Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedy turn signals.... cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speedy turn signals.... cold?

This is by no means any sort of problem, just a simply inquiry.

First off, both turn signals work perfectly fine. I just noticed something now that it's starting to get cold in VA. When it's cold out, the turn signals blink noticeably faster than during times that it is warm. Is this an alternator thing?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It ususally means a bulb is burned out.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

When my turn signal was burnt out, the signal indicator just stayed on when I tried to use it. I have no idea why yours would blink faster though.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the chevy cars are noticably slow, does it not blink with the tone that it makes in the car?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

i actually had a fast blinker until one day my front left blinker just stopped working and the blinker held when i tried it after that.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, you all are definitely mistaken me... Everything works fine... VERFIED. I just noticed that when the ambient temperature is cold, the turn signals flash at a more rapid pace. Just like when the car is COLD, the signals work faster. I thought it had something to do with the alt. being cold or something. It was just a random inquiry, but NO bulbs are burnt or anything. It's not a tremendous difference (ie. indicated by a bulb burnt out), it's just a tad quicker.

I was just wondering if there was an earthly explanation... no biggie
Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was just suggesting to watch out because mine were fine for a while just speedily blinking, then one went out.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Faster blinking is caused by a higher current draw on these cars. That can be caused by a higher voltage. When the car is cold the motor is idling faster, plus the battery doesn't take a charge as easily at cold temperatures. Between these two the voltage from the alternator can increase a bit, just enough to speed up the blinkers.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Faster blinking is caused by a higher current draw on these cars. That can be caused by a higher voltage. When the car is cold the motor is idling faster, plus the battery doesn't take a charge as easily at cold temperatures. Between these two the voltage from the alternator can increase a bit, just enough to speed up the blinkers.
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

There is your earthly explanation. lol

Last edited by NHRATRANSAM64; 10-22-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok noobs.

step 1. read post
step 2. think
step 3. post appropriate response

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
i thought the real reason is resistance. heat creates some amount of electrical resistance in the circuit which slows the flasher. now im no electrical master but this has always been my assumption. high idle shouldnt create higher voltage. the pcm decreases the duty cycle at higher rpms to maintain the same voltage.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be changing your blinker fluid every 10k miles to keep them operating properly.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
You should be changing your blinker fluid every 10k miles to keep them operating properly.
yeah i flushed mine this weekend. it was BLACK.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Actually the blinker fluid joke is funny for every other car out there. We actually have blinker fluid, its called rain water that why I have holes drilled in my signals
Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanm86
Actually the blinker fluid joke is funny for every other car out there. We actually have blinker fluid, its called rain water that why I have holes drilled in my signals
Same here, else the get all that water condensed in em that drives me crazy. I just got 2 little holes in the bottom to keep my blinker fluid out ... haha

NORICEINSIDE- I have those same cups
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by noriceinside
i thought the real reason is resistance. heat creates some amount of electrical resistance in the circuit which slows the flasher. now im no electrical master but this has always been my assumption. high idle shouldnt create higher voltage. the pcm decreases the duty cycle at higher rpms to maintain the same voltage.
Resistance is a big part. But voltage and current and resistance all work off each other. The resistance is effectively constant, so with an increase in voltage comes an increase in current. The increase in current makes the flasher switch faster because it heats up a bit quicker.

When the car is cold, the idle is higher, which there is a very slight difference there. When the car is warmed up and idling lower the alternator is at its low point, and while you're right there is regulation, at the very bottom end of the alternator RPM it can drop slightly. That means a tad less voltage when idling at a stoplight, nothing major, but a bit less than the rest of the RPM range. Also, when the battery is cold, it doesn't take a charge as well, so it needs a bit higher voltage to get the charge going. PCM calls for a bit higher voltage to help out.

The voltage in a car is not very tightly regulated, it has a range of variation. That variation is enough to affect our blinkers. Our blinkers stay solid on when a bulb is burned out because there isn't as much current, and that lack of current makes the flasher not heat up enough to switch.

Other cars have electronic flashers that aren't affected by the slight variation in voltage, and respond to the lower current draw by flashing more rapidly to let you know you have a blown bulb.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

My old silverado did that, it is due to the relay! BTW, VA sucks!

Quick Reply: Speedy turn signals.... cold?