Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Here is an F.Y.I for any one dealing with Fred O'bannion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Here is an F.Y.I for any one dealing with Fred O'bannion

I purchased the ar he had for sell. The car barely made it to my House 15 miles from where I got it. He advertised it had a built transmission with high performance clutches. It was more like a junk transmission with worn out clutches. Then the car wasn't even in his name. He traded a truck to his brother for the car, and then the titles not even in his brothers name. This is just an F.Y.I. for any one looking at buying anything from this guy.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

It is my understanding that he told you about the title situation before you even bought the car and that you drove the car on two separate occasions to check everything out on it. The trans going out is just bad luck, but as for the title situation I am pretty sure you knew about it before the cash exchanged hands and you still agreed to do the deal. Hell, he had the title in hand when you bought the car and you saw that it was in someone else's name and signed over just not transferred to his name. If you saw it was not in his name and you knew the situation with it then why did you agree to buy the car? No one was twisting your arm making you agree to a situation you didn't feel comfortable with. I know I wouldn't shell out $8000 for a car I wasn't comfortable with. Just my .02.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

You must be his brother that originally bought the car. Yea I rode in the car once with him. and then drove the car the second time in the rain in Kingwood. There was no way I was going to get on the car to find out it had a trashed tranny and converter. I pulled the trans and converter. The converter had pieces rattling arround in it. Its no biggie though I will get it fixed. The title on the other hand I didn't know the bill of sale was made out to you. Its pretty much worthless to me. He also said it wasn't a big deal he could get ahold of the lady. Now he acts like he doesn't want to mess with it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Actually I'm not the brother who originally bought the car, but I am just trying help him out in this situation. I am just trying to understand how, if the bill of sale didn't have the correct names on it, I know I wouldn't accept it. Maybe he could give you a bill of sale with the correct information on it so that you could get it transferred. Just trying to help here and not see someone's name get trashed over what seems like a problem that can be resolved. Unfortunately, **** happens with high performance and its very unpredictable sometimes. It just seems like it happened to you at the wrong time (i.e. after you bought the car).
Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
He also said it wasn't a big deal he could get ahold of the lady. Now he acts like he doesn't want to mess with it.
This what i actually said in a PM to you:

I'm certain you won't have any problems getting the title transfered as it has an open clear title. If you do though let me know and I will be glad to help if i can.
I never once said that i wouldn't help you with the title transfer process. I realize that it's complicated so if you need my help I will.

As for the transmission...I have said this 100 times already, it shifted fine the last time I drove the car and I had no reason to think that it was going out. A tranny going away is pretty hard to hide from someone since all you have to do is either pull the dipstick (which you didn't do) or drive it (which you did twice prior to purchasing). That's all I can do.

I don't think for a second that I took advantage of you or that your were mislead.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

dont you have to transfer the car to YOUR name (fred obannion) then transfer to the new owners name? thats how i understand the rules
Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

So much for the built transmission. It had stock clutches, stock band and no shift kit.
Heres the link for the add
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/937969-fs-99-som-z-28-head-cam.html
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car is at my shop with transmission pulled out and it is a 100% stock unit. Yes the convertor could have went out in the 15 miles Darril drove it home and trashed the transmission but the fact still remains that the transmission is STOCK!!!!

I called Jeff at Fatel and asked him about the car and he even told me that one of the weak part on the car was a stock transmission. When I told Darril this he contacted you and you told him that it was built and even in the ad you listed it was built.

if you are the stand up person you claim to be at least pay for the up-graded part that was put into the tranny that you said was in it.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

06-14-2008, 08:14 PM #1
Fred O'Bannion
Staging Lane

Trader Rating: -1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1999 SOM Z/28 A4 – Very clean car despite the 107,XXX miles on it. I use it as my daily driver and it runs and drives great. The car was not originally SOM. It was painted by the previous owner at a Mercedes Benz dealer less than 2 years ago. In my opinion the paint is the best thing about the car. It really looks great. I have had it at the track but only 10 passes and the fastest it’s been is 12.50 on motor. That was before the heads were installed. I added Nitrous for a short time just to see what it would do and with a 150 shot it ran 11.50 and trapped 121 MPH also prior to heads. I only sprayed the car 5 times and then removed the nitrous. With the addition of the heads (which are stage II Patriots purchased here on LS1tech and only have 500 miles on them) the car should run low 12’s on motor. I have never had it on a dyno so I don’t have any #’s although it was tuned after the cam install. It’s a full weight car with only the spare tire removed.

