. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in