Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Calling Military commanding officers... bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Calling Military commanding officers... bad idea

Ok folks... FYI... Its not in your best interest to call a military installation looking for trouble. Since your not a debt collector (Its illegal for them to call period), most of the time they will tell you to **** off. (I know from exp!)
Doc

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-04-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

My commanding officers LOVED to get phone calls like that and would help anyone get their money back should that be the case. See, if you fail to pay someone for a product, its theft (or take someone's money for a product that was misrepresented). My CO didnt take too kindly to criminals.

HINT: Find the Post Civilian Liaison... usually with the MP detachment... with a letter from a lawyer and they will find whoever you are looking for.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-04-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and i am pretty sure my CO would have a complete case of the *** if i didnt pay for something...
Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

I never met a CO that would turn his back on a claim that one of their solders was screwing someone. IMO- thats not a good CO. They have to make sure you are battle ready and when something external that happens to be negative comes in, it usually gives the unit/branch of service a bad name. At least thats what all my CO's would have said... and then they would have kicked my *** for screwing up.

This should be a sticky so that people know that there is recourse against scammers in the military. You cant hide behind a set of BDU's you know......

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-04-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Had pretty much the same problem at my base with a guy. CO was contacted. CO took care of the problem....quick quick quick. THE END!

Moderator Note: A solider has far more options to approach a CO about another solider at the same base to get action. This does not apply to civilians contacting CO's about similar matters.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-04-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I earned an infraction for violation of site rules.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-04-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is illegal to contact a soldiers chain of command for debt collection.

The military is not a debt collection agency and there are tight policies that determine when the military is allowed to get involved in debt collection in addition to already existing state debt collection laws.

I can tell you that 90% of the people that try to collect debt through the soldiers commands are wrong and the commanders are not even supposed to be getting involved. If a commander gets involved in debt collection when he/she is not allowed to according to policy then the soldier will have a valid IG complaint.

Bottom line is still just dont do bad deals in the first place though, especially if you are in the service, it makes us look bad in general.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-04-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by meandmyls1
So if you're in the military you can rip people off like this and there is nothing they can do about it?
In a situation like in this thread, no the CO cant do anything. The plaintiff would have to file proper filings through the civilian authorities. It would then go from there.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DSIM
Which is why you file "theft by deception" charges in the solders local county and they will send someone to talk to the Post Civilian Liaison (MP's). We had lots of solders that liked to bounce checks off post. They (merchant) would file with the County DA (proof of service rendered and proof of bounced check). Thats when the DA sends out a lovely letter that tells them to pay or show up in court. Should the criminal decide to not pay/show in court.... sheriffs office sends someone to the Liaison to have you pay a visit. If you can pay, you pay. If you cant pay, you go to jail. You want to make a CO angry? There you go.
Correct, debt collectors must go through the civilian authorities first. A debt collector cant just call a CO and hope they will solve it.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I am considering making this a sticky. Comments from those who are currently on contract, Enlisted, Reserve, IRR, NG have posted on how to go about contacting the military for *any* solider regarding a civil matter.

There are also some variants of how to resolve a civil claim with a solider but the bottom line is to do some research to find the proper channels to take first before contacting a Commanding Officer and expect them to resolve your claim.

That Commanding Officer has far more serious things to deal with 24/7/365. They'd rather spend their time preparing their soldiers on how to come home on two feet, not in a box draped with a flag.

Quick Reply: Calling Military commanding officers... bad idea