List of mods:
863 Ported and Polished Heads flow 300 @ 600 lift (the heads were done by Patriot)
Texas Speed Torquer V.3 Camshaft - 231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA
Comp Cams Dual Valve Spring
Hardened Chromoly Pushrods
Built 4L60E with high performance clutches, Kevlar band and shift kit. Shifts perfectly.
Hypertech 160 Degree Thermostat
LS6 Intake
Coated long tube Pacesetters
MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires
3500 Stall Converter
Richmond 3.73 gears
Volant LID
3” Custom true duals with single chamber Flow Masters
Under drive pulley
Walbro 255 in tank fuel pump (installed less than 500 miles ago)

Front tires – 275/40 17” BFG’s brand new (less than 1K miles)
Rear tires – 315/35 17” plenty of good tread here as well. Only had them for a few months also.

When I bought the car it was stock and all work performed has been done professionally by a local shop. The only thing it really needs before heading back to the track (if that’s what you’re into) is a dyno tune. I haven’t had it tuned since the heads were installed. I’m sure there is a lot more power to be made with a good tune.

It is very loud. The cam hits really hard. I will have a sound clip up in a few days. I love this car and hate to see it go but I’m heading back to college and need something a little more economical. I would consider some partial trades for a gas sipper, make me some offers. I have no liens and title in hand…price was 10,000...Now $8,500.

Sound Clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zerjeri-HbY
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

First of all Jeff @ Fatal doesn't know much about the car. All he did was tune it. He has never even opened the hood so I wouldn't put much stock into his opinion on it.

Here's what happened (not that it really matters at this point):

After I added the cam to the car and took it to the track a few times the tranny starting slipping. So I pulled it (myself) and had it rebuilt. Clutches, band and shift kit were added. When I put it back in, it still wasn't right. So I pulled it again. This time we changed converters. Once again it still wasn't right. It was having issues going into high under WOT. Pulled it a 3rd time and this time it was opened up just to make sure everything was ok. Everything looked fine according to my tranny guy so went to put it in agiain (with a different converter). The tranny was sitting on a jack about 3ft off the ground and some how it fell. The case was cracked and ruined.

At this point I was beyond frustrated. I had spent WAY more on this tranny than I had planned. So since I needed a new case anyway I decided to just buy a complete unit. The guy I got it from told me it was a built tranny. My instinct was to open it up and make sure but the fluid was clean and I just needed to get this thing back on the road...I never opened it up. I put it in with another converter and it shifted perfect. Never had an issue so I never doubted the guy. It went to the track a few more times and I never had a problem and was very happy. It shifted hard and gave me the impression that it had a kit in it.

My mistake was advertising it as a built transmission when I didn't know 100% that it was. I apologize for that. I just never had ANY issues with it and I will swear on my kids life that it shifted perfect for me until the day it left my driveway.

As I said I'm probably not going to change any minds here, but that's what happened.

I hope everything else is going ok with the car.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like you owe him a built tranny. if what you say is true, then it sucks that someone bullshitted you. Unfortunitely, it is on you now.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
sounds like you owe him a built tranny. if what you say is true, then it sucks that someone bullshitted you. Unfortunitely, it is on you now.
I would have to agree with you on this one..... at the very least , he should help him out with the parts and/or labor to fix it.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
Then the car wasn't even in his name.
Never purchase a car unless the seller has correct documentation of ownership. You open yourself up to a major headache. The tranny is a different story as stated above in my other post.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fred O'Bannion
First of all Jeff @ Fatal doesn't know much about the car. All he did was tune it. He has never even opened the hood so I wouldn't put much stock into his opinion on it.

Here's what happened (not that it really matters at this point):

After I added the cam to the car and took it to the track a few times the tranny starting slipping. So I pulled it (myself) and had it rebuilt. Clutches, band and shift kit were added. When I put it back in, it still wasn't right. So I pulled it again. This time we changed converters. Once again it still wasn't right. It was having issues going into high under WOT. Pulled it a 3rd time and this time it was opened up just to make sure everything was ok. Everything looked fine according to my tranny guy so went to put it in agiain (with a different converter). The tranny was sitting on a jack about 3ft off the ground and some how it fell. The case was cracked and ruined.

At this point I was beyond frustrated. I had spent WAY more on this tranny than I had planned. So since I needed a new case anyway I decided to just buy a complete unit. The guy I got it from told me it was a built tranny. My instinct was to open it up and make sure but the fluid was clean and I just needed to get this thing back on the road...I never opened it up. I put it in with another converter and it shifted perfect. Never had an issue so I never doubted the guy. It went to the track a few more times and I never had a problem and was very happy. It shifted hard and gave me the impression that it had a kit in it.

My mistake was advertising it as a built transmission when I didn't know 100% that it was. I apologize for that. I just never had ANY issues with it and I will swear on my kids life that it shifted perfect for me until the day it left my driveway.

As I said I'm probably not going to change any minds here, but that's what happened.

I hope everything else is going ok with the car.

It's not that Jeff looked under your hood.....The guy said that Jeff said " the one thing that is weak on these cars is a stock transmission"....Nothing mentioned about Jeff saying your transmission is stock...Jeff was just saying something that most people with A4 f-body guys already know.

Now, lets look atwhat you said in the post above...." you pulled the tranny yourself and had the clutches, band and shift kit installed." end quote.

Again, you say and I quote..." it shifeted hard and gave me the impression that it had a kit in it" end quote.

Last but not least....." my mistake that I advertised that it was built transmission when I didn't know 100% that it was." end quote.

I think the mods can see this one.....I know I can....You probably should make every effort to make this right....Even if you didn't know, false advertisement is still false advertisement....

Last edited by getusum; 08-04-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Guys I appreciate your input but i doubt he is going to do anything to make this right. The least he could have done was offer to split the cost of the converter and transmission. i guess some people you deal with are just that way. All I can say is carma is a motherfu--er. I learned a long time ago friends are harder to make than enemies. I have already had the transmission built with all of the stuff it was supposed to have in it to begin with and also bought and installed a 3800 circle D built converter. The converter that was in it was one of the 4 cylinder converters with the adapter ring on it. I have pretty much worked out all of the bugs in the car like the mass air meter being upside down and back wards (Yea I couldn't believe it either). I did an intake swap (Fast) on it along with plugs, wires, 02's that arent murder spliced. I got the car tuned now buy some one that knows what they were doings and it is a lot better. sure I have a lot more in the car then i wanted to put in it but I guess thats how it goes. Now I just have to figure out if i want to keep it or sell it or trade it to get the SS I wanted to begin with. Lesson learned and like the title said FYI for any one dealing with this guy in the future.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn,that sucks!!!!!!
he should go in & pay at least half........some people step up & some step down,it shows there true colors..............
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

listen to me buddy.... Stop with that whole "karma is a bitch" non-sense. YOu know how karma or the whole "what goes around comes around" thing works?? You MAKE IT COME AROUND!! Dont let him get away with that ****. Pursue legal action. He fuycked you, and you have the proof in writing. He admits to selling you something that wasnt as advertyised. Go after him. At the very least, throw some nails in his driveway, loosen his oil drain plug, something. if you wont take it to the legal system, Cost him what he cost you.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
listen to me buddy.... Stop with that whole "karma is a bitch" non-sense. YOu know how karma or the whole "what goes around comes around" thing works?? You MAKE IT COME AROUND!! Dont let him get away with that ****. Pursue legal action. He fuycked you, and you have the proof in writing. He admits to selling you something that wasnt as advertyised. Go after him. At the very least, throw some nails in his driveway, loosen his oil drain plug, something. if you wont take it to the legal system, Cost him what he cost you.
that will prolly cause more problems than it will solve,
in todays times, causing damge to others or even threats equals hard time.
the seller of the car needs to be a man and step up and take care of the situation by paying the op or reimbursing him for the amount spent.
he did charge him for a built trans. in the price of the car.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

I'm speechless

Quick Reply: Here is an F.Y.I for any one dealing with Fred O'bannion